Scam/Spam calls getting more sophisticated and dangerous

LedZeppfan1977

I get them all the time, they amuse me they are so obvious.  Calls about my internet being corrupted are the most common either by person to person or recorded message. The message type I just hang up the P to P I play along with them until they hang up. I get some that tell me I'm going to be arrested for non payment of tax, calls informing me my internet is going to be cut off within 24 hours. I've had calls supposedly from the police, I just tell them to send me a letter and hang up. I'm not going to be taken in by anyone who calls me by phone. I didn't get any at all for a while when I had my call blocker turned on, for some reason I turned it off, just not got around to switching it back on. As SAJ said their target is primarily the elderly who are more likely to be taken in by these scum bags.

My Father fell for their act before he passed away.  He answered the phone to, "Grandpa ???"  He immediately thought it was my oldest nephew calling from out of town, mentioned his name, and the scammer rolled with it.  Told him he got picked up for drunk driving in Atlanta, and didn't want his wife or Mom to know.  Pops sent a check for $1500 bucks to an offshore account.  They used the excuse it was for bail.  We never had a clue until after the fact, when he figured it out for himself that he had been scammed.  A hard lesson learned.  After he passed, we also found out he was sending cash to one of the Lakota indian tribe schools out West.  Lol....they were sending him supposed indian blankets made in China in return.

I kept getting the auto extended warranty calls on my cell phone once I retired.  I finally answered one, and told them I wanted to extend the warranty on my 13 year old truck with 170,000 miles on it.....never heard from them again.       

• 3 weeks later...

I don't answer any call that comes from a number that isn't identified or is from someone I don't know. Then I block that number and add it to my "reject call" list on my phone. Makes my life a lot easier.

Edited by Strider

23 hours ago, Strider said:

I don't answer any call that comes from a number that isn't identified or is from someone I don't know. Then I block that number and add it to my "reject call" list on my phone. Makes my life a lot easier.

I just want to answer them and grunt like a caveman.

• 1 year later...
On 6/6/2019 at 12:39 PM, JTM said:

I get them all the time, they amuse me they are so obvious.  Calls about my internet being corrupted are the most common either by person to person or recorded message. The message type I just hang up the P to P I play along with them until they hang up. I get some that tell me I'm going to be arrested for non payment of tax, calls informing me my internet is going to be cut off within 24 hours. I've had calls supposedly from the police, I just tell them to send me a letter and hang up. I'm not going to be taken in by anyone who calls me by phone. I didn't get any at all for a while when I had my call blocker turned on, for some reason I turned it off, just not got around to switching it back on. As SAJ said their target is primarily the elderly who are more likely to be taken in by these scum bags.

Update, I've discovered that the Recorded Message type of call that there is someone listening in, waiting for the bait to be taken. I now talk to them,  "I know you are listening fukwad, did you know your mother has "*** with ****",  one of the many insults I have thrown at them, the line soon goes dead, mid message.

5 hours ago, JTM said:

Update, I've discovered that the Recorded Message type of call that there is someone listening in, waiting for the bait to be taken. I now talk to them,  "I know you are listening fukwad, did you know your mother has "*** with ****",  one of the many insults I have thrown at them, the line soon goes dead, mid message.

Ha! That is hilarious. Going to try that.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Ha! That is hilarious. Going to try that.

Also, before I talked to the messages I would pick up the phone and remain silent, that too ended the call, I knew it was a scammer from the caller display. After doing that for a while I would answer the call with a grunt, then the recorded message would kick in, one of many, so that's when I had the thought that somebody was waiting for an answer so they could press a button to start the recorded message. When I started "talking" to them and the call would come to an abrupt end mid message, sometimes with the click of a receiver I knew I wasn't being mad talking back to them. 

Edited by JTM

On 6/6/2019 at 12:30 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I just got one saying they are Social Security Administration.  Bullshit.  I asked this asian Indian fella that answered why I was flagged, and he quickly hung up on me.  I could hear the chatter of a room full of fucking trolls on their phones

If so, it probably was the Social Security Administration.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:44 PM, reids said:

Scary: There’s a new one where they’re calling saying they have a family member hostage for $ and the number is the phone number of the relative. 

https://www.cbs46.com/news/phone-scam-relative-held-hostage/video_ef54929c-690a-5bc3-b8cc-9050449f095c.html

R😮

I would ask how much they'd want to keep them.