Knebworth '79: What Stands Out?

Spesh531

[As I've been teasing on my YouTube channel for a while now], I'm making a "Best of Knebworth 1979" in the style of TSRTS and my other "Best of" videos.

Before I really get into the nitty gritty of listening to both concerts and Frankensteining a "best of" version, I'd like to know, in your opinion, what stands out?

Example 1: I think the intro to No Quarter on the 11th is notable for inclusion, due to it's uniqueness.

Example 2: Plant can't hold the note without voice cracking in Since I've Been Loving You, transitioning from the intro to the verses on the 4th, and is notable for exclusion.

Example 3: Maybe a particular song's performance is rough on a particular night, but the solo section sounds superb. Or overall, the performance was great, but the solo was lacking. The other night's superior section of the song will be laced into the original night's.

Songs from Knebworth:

The Song Remains the Same 

Celebration Day 

Black Dog

Nobody's Fault but Mine

Over the Hills and Far Away 

Misty Mountain Hop

Since I've Been Loving You

No Quarter

Ten Years Gone*

Hot Dog

The Rain Song

White Summer

Black Mountain Side

Kashmir

Trampled Under Foot

Sick Again

Achilles Last Stand 

Page solo

In the Evening

Stairway to Heaven 

Rock and Roll

Whole Lotta Love 

Heartbreaker*

Communication Breakdown^

*Only played on the 4th

^Only played on the 11th

Edited by Spesh531
Misuse of "1979" in first sentence when I meant to say "TSRTS"

Well I liked the version of “In the evening” on the DVD officially released better than the one where Jimmy has a cigarette in his mouth while playing. (Hope that helps) I thought ALS on the DVD was awesome too. Would like to see what you do with Sick again,  nobody’s fault but mine, trampled underfoot Kashmir and the rain song if they did that one...not sure?

22 minutes ago, Night_flight3030 said:

Well I liked the version of “In the evening” on the DVD officially released better than the one where Jimmy has a cigarette in his mouth while playing. (Hope that helps) I thought ALS on the DVD was awesome too. Would like to see what you do with Sick again,  nobody’s fault but mine, trampled underfoot Kashmir and the rain song if they did that one...not sure?

Nobody's Fault, Kashmir, Sick Again, ALS, In the Evening, R&R, and WLL were all on the DVD.

Why can’t he nail the Ten Years Gone solo. ? Didn’t Beck call Jimmy bumblefingers?  A simple passage  that he composed himself !!! plus the triple neck you can barely hear. Quite a lot of bad versions in both shows to many songs. This stands out as a cringe fest. 

On July 8, 2019 at 4:10 PM, Spesh531 said:

Nobody's Fault, Kashmir, Sick Again, ALS, In the Evening, R&R, and WLL were all on the DVD.

Yeah i think these run of songs on the dvd are just as enjoyable to listen to as the early material on the dvd. That being said, i rarely watch the dvds anymore, the song remains the same, lz dvd, celebration day, unledded page and plant. So hopefully in the future there are live shows released on a site or format so people with mobile lives can listen to audio during the day and wherever they are. 

In regards to one song...i think, in the evening was a important song at knebworth and tour over europe. I guess for them it was an important song at that time, representing rebirth, reinvention and survival. 

Also, i got to hear robert plant sing, in the evening on his 1988 tour and it was a highlight and page and plant play it in 1995 and it sounded so great with the orchestra. They were able to slow it down and illustrate what a great riff that is...like the who did, with 5:15. In the evening was a very memorable song from page and plant in 95 and i am surprised they didnt play it in 2007 w the great jpj synth sound...or do a heavy version with jpj on bass. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:28 PM, Night_flight3030 said:

I remember seeing Plant Now & Zen 88’ tour. 

First time Doing Zepplin live  I almost creamed my pants when they did In the Evening. 

FIFY.

I started the project, and currently have the draft version of "The Song Remains the Same" and "Celebration Day" done.

I'm no longer worried about a lack of material for the 11th. The 11th has a lot of material to patch in over the 4th. My biggest worry is the soundboard mix 4th vs 11th. I haven't compared the two later in the concert, but in the beginning, the sound varies:

August 4th: Loud guitar and louder vocals. Bass is nearly in audible. The sub bass frequencies barely even show in the mix. (So far, I've raise the sub bass frequencies, mainly below 90hz.)

August 11th: Quiet guitar and quieter vocals. Loud bass. The mix sounds very odd when fading from the 4th to the 11th (and vice versa). The challenge is trying to bring out the guitar and vocals without the bass and drums. Which is hard to do on a single source (as opposed to a multitrack).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to alleviate some of these issues?