LED ZEP reaction videos on YouTube

I like a few of them, but some are meh.... 

STB does pretty good reactions. He has decided to go through the entire Zep catalogue which I find interesting.

No Life Shaq is a funny fucker. Good reactions to Zep.

It is fun to me to see young people who have not heard most of the great '70's rock-n-roll giving it a go and being completely blown away by the fact that the musicality is so front and centre - and so good. Some of them seem genuinely amazed/delighted at songs that have a minute or more intro piece before the song and singer gets underway (so to speak). Zep and other bands like Pink Floyd, Ted Nugent, even artists like Boz Scaggs reactions are like they are discovering a divine music they can't believe exists and can't believe they have not heard before or missed out on. To me it says a LOT about how the current generation are missing - and long for - a more substantive music experience. Not the disposable pop rubbish that seems to make up the mainstream offerings now. Who will remember the current crop of artists in 10 or 20 years from now? Most (like +95%) will be long forgotten.

58 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

STB does pretty good reactions. He has decided to go through the entire Zep catalogue which I find interesting.

It is fun to me to see young people who have not heard most of the great '70's rock-n-roll giving it a go and being completely blown away by the fact that the musicality is so front and centre - and so good. Some of them seem genuinely amazed/delighted at songs that have a minute or more intro piece before the song and singer gets underway (so to speak). Zep and other bands like Pink Floyd, Ted Nugent, even artists like Boz Scaggs reactions are like they are discovering a divine music they can't believe exists and can't believe they have not heard before or missed out on. To me it says a LOT about how the current generation are missing - and long for - a more substantive music experience. Not the disposable pop rubbish that seems to make up the mainstream offerings now. Who will remember the current crop of artists in 10 or 20 years from now? Most (like +95%) will be long forgotten.

You touch on an interesting subject. As much as we think Led Zeppelin was a bad ass band with a killer catalogue majority of Zeppelin fans during their existence were white males and females. Though it’s well documented how diverse their music was from beginning to end, (ie) Black mountain side, with the Indian styled tabla beats. (Personally love this song). 

Though majority of their concerts where played in America and never having toured Latin America Led Zeppelin up to 1971 were a “word of mouth band” so a lot of people of color weren’t introduced to Zeppelin when they had some amazing album coming out (ie) Marvin Gays 1971 (what going on) plus Stevie Wonder 1972 (Talking Book. ) 

with the internet we are witnessing another resurrection of classics rock bands that usually were not noticed by POC, example would be how a new group of MTV watchers of the 1980s discovered Led Zeppelin by them playing : The  song remains the same movie. ( I fall in that group) well now the Youtube generation are discovering the Mighty power of Led Zeppelin. 

• 1 month later...

I like Soul Train Bro. He is genuine, he'll tell his viewers if he's heard a song before. If he doesn't like a song, he won't post the reaction. He's got a great voice for late night radio. 

This is his latest LZ reaction.

On 7/5/2019 at 10:51 PM, rm2551 said:

I love STB! Great reactions and commentary. 

I had a thought the other day. Mr. EaglesOfOneNest and I were having lunch at a generic chain restaurant that's near where we work, so we eat there frequently. The only thing we HATE about it is the inane, bubblegum, auto-tune pop crap they play in the background. I'd rather hear silence, or even static and it's a major turn off (we are sensitive; there is a place by our house that we walked out of because of the dreaded REGGAETON on the sound system!). 

Anyway, brought up a question for me. Back in the golden era of classic rock; mid 1960's through late 1970's, was there some equivalent to the pop crap we have today and was it widely played (and then forgotten?). 25 years from now, will there be any memorable music from this era? 

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2019 at 8:36 AM, EaglesOfOneNest said:

I love STB! Great reactions and commentary. 

I had a thought the other day. Mr. EaglesOfOneNest and I were having lunch at a generic chain restaurant that's near where we work, so we eat there frequently. The only thing we HATE about it is the inane, bubblegum, auto-tune pop crap they play in the background. I'd rather hear silence, or even static and it's a major turn off (we are sensitive; there is a place by our house that we walked out of because of the dreaded REGGAETON on the sound system!). 

Anyway, brought up a question for me. Back in the golden era of classic rock; mid 1960's through late 1970's, was there some equivalent to the pop crap we have today and was it widely played (and then forgotten?). 25 years from now, will there be any memorable music from this era? 

Even much of the pop songs of the 60's & 70's were pretty good, excellent compared to today's music. The 60's girls bands make the Spice Girls, Destiny's Child, and K-Pop all look like crap by comparison. The 70's pop with Seals & Croft, England Dan and John Ford Coley, Poco, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Ambrosia, 10CC and on and on were all good tunes and are still played today because they were well constructed songs with good writing. The problem with today's songs are recycled melodies, inane lyrics, and everything auto-tuned and / or pitch corrected.

When you sing a song you should do your best but its the real feel of a true vocal performance, the warmth and sincerity that makes all the difference. I would rather hear Patti Smith or Bob Dylan belt out a sincere performance vs. some auto-tuned or perfectly polished American Idol clone with zero sincerity and lack of unique style any day.

Bottom line is people just stopped trying and have relied 100% on technology and slick production to deliver what is in affect a golden turd.

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2019 at 10:46 AM, PeaceFrogYum said:

Even much of the pop songs of the 60's & 70's were pretty good, excellent compared to today's music. The 60's girls bands make the Spice Girls, Destiny's Child, and K-Pop all look like crap by comparison. The 70's pop with Seals & Croft, England Dan and John Ford Coley, Poco, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Ambrosia, 10CC and on and on were all good tunes and are still played today because they were well constructed songs with good writing. The problem with today's songs are recycled melodies, inane lyrics, and everything auto-tuned and / or pitch corrected.

When you sing a song you should do your best but its the real feel of a true vocal performance, the warmth and sincerity that makes all the difference. I would rather hear Patti Smith or Bob Dylan belt out a sincere performance vs. some auto-tuned or perfectly polished American Idol clone with zero sincerity and lack of unique style any day.

Bottom line is people just stopped trying and have relied 100% on technology and slick production to deliver what is in affect a golden turd.

Thanks... that's kind of what I thought. I read something somewhere that all pop music today is created by one person and it's basically the same song that the recording engineers tweak slightly. 

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said, Soul Train Bro is head and shoulders above everyone else. He offers genuine insight and analysis. It seems like the others think it's enough simply to nod along and make the occasional approving noise. 

Also, I can't help feeling there's something unsavoury about the whole enterprise. The reactors are mostly young black people trying to make a buck out of their YouTube channel. Now there's absolutely nothing wrong with that but think about what's going on for a minute. Why do so many of them choose to react to Zeppelin and other classic rock artists? Clearly it's because there's money to be made. Some of these channels have hundreds of thousands of subscribers. A couple have over a million.

So the logical next question is, why are these videos so popular with predominately white, middle-aged-and-up classic rock fans? Particularly given how many are extremely low effort?

I can't shake the suspicion that a large part of the appeal is something along the lines of, "Wow, old white people! Your music is WAY better than our rap and hip-hop rubbish!" I'm sure some of the reactors genuinely like the music they're hearing. But have you ever seen one where they didn't? Me neither. Which leads me to the uncomfortable conclusion that a lot of it is simply telling white people what they want to hear for money. 

21 hours ago, RoyHarper said:

I can't shake the suspicion that a large part of the appeal is something along the lines of, "Wow, old white people! Your music is WAY better than our rap and hip-hop rubbish!" I'm sure some of the reactors genuinely like the music they're hearing. But have you ever seen one where they didn't? Me neither. Which leads me to the uncomfortable conclusion that a lot of it is simply telling white people what they want to hear for money. 

I couldn't disagree more. I love giving reaction video's a go. It nothing to do with me being a white almost 50 year old male. It has EVERYTHING to do with the pride I have in my love for the greatest 4 piece rock/blues band ever assembled. Seeing younger - or older, black - or white people make a video and listen to a Zep song for the first time (at least that's the premise) is cool to see the reaction. The best ones remind me of how exciting it was for me all those decades ago. It's great when you have a very strong love for something and realise someone else "gets it". That someone has just realised, while I watch, just how incredible this band is. THAT is it for me. It's nothing more than that. It certainly is nothing to do with being better than anything else. I like some stuff in other genres. I don't like hearing people trash blues/rock - especially Zep - so I try not to trash other music (a challenge in these times)

As for the motivations of the posters, no doubt not all are genuine "reactors" and have $$$ motives, and that's fine. But to think they are all just stroking old white guys ego's doesn't sound right to me. A few of them have followers that are predominantly their own peer group (no life shaq, STB)

Whatever the motivation, some of the reactors are genuinely surprised and blown away by Zeppelin songs.

Like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z0CaBSQhyI

He seems genuinely surprised at how good they are. He does an equally expressive reaction to You Shook Me which is quite entertaining.

STB is indeed one of the best reactors. going through the catalogue and each song is fantastic. Him coming from his Dad's old blues legends angle is great too.