Orlando '71 - best source?

RoyHarper

Hello fellow Zep-heads

I'm enjoying the Orlando Magic bootleg from 8/31/71 but have noticed some of the tracks are from an inferior quality source, while others cut off before the end .

Rather than download another one at random, are you guys aware of a better option from the below?

LZ 1971-08-31 Florida Sunshine (EVSD 225-228)
LZ 1971-08-31 Orlando Matrix
LZ 1971-08-31 Orlando, FL (SBD) (KRW_CO)
LZ 1971-08-31 Welcome To Disneyland (Lemon Song)
LZ 1971-08-31 You Really Got Me (Genuine Masters)

Also, while I'm at it, I'm looking at 8/21/71 for my next acquisition. 

Which would be the best bet out of this lot?

LZ 1971-08-21 Audience Recording – 1st Gen
LZ 1971-08-21 Audience Recording – 2nd Gen (dadgad)
LZ 1971-08-21 Firecrackers Explosions (EVSD 305-306)
LZ 1971-08-21 LA Forum (Eddie Edwards)
LZ 1971-08-21 LA src 1 2nd gen Reel SPC (pernod)
LZ 1971-08-21 Los Angeles aud D Melton tape
LZ 1971-08-21 Wild Weekend (TDOLZ VOL.38)
LZ 1971-08-21&22 Los Angeles 1971 (2011) (A Doinker Tape)
LZ 1971-08-21&22 Walk Don’t Run (Tarantura – TCD-81 TCD-82)

Any and all help much appreciated!

The soundboard tape for Orlando is incomplete with various cuts, so if you want the most complete version of the show, you'll have to put up with the inferior audience tape to fill in the gaps. As for which release is the best, I've heard quite a bit of praise for the Genuine Masters one, so I'd say go with that one.

For LA 8/21, go with Pernod's 2nd gen reel. It's the most natural sounding and unprocessed version. That source is incomplete, however, so you'll need the second source to fill in the gaps. For that source, go with the Melton tape. Specifically, try to find the one titled "Meltin' the Forum".

Hope this helps! :) 

3 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

For LA 8/21, go with Pernod's 2nd gen reel.

Not actually Pernod's reel, merely his speed correction of that transfer (which is actually a 1st gen, as stated in the info. The folder was mislabelled as a 2nd gen.) That reel belongs to and was transferred by BillB.

I would recommend EVSD's Florida Sunshine over the GM one, but they are very similar sounding (EVSD seems to be a little lighter in the bass frequencies, which is why I prefer it to GM).

59 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

The soundboard tape for Orlando is incomplete with various cuts, so if you want the most complete version of the show, you'll have to put up with the inferior audience tape to fill in the gaps. As for which release is the best, I've heard quite a bit of praise for the Genuine Masters one, so I'd say go with that one.

For LA 8/21, go with Pernod's 2nd gen reel. It's the most natural sounding and unprocessed version. That source is incomplete, however, so you'll need the second source to fill in the gaps. For that source, go with the Melton tape. Specifically, try to find the one titled "Meltin' the Forum".

Hope this helps! :) 

Certainly does help, thank you!

50 minutes ago, ed141 said:

Not actually Pernod's reel, merely his speed correction of that transfer (which is actually a 1st gen, as stated in the info. The folder was mislabelled as a 2nd gen.) That reel belongs to and was transferred by BillB.

I would recommend EVSD's Florida Sunshine over the GM one, but they are very similar sounding (EVSD seems to be a little lighter in the bass frequencies, which is why I prefer it to GM).

So great to have such a wealth of knowledge on hand. Many thanks 🐵

1 hour ago, Cosmic_Equilibrium said:

On a related note, do most recordings of the 08/21/71 show run fast? (as someone above recommended getting a speed corrected version of it). I have TDOLZ 'Wild Weekend' but to my ears I think it runs correctly?

Thanks

Doinker's transfer (which is the best version of Source 1) runs too fast, but Pernod's speed correction fixes that. Source 2 (Meltin' The Forum, adds Celebration Day and beginning of That's The Way) runs a bit slow, but not very noticeable.

Edited by ed141