"Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" Anyone else looking forward to this film?

kipper

5 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Ill watch it for sure.  I lived in LA, Rodando Beach in 1961.  Only problem was, I was only 4 years old.  1 year.  Then my wicked late grandmother somehow talked my mother and late step father to come back here.  I returned there in 2015 and met up with Sean.  I really want to go back soon.  

"Redondo". 

I ride my bike down there from just north of Palos Verdes (Rat beach) to Marina Del Rey and back a couple of times per week.  In the mid '60s my uncle owned a home just up the beach in Hermosa right on the Strand.

I still go to Redondo to have a 'fire chief' mai tai at Tony's on the pier and watch the sunset every now and then.  Sunsets still look the same from that vantage point, you forget about all the crap going on back behind you across the rest of the country.

So you moved from sunny SoCal to ass freezing upstate NY as a kid?   That is a crime brother.  This state/region has many problems but lousy weather ain't one of them.

photo1jpg.jpg

4 hours ago, kipper said:

"Redondo". 

I ride my bike down there from just north of Palos Verdes (Rat beach) to Marina Del Rey and back a couple of times per week.  In the mid '60s my uncle owned a home just up the beach in Hermosa right on the Strand.

I still go to Redondo to have a 'fire chief' mai tai at Tony's on the pier and watch the sunset every now and then.  Sunsets still look the same from that vantage point, you forget about all the crap going on back behind you across the rest of the country.

So you moved from sunny SoCal to ass freezing upstate NY as a kid?   That is a crime brother.  This state/region has many problems but lousy weather ain't one of them.

photo1jpg.jpg

Rub it in.  I had no say in the matter.  Yes, Hermosa is a very short drive right up the beach.  I went to Manhattan Beach with Sean.  I love it there.  On our return we flew into Vegas, drove to San Diego and then to LA.  We hit West Hollywood for dinner at the SUR  and we went to the Zoo and Del Mar in San Diego.  Then we drove to San Fran and flew back from there

On 8/1/2019 at 11:21 AM, kipper said:

*******SPOILER ALERT***********

(soundtrack below)

Well since you already posted the link to the song list I'll go ahead post the soundtrack as found on youtube. If you haven't seen the film and enjoy being surprised by the music as it appears in a film don't listen. For those of us who lived in SoCal 50 years ago the songs and the radio advertisements will take you back to that time as if you are traveling in a time machine listening to KHJ 'Boss Radio' on your AM radio during that fateful summer in '69 while riding your Schwinn Sting Ray bike, skateboarding to local market to buy a ice cream, cruising down the blvd in a convertible, laying on the beach or whatever.  As odd as it seems Los Angeles was a much smaller place 50 years ago even as it was still a huge city... just so many fewer people.  If you didn't live here back then you won't appreciate this film the way some of us do.  Tarantino effectively turns back the clock for 2 hours and 39 minutes and puts us right back where we were a few weeks after we had put a man on the moon and before a band of depraved evil hippies stole any innocence that was still left in the City of Angels.

You and all the other posts on this thread make it tempting to go see this. I have a pair of movie passes waiting to be used, I may use it this weekend and go this. Here's a guide to the music included in  'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.' https://ultimateclassicrock.com/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-music/

Edited by luvlz2

18 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

You and all the other posts on this thread make it tempting to go see this. I have a pair of movie passes waiting to be used, I may use it this weekend and go this.

Yup. Our neighborhood crew is going to see it tonight - 6:45 showing. Looking forward to it! 

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Yup. Our neighborhood crew is going to see it tonight - 6:45 showing. Looking forward to it! 

Terrific. Hope you get to see it on 35mm film. And stay through the closing credits. If your crew tries to get you to leave early, adamantly tell them "No".

Lots of theatres have different promo items and special things that only they are showing. The New Beverly is giving out buttons and have special shirts for sale, as well as showing full episodes of "Bounty Law", the tv western that Leo's character worked on. The Cinerama Dome has special shot glasses and tumblers for sale and gave away programs and poster maps of Hollywood.

So when I saw it with friends at the Vista the other day, we got a special treat...a 1965 Bruce Lee screen test for "The Green Hornet".

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Terrific. Hope you get to see it on 35mm film. And stay through the closing credits. If your crew tries to get you to leave early, adamantly tell them "No".

Lots of theatres have different promo items and special things that only they are showing. The New Beverly is giving out buttons and have special shirts for sale, as well as showing full episodes of "Bounty Law", the tv western that Leo's character worked on. The Cinerama Dome has special shot glasses and tumblers for sale and gave away programs and poster maps of Hollywood.

So when I saw it with friends at the Vista the other day, we got a special treat...a 1965 Bruce Lee screen test for "The Green Hornet".

It is simply amazing to watch Bruce Lee in action. The man was so damn fast, almost inhumanly fast yet powerful as well. Lee during martial arts demonstrations would often face off against another, tell that person exactly how he was going to punch, where he was going to punch him, and even let him know when he was going to strike yet even knowing all of this they still could not evade his punch.

7 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

It is simply amazing to watch Bruce Lee in action. The man was so damn fast, almost inhumanly fast yet powerful as well. Lee during martial arts demonstrations would often face off against another, tell that person exactly how he was going to punch, where he was going to punch him, and even let him know when he was going to strike yet even knowing all of this they still could not evade his punch.

Yes indeed, however....BL isn't shown very favorably in this film. I won't say anything more than I was surprised at QT's portrayal of him. 

Edited by porgie66

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

Yes indeed, however....BL isn't shown very favorably in this film. I won't say anything more than I was surprised at QT's portrayal of him. 

It could be the "unreliable narrator" effect. We are seeing Bruce through Cliff Booth's flashback. Maybe Cliff is embellishing his memory a little?

15 hours ago, Strider said:

It could be the "unreliable narrator" effect. We are seeing Bruce through Cliff Booth's flashback. Maybe Cliff is embellishing his memory a little?

Probably, make sense, however Shannon Lee is less than thrilled at her fathers portrayal. Then again, it's obvious from the ending that, well, nevermind.

19 hours ago, Strider said:

Very plausible. Or in Tarantino's comic fantasy world, Cliff is such a badass that he could take him in a real fight, which sets the stage for later.

5 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Probably, make sense, however Shannon Lee is less than thrilled at her fathers portrayal. Then again, it's obvious from the ending that, well, nevermind.

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

Very plausible. Or in Tarantino's comic fantasy world, Cliff is such a badass that he could take him in a real fight, which sets the stage for later.

If that one scene with Cliff Booth was the only scene Bruce Lee had in "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood", I might take issue with Quentin's making him out to be an arrogant asshole. But Quentin shows Bruce Lee twice later in the movie in a professional and affectionate way...once training Sharon Tate for her fight scene with Nancy Kwan in "The Wrecking Crew" (I am also glad QT used the actual Sharon Tate scene from the film and did not digitize Margot Robbie into the footage) and another scene with Bruce training Jay Sebring in a friendly manner.

11 hours ago, Strider said:

If that one scene with Cliff Booth was the only scene Bruce Lee had in "Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood", I might take issue with Quentin's making him out to be an arrogant asshole. But Quentin shows Bruce Lee twice later in the movie in a professional and affectionate way...once training Sharon Tate for her fight scene with Nancy Kwan in "The Wrecking Crew" (I am also glad QT used the actual Sharon Tate scene from the film and did not digitize Margot Robbie into the footage) and another scene with Bruce training Jay Sebring in a friendly manner.

I believe the majority of this movie is supposed to be the recollections of Cliff Booth after the fact and the true end of the movie was Cliff walking out the door with his dog, everything after that is the result of Cliff's "choice" to smoke the "cigarette" which resulted in what happened next.

The scene above is another clue to this line of reasoning as that one scene involved Cliff whereas the other two did not and showed Lee more accurately.

What do you think?

37 minutes ago, redrum said:

One of the funniest scenes was when the Italian wife looks out of the bedroom and then ducks back in. :lol:

When I saw the film the biggest laugh in the theater came at the "don't cry...." quote outside of Musso and Frank grill.

la-1562980894-ygsitbwsr0-snap-image

Some of my favourite lines and big laugh-getters...

"Don't cry in front of the Mexicans".

In 15 years you'll be living it, pumpkin puss".

"My booze don't need no buddy".

Anybody accidentally kills someone, they go to jail. It's called manslaughter.

"Nah it was dumber than that".

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Love “pumpkin puss”! One of my new go to pet names! 🤣 Is the young actress who was in that scene anyone of any other films/tv? 

7 hours ago, Strider said:

The "don't cry in front of the Mexicans" got a huge laugh. That was the line I was referring to above.

Another favorite of mine was the scene where Cliff was explaining to Clem at Spahn ranch what "the requirements" were for his boss's car.   I won't say more about the scene but it ranked up their with the scene where Cliff and Bruce Lee caused a problem for the wife of the stunt coordinator.

A little Manson Family trivia (nothing to do with anything in the film):

Steve Grogan (aka: Clem) was a ranch hand at Spahn Ranch before Charlie and company arrived and convinced George Spahn to let them stay there. Clem was later implicated in the murder of another ranch hand Donald "Shorty" Shea (killed on Manson's orders) and was eventually tried and convicted along with Manson and fellow family member Bruce Davis.  To date Grogan (Clem) has been the only convicted Manson family murderer to have been paroled. Part of his parole consideration was based on the fact that Clem later helped investigators find the body of Shorty Shea found at the ranch in 1977 eight years after the murder took place. 

Hey Stider,

I don't recall but did you hear any "n-words" in this film?  I don't remember any, and if so that alone makes this film very different than most other QT films.

6 hours ago, Walter said:

Love “pumpkin puss”! One of my new go to pet names! 🤣 Is the young actress who was in that scene anyone of any other films/tv? 

Quentin Tarantino first saw Julia Butters on a tv show called "American Housewife" and got the idea to cast her.

1 hour ago, kipper said:

The "don't cry in front of the Mexicans" got a huge laugh. That was the line I was referring to above.

Another favorite of mine was the scene where Cliff was explaining to Clem at Spahn ranch what "the requirements" were for his boss's car.   I won't say more about the scene but it ranked up their with the scene where Cliff and Bruce Lee caused a problem for the wife of the stunt coordinator.

A little Manson Family trivia (nothing to do with anything in the film):

Steve Grogan (aka: Clem) was a ranch hand at Spahn Ranch before Charlie and company arrived and convinced George Spahn to let them stay there. Clem was later implicated in the murder of another ranch hand Donald "Shorty" Shea (killed on Manson's orders) and was eventually tried and convicted along with Manson and fellow family member Bruce Davis.  To date Grogan (Clem) has been the only convicted Manson family murderer to have been paroled. Part of his parole consideration was based on the fact that Clem later helped investigators find the body of Shorty Shea found at the ranch in 1977 eight years after the murder took place. 

Hey Stider,

I don't recall but did you hear any "n-words" in this film?  I don't remember any, and if so that alone makes this film very different than most other QT films.

Thankfully, no use of the word "nigger". After his last two movies it needed a rest.

9 hours ago, redrum said:

Which parts did Clu Gulager and Brenda Vaccaro play? I was shocked to see both their names, but especially Clu. Bet he loved getting that call for the part. :)

Clu is a New Beverly regular...always sits in the front row. I bet he didn't even have to wait for a phone call. QT probably told him in person. Clu also shows up at the American Cinematheque and Noir City and TCM Film Festival screenings around town...always front and center. Eddie Muller acknowledges Clu at the Noir City screenings.

Actually had the good fortune to sit next to Clu at a screening of "The Killers" that he and Lee Marvin starred in 1964.

Did you catch the Maltese Falcon statue that Margot Robbie fondles in the bookshop?