Whats the Weather like in your part of the world ?

coogeeboy

Well, it's 9am at the moment here on the west coast of Ireland. There's a bit of a strong fresh breeze and it's cool. We had some fierce rain over the last week but it's stopped now, and gotten colder. I like it!

Here in upstate NY... cold and sunny... but the weather is always changing and unpredictable...

proof:

December 18th: 62 degrees, no snow and my lilac bushes began to bud!

December 27th: 11 degrees, 3 feet of snow with a solid layer of black ice

Jaunary 11th: All the snow melted, but its a cold 12 degrees

January 25th: 30 mph winds (50 mph gusts), White-out conditions, 22 degrees, with a 1 degree windchill

so... its always exciting up here

well it is very hot in Melbourne today but I cooled down by visiting all the Music shops in my area. God Bless Air conditioning. I'm going to get Air Conditioning tomorrow. God bless Department stores

Oh and God Bless Led Zeppelin. (I AM NOT A MORMAN)

Well I live close to Houston in Texas and the weather during Winter is different everyday. haha

The other day it was clear and cold. Then it was warm-where I was using the ac and in shorts with no shirt.

Now it is kinda muggy and raining.

It won't stop snowing. And it's really windy. I've decided that the next time I walk outside to head to class this afternoon, I'm gonna be wearing skiing goggles and I don't care how stupid I look.

What time's your next class? I'll look for you so I can point and laugh!

But I'll have mine on too. Mine are pink Smiths. ^_^ I'm a bit dissapointed. I bought a new coat and its supposed to be delivered today---I don't think its going to make it in these conditions. :lol: I was hoping to get to wear it to school.

It very very windy here in the Dallas area today.....

And.... Over in CHINA... the worst winter storms since the 1950's......

[bTY, China doesn't want to speak of the Millions that starved to death back then, anymore than Turkey wants to talk about the Armenian Genocide...]

Jan 29, 9:01 AM EST

Winter Storm Chaos Grips China

By WILLIAM FOREMAN

Associated Press Writer

Snow Strands Thousands at Chinese Rail Station

GUANGZHOU, China (AP) -- Deadly winter storms - the worst in five decades - showed no signs of letting up Tuesday in China, where cities were blacked out, transport systems were paralyzed and a bus crash on an icy road killed at least 25 people during the nation's busiest travel season.

The extreme weather - blamed for 54 deaths in the past two weeks - was walloping China as the country began one of the world's biggest annual mass movements of humanity: the Chinese New Year festival. Before the storms, railway officials estimated that a record 178.6 million people - more than the population of Russia - would travel by train for the holiday, which begins Feb. 7.

But hundreds of thousands of those travelers spent another day shivering outside railroad stations as they learned that their trains were canceled. Most were migrant workers trying to leave booming southern Guangdong province - often called the world's factory floor because it makes everything from Honda sedans to Apple iPods and Nike sneakers.

Those traveling by bus or car took big risks on the frozen roads in southern provinces, which have been suffering their heaviest snowfalls since the 1950s. Expressways were shut down in the nation's financial capital, Shanghai, because snow and sleet made them a slushy treacherous mess.

The worst accident since the blizzards began happened Tuesday when a 35-seat bus slid off an icy mountain road and plunged 40 yards into a valley. The crash in Guizhou province killed 25 people, the State Administration of Work Safety said.

Another bus in northwestern Gansu province flipped over on icy roads and killed four people, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.

Several cities suffered blackouts as heavy snowfalls snapped power lines and hampered the delivery of coal, used to generate most of China's electricity.

In industrial Guangdong, huge red banners were hanging around the train station in the provincial capital of Guangzhou, urging migrant workers to scuttle their plans to return home, cash in their tickets and return to their factory dormitories. About 200,000 people took the advice and got ticket refunds, railway officials said, while about 200,000 continued to linger at the station in a bone-chilling drizzle.

Thousands stood under umbrellas that formed a huge canopy in the train station's plaza, while a larger crowd huddled beneath a highway overpass in front of the station hoping to catch a train. But the busy Beijing-Guangzhou line may not return to normal for three to five days, Xinhua said.

Wang Jigen was one of many workers who couldn't cash in his ticket because he had no place to go. The 50-year-old day laborer left his job before the holiday and couldn't afford to stay in a hotel until the trains began running again to his home in the western province of Sichuan.

"I spent last night outside at a bus depot," said Wang, dressed in a ragged sweater and a dusty olive corduroy coat. "I have no idea where I'll sleep tonight or how I'll ever get home."

Just blocks away from the station, migrants were finding emergency shelter in the China Import and Export Fair exhibition center - a complex with enough space for three or four football fields. The place was packed with travelers sitting on their luggage. Free water bottles were being passed around, and lunch boxes of rice, chicken legs and cabbage were being sold for about US$1 (euro0.68).

The general mood seemed calm and stoic - in line with the traditional Chinese trait of "chi ku" or "eating bitterness," enduring hardship without complaint. But legions of police and soldiers were ready for any disorder, and the nation's leaders scrambled to show the public that they were on the case.

State broadcaster CCTV showed Premier Wen Jiabao meeting officials telling stranded travelers at the Changsha train station in central Hunan province that the trains would start again soon.

"Let me express my apologies for you all having been stuck here," Wen said through a megaphone to a huddled crowd that cheered and applauded.

But the nation's top leader, President Hu Jintao, warned of more bad weather and urged officials "be aware of the seriousness of the situation and be fully prepared to prevent and fight disasters."

So far, the central government has given a total 126 million yuan ($17 million) in aid to six provinces and one region battered by the winter weather, Xinhua said.

In China, the New Year holiday is as important as Christmas is in the West. For most migrant workers, it's the only time of the year when they can visit their hometowns. They often take a month off to feast with their families and perform a series of rituals.

Spending the holiday in Guangdong was a painful thought for Wang Yusheng, a 33-year-old salesman from the central province of Henan. He nibbled on a chicken wing outside Guangzhou's station as he slowly gave up hope of going home. His backup plan was to spend the holiday where he works in the city of Shenzhen, near Hong Kong.

"We in the North eat dumplings during the holiday, but people in the South don't," said Wang. "Southern food really tastes terrible. It's really going to be different celebrating the New Year here."

Archived