Photo of Band Taking a Bow at MSG July 73' Shows

David Wetzel

Hi guys, I'm looking for a photo of the band taking a bow after one of the MSG shows in 73' July 27, 28, 29. 

Specifically, one night the President of Atlantic Records, Jerry Greenberg played the congas during the encore of "Whole Lotta Love," and took a bow with the band afterwards. 

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the reply and sound bite from this interview with Jerry Greenberg.

We just did a great on camera interview with him here in Los Angeles for a 70's rock documentary our production company is developing.

During the interview, Jerry gave us that story too (he's a great guy). 

After reviewing the set lists from all the Led Zeppelin shows from the early 70's it seems that the MSG shows ending with "Whole Lotta Love," during their three night stand on July 27, 28, 29 in 73' is possible.

I know the encore(s) is / are other songs for those shows but the shows ended with "Whole Lotta Love." 

We're trying to find a photo of Jerry taking a bow with the band to purchase / license one copy of such a photo and have it mounted and framed as a gift to Jerry for his time.

It may have been at the second show on Sept 19, 1970 at MSG as the last song was a long medley of "Whole Lotta Love," 

Any advise / help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Dave

I'm a bit skeptical of this story, wouldn't Plant have mentioned him as he said goodnight to the crowd after WLL?  All three MSG '73 shows are bootlegged, in particular WLL is complete, I'm unaware that he makes any mention of someone else on stage with the band.

6 hours ago, David Wetzel said:

Any advise / help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. 

My hunch would be July 29, 1973 which was the last show of the tour. Additionally, Ahmet Ertegun hosted a party immediately afterward at the Carlyle Hotel, presenting them with gifts and their gold record awards for 'Houses of the Holy'. 

It wouldn't be any of the July 73 shows -- we have video footage of the end of WLL for all three nights and no sign of a conga player nor congas (Bonham had timpani by then). Mike Quishie, a dancer, played the gong at the end of the 29th WLL.

I direct you to this picture from 1971.09.03 New York -- looks like someone's playing congas next to Bonham (or it could be his drum tech). However, by the looks of Page's fingers on the fretboard and JPJ using a pick this could easily be WLL (if not Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker, or Black Dog).

71-09-03a_0.jpg

Edited by ledzepfilm

Thanks so much for this picture and insight, this community is amazing for its depth of Led Zeppelin information.  

I'll focus our efforts on finding any photos / footage from the Sept 3, 1971 MSG show, especially those regarding, "Whole Lotta Love," and the post show bow by the band. 

Thanks for the help! 

Dave 

On 6/8/2019 at 11:08 PM, David Wetzel said:

Thanks so much for this picture and insight, this community is amazing for its depth of Led Zeppelin information.  

I'll focus our efforts on finding any photos / footage from the Sept 3, 1971 MSG show, especially those regarding, "Whole Lotta Love," and the post show bow by the band. 

Thanks for the help! 

Dave 

That's the night the stage fell apart during the encore Thank You , and had to be jury rigged so they could complete the show. 

I wish we could see the complete 7/29/73 WLL ending, with Mike "The Limbo King" Quashie  fire eating and dancing while Bonzo goes into a jungle drum trance for like 10 minutes!! Where is that footage??? 

17 hours ago, porgie66 said:

That's the night the stage fell apart during the encore Thank You , and had to be jury rigged so they could complete the show. 

I wish we could see the complete 7/29/73 WLL ending, with Mike "The Limbo King" Quashie  fire eating and dancing while Bonzo goes into a jungle drum trance for like 10 minutes!! Where is that footage??? 

Sign me up for that and the Oakland gig in 77' where a dancer joined them onstage and even danced on the piano during NQ I believe.