Sick Again Solo

Of all the things I expected from a Led Zeppelin concert, Jimmy nailing the "Sick Again" solo was the least of my concerns.

Frankly, I don't recall any "Sick Again" solos that were  particularly egregious...maybe not perfect, but not awful, either. I am sure there are some performances out there that come pretty close to being "note-perfect". Try Copenhagen '79 perhaps?

Come on now. Get ahold of yourself. From memory, 3/21/75 and 5/30/77 were great. Try 3/19/75 too. If that doesn't do it for you, keep looking. I'm sure there's one out there that you'll love.

I know what you mean though. Not Jimmy's best moments! The new 3/24/75 soundboard Sick Again is decent, but boy they don't nail it! 

It mostly sounds better as an audience recording. The whole song is incredible live, but I think the solo was meant more for studio recording because it seems he plays it too fast or doesnt get the right tone. Some beautiful versions i found (partially thanks to your suggestions) are:

4/28/77

4/30/77

3/21/75

3/12/75

3/19/75

• 2 weeks later...

4/27/77 is also good rendition of the solo in the middle of the song.  In Sick Again, as in Celebration Day, the more interesting part is the outro solo which extends way beyond the studio version.

In Sick Again Jimmy would conjure up an abstract haze of intensity in the outro.  That is where he really shines in Sick Again live, beyond the great  riffing and rhythm work. 

The whole problem with Sick Again live is there really needed to be a rhythm guitar while Jimmy played the solo. No matter how well Jimmy nailed the solo the song always sounded wrong to me live due to the lack of rhythm guitar during the main solo.

I will always believe Zep should have added a second guitarists for the 75' tour on as many of their songs by that time simply could not be played live by three musicians, regardless of talent.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

On 7/4/2019 at 4:43 PM, PeaceFrogYum said:

The whole problem with Sick Again live is there really needed to be a rhythm guitar while Jimmy played the solo. No matter how well Jimmy nailed the solo the song always sounded wrong to me live due to the lack of rhythm guitar during the main solo.

I will always believe Zep should have added a second guitarists for the 75' tour on as many of their songs by that time simply could not be played live by three musicians, regardless of talent.

That's a valid point re: a second guitarist although Zep RARELY ever used other musicians onstage.  I believe that Atlantic Records VP Phil Carson played bass once, Richard Cole played tabla drums on "Whole Lotta Love" once and Keith Moon famously played drums once live at the LA Forum on 06/23/1977.  But those were basically one-off performances and I don't think that Zep were very interested in using other musicians, and that of course made Page's job challenging for the need to be selective in his playing.  Zep surprisingly pulled off "Ten Years Gone" in 1977 with Jonesy playing bass pedals and 12-string guitar together.

Also, re: "Sick Again", by 1977 Jimmy was performing the song coming out of "The Song Remains The Same" using the double-neck guitar's 6-string neck rather than the Les Paul, and I don't know if that made any difference in his sound or playing.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iFwqXSQn20  Peace.

Edited by DDEENY

On 7/8/2019 at 6:13 PM, Blaize86 said:

He didn’t even nail it in the studio.!! Check out Montreal 1975 where he adds an extended solo at the end ( almost like a 3rd one ). He is lightening fast and in the groove. 

That whole Montreal show has Page at this best with Bonzo & Jones locked in and out for blood. Even Plant sounded good for 75' here and there in this show.