Earls Court - May 24, 1975 (ANOTHER TONE THREAD - SORRY!)

sethlqg

Hi guys!

So I'm really new to guitars (in fact, I don't even own one yet!) and I'm wondering if it's at all possible to get this kind of sound out of a good guitar and a small-ish amp (10-15W - I think it would be stupid to put a Marshall SLP in my house, because my neighbours would complain)? I SIMPLY CAN'T STAND THE TONE OF HIS GUITAR AT 1:20:08~

I know some of you really know your onions when it comes to Page's tone, so I was wondering if it's possible to get this tone and, more importantly, how?

If I can't get a good, meaty sound out of a guitar without getting a 200 W Marshall, then I might just give up on electric and just play a cheap acoustic for laughs every now and then.

Thanks guys :)

Hi guys! So I want to start playing guitar, but before I go out and buy the equipment I'd like to know if it's at all possible to achieve the sound I want, particularly the sound Page got on May 24, 1975.

I've already done quite a lot of research, but most of what I found was 'Marshall SLP1959 + Les Paul', but when I look at demos of the stuff on Youtube it doesn't sound close to what I want (although, this may be in large part due to Page using a wah pedal). So is it possible to get a '59 Les Paul VOS and say, a Marshall SLP1959 or even an SV20H? I think a huge part of the sound is probably from the insane volume, which I obviously can't get to in my bedroom...

So, I know a lot of you are 'tone freaks' so I wonder if you can give me any advice on this?

If you listen to this: https://youtu.be/Qzg0Je6A7gY?t=4808 

THAT'S THE TONE I WANT TO GET and being a total noob, I have no idea if I can get anywhere near this with standard equipment?

Thanks guys! :)

you can get very small tube/valve amps which create great tone and crunch at a low volume so you can play in your home.  Blackstar do a 1W model, which I have and use at home and they do an even better 5 watt model. Many amp companies now do a small size valve model Epiphone, Orange. Fender do a 15 watt valve amp - blues junior and may do even smaller

not all of them will give the tone you're maybe looking for  are worth trying. you can also utilise pedals to enhance your sound - overdrive or distortion

You will never hear the proper tone on bad recordings. These EC recordings are very sterile with no bottom. The 18th to me has the best overall heavy sound where Jimmy tone is more evident. 

Archived