Jimmy Page - The Anthology Book - by Genesis

The Rover

I received mine yesterday. 

Wow it is massive and fully of really interesting JP quotes and quips.  Very much worth it's price.

I had no idea JPP was such a hoarder.  By the end I thought there were be a deluxe, two page photo spread on a hamburger wrapper from 1972. :)

40 minutes ago, Paimonus Rex said:

I received mine yesterday. 

Wow it is massive and fully of really interesting JP quotes and quips.  Very much worth it's price.

I had no idea JPP was such a hoarder.  By the end I thought there were be a deluxe, two page photo spread on a hamburger wrapper from 1972. :)

Nice! Looking forward to getting my copy soon I hope.

Quickly reviewed the notes in the book (and there are many!)

Jimmy used the Gibson Switchmaster Es-5 on Candy Store Rock, Vox and Fender 12 string guitars are on Stairway, and Ibanez Guitar (donated by members of ABBA) was used on Fool in the Rain, and Ten Years Gone had a Sunburst Fender Strat with maple neck and a White Fender Strat with rosewood neck on the recording.

Zeppelin rehearsed more tracks for the O2 show than they played. Notes in the book say that Four Sticks, Carouselambra, Wanton Song, the Rover, Over The Hills, Dancing Days, Houses of the Holy, Custard Pie, Going to California,, Rain Song, Immigrant Song and What is and What Should Ever be were played.

(I did not see much if any notes on the Les Paul wiring changes he made from the standard setup but will have to doublecheck)

Edited by sixpense

On 5/12/2020 at 3:42 PM, sixpense said:

Received my signed copy today (#63) The quality of the maufacturing is outstanding!

Box Cover.jpg

Number.jpg

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

It's impossible for me to afford it :'(. If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

The 'Standard Edition' that will come out in September is the same but without Jimmy's signature?

Edited by Rodrigo

On 5/12/2020 at 12:45 PM, sixpense said:

Quickly reviewed the notes in the book (and there are many!)

Jimmy used the Gibson Switchmaster Es-5 on Candy Store Rock, Vox and Fender 12 string guitars are on Stairway, and Ibanez Guitar (donated by members of ABBA) was used on Fool in the Rain, and Ten Years Gone had a Sunburst Fender Strat with maple neck and a White Fender Strat with rosewood neck on the recording.

Zeppelin rehearsed more tracks for the O2 show than they played. Notes in the book say that Four Sticks, Carouselambra, Wanton Song, the Rover, Over The Hills, Dancing Days, Houses of the Holy, Custard Pie, Going to California,, Rain Song, Immigrant Song and What is and What Should Ever be were played.

(I did not see much if any notes on the Les Paul wiring changes he made from the standard setup but will have to doublecheck)

Curious what it says about Page's Marshall Amp modded by Tony Franks?  Or his Tonebender?

This for sure is a great book, many interesting gear revelations and for once Jimmy doesn't have that almost unshakeable

guarded nature he is known for, although of course nothing controversial is approached. Unfortunately over the last 15-20

years. I've lost a certain amount of respect for Jimmy. Not really his lack of musical output( new music) but the many cheesy and sometimes astronomically priced media( books, CD's on the 3rd remaster, etc.). Well he got it right this time.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:11 PM, pluribus said:

Curious what it says about Page's Marshall Amp modded by Tony Franks?  Or his Tonebender?

The Marshall Amp is not a standard Marshall 100 but a Marshall Super Bass Amp! He has a pic of the tonebender and mentions it  (I purchased the same pedal reissued a few years back) He states that it wasn't the first pedal he used. He mentions (and has a pic) of a DeArmond pedal that he used in sessions. He also mentions Roger Mayer who produced a lot of Hendrix's pedals. 

Funny tho Jimmy doesn't go into the Supro amp too much. 

Another surprise in the book is Jimmy says he overdubbed bass at the end of That's the Way. He says he borrowed JPJ's bass and added it as an overdub.

There seems to be one contradiction. Jimmy writes that he used an early sixties white Stratocaster with a rosewood neck on 10 Years gone. He had traded this guitar to JPJ for Jones' banjo which Page used on Gallows Pole. I recall a post on Jimmy's website for "on this day" where there is a recent photo of him holding a white Stratocaster with a maple neck and said that the Strat he was holding was the guitar he used to record 10 Years gone with and that Jones had borrowed it from him many years back and it just recently returned back to him. Not sure if he got the story mixed up or that this is another guitar he also used on the track.

Edited by sixpense

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On 6/7/2020 at 9:35 AM, Cecil. said:

For anyone who has the book, does it mention the Roland guitar synthesizers.

He used a couple and appeared in press adverts for the company.?

Page 284 Roland Guitar Synthesizer (GR-500) - May 78 Clearwater Castle Rehearsals - Riff became Who's to Blame and also used on Carouselambra

Page 299 Roland G-808 (1979 Model-Natural Finish) Used on Death Wish

Pge 320 Roland G-707 (1984 Model) Nickname of 'Dalek's Handbag' Used on Prison Blues 

Edited by sixpense

On 7/16/2020 at 7:53 PM, sixpense said:

Page 284 Roland Guitar Synthesizer (GR-500) - May 78 Clearwater Castle Rehearsals - Riff became Who's to Blame and also used on Carouselambra

Pge 320 Roland G-707 (1984 Model) Nickname of 'Dalek's Handbag' Used on Prison Blues 

Would have been interesting to see Jimmy use one of these guitars live in The Firm or Outrider.

On 7/20/2020 at 2:36 PM, zeplz71 said:

Would have been interesting to see Jimmy use one of these guitars live in The Firm or Outrider.

I think that might have been brutal.  All three of them are really odd beasts to ride.  NOT conducive for slippery, sloppery players.  You really kind of have to learn a new style of picking to avoid a giant clam bake :) 

On 7/17/2020 at 8:53 AM, sixpense said:

Thank you,

Never knew his used one back in 1978....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Picked this up today. New interview with Jimmy promoting his book. It's on overview of his career, nothing really earth-shattering or any news of the future. He's playing guitar during lockdown but wouldn't go into further details when pressed about it.

cr-jp.jpg