"Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" Anyone else looking forward to this film?

kipper

17 hours ago, Walter said:

It's a typical QT film.  Lots of story that, at the time, seems like a lot fluff - but in the end, it all makes sense.  I need to see it again to pick out more details, but I normally say anything over 1.5 hours had better be worth it....this was over 2.5 hours and I never left my seat.  Just my opinion though.

Spot on and probably the first thing you and I have agreed on in years.  And yes when you see the film a 2nd time you will really appreciate how the pacing and the diaologe all comes together brilliantly even for some parts which during the first time you saw it may have thought kind of slow.

Before I went to see the film the 2nd time I had already determined one particular part a little over halfway in where Rick Dalton was having a long scene with a young actress on the set waiting for their call (I won't say more) and I thought if I had needed a restroom break that would be the part where I would quickly take care of business. As it turned out however I didn't need to break and am very happy to have watched that scene again, followed the dialog and the emotion in it more closely and it was one of the best scenes in the film. No wonder QT left it so long--- it was probably the single most important  interaction that the main character (Rick Dalton) had.  To many a movie goer raised on the current flash and bang of superhero type films they would think that scene to be slow and boring, but it is really the heart of the whole film. The point where Rick Dalton is  at his precipice in life not certain where thing will go for him, and aside from everything else going in with everyone else in the film it is his really important moment.

I'm actually hoping to see if QT will ever do a limited release with even more material. I wonder what Tim Roth's deleted scenes were to be about?

At the New Beverly Cinema website (the theater owned by Quentin Tarantino) they posted an essay about the film. The essay is full of spoilers so don't follow this link if you haven't seen the film yet. But for those who have it is a really great read.

From the website spoiler warning:

"Warning – this piece contains major spoilers. We waited a couple weeks before posting this, but if you haven’t seen the movie yet, and you are worried about spoilers, please read this essay after viewing."

here is the link (SPOILER WARNING!!!!)

http://thenewbev.com/blog/2019/08/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood/

19 minutes ago, kipper said:

Spot on and probably the first thing you and I have agreed on in years.  And yes when you see the film a 2nd time you will really appreciate how the pacing and the diaologe all comes together brilliantly even for some parts which during the first time you saw it may have thought kind of slow.

Before I went to see the film the 2nd time I had already determined one particular part a little over halfway in where Rick Dalton was having a long scene with a young actress on the set waiting for their call (I won't say more) and I thought if I had needed a restroom break that would be the part where I would quickly take care of business. As it turned out however I didn't need to break and am very happy to have watched that scene again, followed the dialog and the emotion in it more closely and it was one of the best scenes in the film. No wonder QT left it so long--- it was probably the single most important  interaction that the main character (Rick Dalton) had.  To many a movie goer raised on the current flash and bang of superhero type films they would think that scene to be slow and boring, but it is really the heart of the whole film. The point where Rick Dalton is  at his precipice in life not certain where thing will go for him, and aside from everything else going in with everyone else in the film it is his really important moment.

I'm actually hoping to see if QT will ever do a limited release with even more material. I wonder what Tim Roth's deleted scenes were to be about?

Absolutely, that scene with the young "Meryl Streep" type method actor is so integral to the core of the story. There will be an extended version for digital release, most certainly.  There was a lot that was cut/omitted. I believe the Tim Roth stuff was related to the Great Escape. There should be much more of that tangent on the digital version. 

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/21/2019 at 8:02 PM, Strider said:

I was afraid it was Ian McCulloch.

So...obviously you know yourself better than anyone, and if you think you would fall asleep during "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and want to wait until it comes out on dvd or whatever, fair enough.

Personally, I find it easier to stay awake during long movies in a theatre than at home. In a theatre I can concentrate and the size of the screen and the sound immerses me into the film's world and I forget about the outside world. At home there are too many potential distractions. With the look and sound of "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", a big theatre showing a 35mm print is the best way to see the film, in my opinion.

You didn't say how old you were...I am nearly 60 and regularly sit through Godfather 1 & 2, The Good, Bad & the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in America, Once Upon a Time in the West, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001, and sitting through the Tarantino was a piece of cake. The movie flew by for me and that wasn't the case for his previous movie "The Hateful 8". 

But there are a couple of things that I think will determine whether this movie is for you.

1. Do you like other Tarantino movies? If you didn't like any of his other movies I doubt you are going to like this one. Although in some ways this is his most relaxed and less caustic (especially compared to "Django Unchained" and "Hateful 8") movie in years, it still has some of the hallmarks of a QT film. Long scenes of dialogue...digressions and flashbacks within scenes...bare feet...vintage automobiles...sudden eruptions of violence...retribution.

The camera is not zipping all over the place. There aren't edits every two seconds. The camera lingers allowing you, the viewer, to take in the faces and scenery in detail. There aren't spandex-clad groups of people and cgi-monsters fighting each other and destroying cities and planets willy-nilly.

The first two thirds may seem aimless...it is the very definition of a hangout-movie. But the ending validates and ties up the movie's themes nicely.

Demystification. Resurrection.

2. You will definitely appreciate and understand this movie more if you a) grew up in Southern California in 1969; b) have a love for old TV westerns such as Gunsmoke, Wanted: Dead or Alive, etc.; and c) have a good knowledge of the Manson murders. 

Apologies for taking so long to respond. I didn't get to see OUATIH at the cinema, I waited for the Blu-ray, I did fall asleep watching, not a fault of the film, me, I'm so unfit/unhealthy (I'm 63 btw). I made it through at the second attempt.

I do like Tarantino movies, I've seen most with the exception of Four Rooms and Grindhouse, I have half a dozen on DVD, Blu-ray. I have though not watched any of them more than two or three times, Pulp Fiction maybe half a dozen views. So I can't say I know any of them that well.

Anyway, I've just got "Hollywood" back off a friend who borrowed it so I'll stick it in the player over the weekend. Oh, that ending, genius, never saw that coming.

8 hours ago, JTM said:

Apologies for taking so long to respond. I didn't get to see OUATIH at the cinema, I waited for the Blu-ray, I did fall asleep watching, not a fault of the film, me, I'm so unfit/unhealthy (I'm 63 btw). I made it through at the second attempt.

I do like Tarantino movies, I've seen most with the exception of Four Rooms and Grindhouse, I have half a dozen on DVD, Blu-ray. I have though not watched any of them more than two or three times, Pulp Fiction maybe half a dozen views. So I can't say I know any of them that well.

Anyway, I've just got "Hollywood" back off a friend who borrowed it so I'll stick it in the player over the weekend. Oh, that ending, genius, never saw that coming.

No worries JTM. I have a friend who is only 52 and he can't watch anything without falling asleep in 20-30 minutes. He can barely last through a sitcom episode. It doesn't matter if it's great or bad, long or short, movie or tv show, once he sits down to watch something after work he's out within thirty minutes.

12 hours ago, Strider said:

No worries JTM. I have a friend who is only 52 and he can't watch anything without falling asleep in 20-30 minutes. He can barely last through a sitcom episode. It doesn't matter if it's great or bad, long or short, movie or tv show, once he sits down to watch something after work he's out within thirty minutes.

I saw the Kings Speech in the theater and fell asleep about 5 times. Now just mentioning the movie I feel like going to 'sleepy town".

21 hours ago, kipper said:

I saw the Kings Speech in the theater and fell asleep about 5 times. Now just mentioning the movie I feel like going to 'sleepy town".

W.....w......www......wwwww..........wakeup!!

14 hours ago, redrum said:

W.....w......www......wwwww..........wakeup!!

That film (The Kings Speech) could be used to sedate people to have major surgery.

"Remains of the Day"

"The English Patient"

"Chariots of Fire"

"Seven Years in Tibet"

All are a snooze fest

Edited by kipper

On 6/28/2020 at 11:49 AM, kipper said:

That film (The Kings Speech) could be used to sedate people to have major surgery.

"Remains of the Day"

"The English Patient"

"Chariots of Fire"

"Seven Years in Tibet"

All are a snooze fest

Actually, '1941' did that to me last night. Just not funny.

5 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

He is an ego- maniacal dude, good filmmaker buy really weird and full of himself. 

I think is may be on the Autism Spectrum a bit. And I'm not saying that to make fun, just gives me that impression is all.

10 hours ago, Brigante said:

The only thing I want to look at with Tarantino actually in it is the scene with Salma dancing in the Titty Twister - and it's not Tarantino I'm looking at... 

What's worse than a tornado?

A

From Dusk Till Dawn Cult Classic Review | Horror Amino

19 hours ago, Strider said:

A trainwreck of a movie. Probably the worst movie Steven Spielberg has been involved with in his career.

1941 was pretty bad. But E.T. and Lincoln were equally bad too...

oops, did I say that out loud?

On 6/26/2020 at 2:50 AM, JTM said:

Me and a friend saw it at the theater. There were about 6 people there total. Must have been the geezer matinee.

Grumpy Golf Geezers – The Relative Observer

1 hour ago, redrum said:

Me and a friend saw it at the theater. There were about 6 people there total. Must have been the geezer matinee.

Grumpy Golf Geezers – The Relative Observer

Geezer matinee, funny. On the subject of matinees and small audiences, there were only about fifteen people at the first showing of TSRTTS on the day it opened in Liverpool, I arrived at the cinema early expecting to join a queue. It being the afternoon many fans would have been at work or college, school even. 

I don't care, I like 1941,  is it caddyshack funny? no, but it has its moments. 

Regarding seeing TSRTS in theaters. I was 14 years old.  I got there early and the parking lot was empty up until 20 minutes before movie time. All of a sudden the lot filled up and there were about a thousand people who wanted tickets for a 300 seat theater.  The building had a foyer with large glass windows flanking either side of the ticket booth. The second the booth opened everybody rushed it. Being there first, I and a bunch of other people were pushed up against the glass of the foyer. I was getting pretty scared because I was flat against the glass.  The whole wall started to warp and the pane of glass I was crushed into shattered. I was pushed right over the metal sill which was wasn't very high and into the foyer with about ten other people. As soon as I hit the floor and started getting up everybody else began flooding into the foyer. People were going nuts stepping on and over those of us on the floor. I was pushed away from the ticket booth so I turned and ran to the nearest exit and got out of there.  The police were there in minutes, the floyer was trashed and they closed the theater down. I had to wait another week to see it. This was in 1980. It was the first time a print of TSRTS was being shown near my house.

51 minutes ago, hummingbird69 said:

Regarding seeing TSRTS in theaters. I was 14 years old.  I got there early and the parking lot was empty up until 20 minutes before movie time. All of a sudden the lot filled up and there were about a thousand people who wanted tickets for a 300 seat theater.  The building had a foyer with large glass windows flanking either side of the ticket booth. The second the booth opened everybody rushed it. Being there first, I and a bunch of other people were pushed up against the glass of the foyer. I was getting pretty scared because I was flat against the glass.  The whole wall started to warp and the pane of glass I was crushed into shattered. I was pushed right over the metal sill which was wasn't very high and into the foyer with about ten other people. As soon as I hit the floor and started getting up everybody else began flooding into the foyer. People were going nuts stepping on and over those of us on the floor. I was pushed away from the ticket booth so I turned and ran to the nearest exit and got out of there.  The police were there in minutes, the floyer was trashed and they closed the theater down. I had to wait another week to see it. This was in 1980. It was the first time a print of TSRTS was being shown near my house.

Blimey, scary or what, in 1980 too, four years after it's release. There being so few people at the showing I went to (second week Nov 76 [11th?]) it worked to my advantage because Liverpool Futurist was the only cinema equipped for surround sound.  I kept changing my seat looking for the best spot to get the full effect of the surround sound. Trouble was the only decent surround effect came in the Dazed bow solo and part of Moby Dick, disappointing to say the least.

2 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

That's because you live in the Twilight Zone, shit gets wacky over on the other side.

Also, 1941 was one of the worst movies ever, walked out of the theatre after 45 minutes. I was embarrassed for the actors involved.

On 6/30/2020 at 12:46 PM, redrum said:

What's worse than a tornado?

A

From Dusk Till Dawn Cult Classic Review | Horror Amino

LOL!  We used to do that to the girls in the 5th grade.  Do that now and you would be on the evening news with your photo next to Harvey Weinstein.

I always like what Chris Rock said, "if my daddy hadn't sexually harassed my momma I wouldn't be here".

He Red, remember this one:

You turn your back to the girl and then looking back over your right shoulder take your left finger and point to your right shoulder with your right hand still down at your side and say, "Did I ever show you where the horse bit me?"--- as you point to your shoulder. And when she leans in close to look at your shoulder your right hand 'drifts' over to her southern naughty bits area......   and well you know the rest.

Can't do that kind of 'birds and bees' stuff anymore.

14 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

Were I lived TSRTS always was a midnight show on a Saturday night. So if people were bored and not doing anything else everyone would just show up to see the movie.

Across town a different kind of crowd would go see 'Rocky Horror Picture Show'. If we were driving past that crowd to see the Zep movie would we throw stuff at the freak sow dressed up in costumes going into see Rocky Horror.

Here in SoCal and for many years, you could usually see TSRTS at two places every weekend  if you wanted.  

The Fairfax Cinema on Beverly Blvd, in the Fairfax district near Hollywood (they advertised: "In Mega Quad Sound)"

large.jpg?1312825062

Or the United Artist Theater on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena California.

xxx3.bmp