Earls Court May 24th, 1975

Paulus

I think it's a great one. But I would guess most hardcore Zep fans would say the March 21 Seattle show is the best of 1975.

When it comes to the five Earls Court shows, opinion is split as to the best of them, but to the extent there's a consensus, it appears to be that a combination of the 24th and 25th would represent the best Earls Court concert and one of the top '75 shows.

2 hours ago, tmtomh said:

I think it's a great one. But I would guess most hardcore Zep fans would say the March 21 Seattle show is the best of 1975.

When it comes to the five Earls Court shows, opinion is split as to the best of them, but to the extent there's a consensus, it appears to be that a combination of the 24th and 25th would represent the best Earls Court concert and one of the top '75 shows.

That's a perfect summary👍 and the way I like to digest the EC SB/audio feeds: first hour 5/25, than 24 (No Quarter, Trampled, Dazed, Stairway)

And for  the encores; 5/25. 

For 75, I like 2/8/75, 2/12/75, 2/14/75, 3/12/75, 3/20/75, 3/21/75. I also like the 2/10/75 show a lot. 3/4/75 has good moments too. LA Forum shows don’t get much spin for me. 3/27/75 is epic.

Earls Court has significance, which is priceless. Dazed from 5/24/75 is great.  But for overall performance I would take 2/8/75, 2/12/75, and 3/12/75 over the EC shows.

Hoping that the Philadelphia 2/8/75 and Long Beach 3/12/75 shows make it out of the soundboard vaults one day.

7 hours ago, duckman said:

That's a perfect summary👍 and the way I like to digest the EC SB/audio feeds: first hour 5/25, than 24 (No Quarter, Trampled, Dazed, Stairway)

And for  the encores; 5/25. 

Black dog from 5/24 is far superior to the version from 5/25. I completely agree with the rest of your post.

I personally think this is one of the band's most overrated shows. The first half of the show is actually pretty below average by 1975 standards. Page is erratic and Bonzo sounds half asleep. Not to mention the show is beset by PA problems. To my ears, the show doesn't start cooking until Trampled Underfoot, and from then on it's quite strong, with some of the best performances of the Earls Court run (Dazed, Stairway, etc). I've never got the love for NQ at this show. To me, it's just an average version with a good piano solo from Jones being the only real standout.

In terms of 1975, I prefer shows like 1/22 Chicago, 2/8 Philadelphia, 2/12 New York, 2/28 Baton Rouge, 3/12 Long Beach, and 3/21 Seattle way more. Even just judging from the Earls Court shows, I think the 5/18 show wipes the floor with this one (just listen to that version of NQ and compare it to this one - no contest imho). Matter of fact, I'd rank it 4th out of the 5 shows, behind only the 5/17 show. 

Edited by ZepHead315

• 2 weeks later...

While I agree with several of the previous comments, I'd like to say that I think 5/24/75 is one of the best VOCAL performances of 1975 in terms of overall quality. I am really hard pressed to find a better show vocally, and in 1975, vocals were usually the weakest part of the show. 

Far from the best of 1975, IMO, and I love 1975.  Having said that, Dazed is the first live version I heard, and I've always had a soft spot for it.  Trampled, Moby Dick, Stairway, WLL (incl. Turn On Your Love Light!) & Black Dog are great too.

I would take all of these '75 shows, in chronological order, over May 24:

1/22 Chicago -- The lack of punch in the recording makes it a bit hard to judge, but I'll take it because of the unique setlist

2/8 Philadelphia -- Maybe Page's best night of the year

2/12 New York -- Very energetic Bonzo--see "Heartbreaker"

2/13 New York -- All of the songs that are great on 5/24 are played just about/at least as well here, and the others are much better

2/28 Baton Rouge -- First two thirds of this are great and last third not so much; 5/24 is the inverse...I'll take two good thirds over one I guess

3/3 Ft. Worth -- Amazing Bonham show

3/12 Long Beach -- Phenomenal top-to-bottom by all four of them

3/17 Seattle -- I'll take this NQ over the much-ballyhooed version from 5/24 any day

3/19 Vancouver -- Fantastic top-to-bottom, and it helps that it's one of the best sounding boards ever

3/20 Vancouver -- One of the best nights of the year for Page & Plant IMO

3/21 Seattle -- Best of the year IMO and one of my personal all-time favourite, plus JPJ's best show of their career if I had to single one out (harder for him than the other three)

3/25 Los Angeles -- Similarly very strong last third to 5/24, but a better first two thirds IMO

3/27 Los Angeles -- Always a personal favourite, and all-time favourite NQ...just epic

5/18 London -- By far the strongest Earls Court show IMO, and I'd say top three of the year along with 3/12 & 3/21

5/23 London -- Perhaps lower peaks than the 24th, but much more consistent

5/25 London -- If only Dazed from the 24th was played on this night...would have been the final performance Dazed deserved, not that the 5/25 version is bad

There’s a lot of magic on 5/24, NQ, Tangerine, a wonderful acoustic set and a fine Stairway.  But the best thing about it is what’s for my money the greatest ever Trampled.

Best overall 75 show imo is Seattle 321 followed closely by Long Beach 312.  Couldn’t agree more with duckman, if we ever get multis from EC that will be epic to say the least.  The dry boards from this era don’t do the band many favors.  A properly mixed multi from Mr Page would silence any naysayers.