Whole Lotta Love single edit

This question is for Americans who were around in 1969. 

Whenever Whole Lotta Love was a top 10 single in late 1969 and early 1970, which version do you remember hearing on the radio during that time, the normal 5:33 version or the short 3:10 version?

The promo copy of the single which was sent to the radio stations contained both versions on either side. I'm sure most of the AM stations played the short version and FM stations the long, but I'll bet there were a few exceptions depending on the station and/or the DJ.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:38 PM, William Austin said:

This question is for Americans who were around in 1969. 

Whenever Whole Lotta Love was a top 10 single in late 1969 and early 1970, which version do you remember hearing on the radio during that time, the normal 5:33 version or the short 3:10 version?

The promo copy of the single which was sent to the radio stations contained both versions on either side. I'm sure most of the AM stations played the short version and FM stations the long, but I'll bet there were a few exceptions depending on the station and/or the DJ.

AM radio played the short version, and FM played the long version.  I'm sure there may have been some exceptions to that general rule.  I actually remember only two lengthy classic rock songs on AM radio that weren't cut, and that would be "Hey Jude" & Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone".  My friend's older sister, who frequently drove us places, used to tell us that certain songs, especially guitar solos, were cut on AM because youngsters like us with developing brains would be adversely effected.  Still makes me laugh.  Cutting them on AM radio was one thing.  Cutting them and offering a shorter version on Greatest Hits albums from the era was down-right criminal.  "Make Me Smile", "Black Magic Woman",  & "Angry Eyes", to name a few.  

WABX Detroit.....The Greatest rock station ever !    

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...