"Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" Anyone else looking forward to this film?

kipper

1 hour ago, kipper said:

I'm glad Tarantino only had this one Charlie Manson cameo in the film, and didn't include him with any other parts or dialog. 

Would have been weird and too creepy.  So, unless the script had some plan to off Charile like Quentin did with Hitler in Inglorious Basterds, why glorify that asshole with a part... unless it was of Manson being gang raped by a thousand Viet Cong soldiers with sharpened bamboo sticks?

I know. The ending was still a mind blower. If only, just like Basterds.

None will ever replace the real kings of cool.

The Magnificent Seven - Robert Wagner, Steve McQueen, Yul Brynner, Horst  Buchholz, Charles Bronson and Brad Dexter, 1960. : OldSchoolCool

10 hours ago, redrum said:

I know. The ending was still a mind blower. If only, just like Basterds.

None will ever replace the real kings of cool.

The Magnificent Seven - Robert Wagner, Steve McQueen, Yul Brynner, Horst  Buchholz, Charles Bronson and Brad Dexter, 1960. : OldSchoolCool

Big correction there buddy boy.  There was only one "King of Cool"... all the rest were only his lords and dukes of cool...

You will note: In Once Upon a Time in Hollywood there were no parts for Bronson, Eastwood, Marvin, Brynner, Couburn, Connery, Douglan, Hackman, Duvall, Heston, Holden.... not even Mr Wayne.   But McQueen made the cut.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

3 hours ago, redrum said:

But McQueen made the cut.

True. And he even looked like Steve. But they were all cool as ice.

Great shot. The bus stop was for the 55 Sacramento.

spacer.png

I knew you would add some detail about that photo, you our resident San Francisco expert you :)

spacer.png

Edited by kipper

8 hours ago, kipper said:

I knew you would add some detail about that photo, you our resident San Francisco expert you :)

spacer.png

We also had one of those door opening handles at the top of the stairs in our old flat on Mission St. It was a creepy old place in a 'diverse' neighborhood, 'The Mission.' We were on the 3rd floor.

https://images1.loopnet.com/i2/hk1S8lgZoYVa6zPyqd0xGOyozKOSv7OwRJff4ts13Wc/110/image.jpg

15 hours ago, redrum said:

We also had one of those door opening handles at the top of the stairs in our old flat on Mission St. It was a creepy old place in a 'diverse' neighborhood, 'The Mission.' We were on the 3rd floor.

https://images1.loopnet.com/i2/hk1S8lgZoYVa6zPyqd0xGOyozKOSv7OwRJff4ts13Wc/110/image.jpg

Cool old Victorian building. I'll bet that 3rd floor was blazing hot come mid August?

There's the little 'Mom & Pop' grocery store he went into for his TV dinners. 'The sauce is kinda blue.' I wonder if anyone's tried to chain up and hi-jack that ATM? 😄

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/514a2911e4b0896b36342655/1364949985827-HNHBIX0OSP0QB2YSHXUM/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kCfr3_f0TparBjHff7tVy94UqsxRUqqbr1mOJYKfIPR7LoDQ9mXPOjoJoqy81S2I8N_N4V1vUb5AoIIIbLZhVYxCRW4BPu10St3TBAUQYVKcF-z07qUVQcRabfOMD8j0PUWkWuOrwbxhwS14GnxfKp6eIDFsnvfqh95VJRAVBOaQ/image-asset.jpeg

I could never get used to driving in SF. Some of those street grades are so steep that at the top when you reach stop sign, you can't even see over the hood of the car (older larger cars) to see the cross traffic before pulling out.

SF gives me the creeps now when I see those old neighborhoods.

Pelosi's Pad Versus the Tenderloin | by Jackie Thornhill | Notes From the  Freak Show | Medium

Not sure if SF today is worse than much of Los Angeles.  Seems to be a west coast thing, including Seattle too.

I could never get used to driving in SF. Some of those street grades are so steep that at the top when you reach stop sign, you can't even see over the hood of the car (older larger cars) to see the cross traffic before pulling out.

Yep. Pacific Heights had a lot of hills like that. Don't get stuck driving a clutch. 😄

22nd and Church St. was damned steep.

How to drive on the steep slopes of San Francisco - Quora

Not sure if SF today is worse than much of Los Angeles.  Seems to be a west coast thing, including Seattle too.

I watched a few of 'A German In Venice' videos and he also shows the squalor in L.A.

Rest In Peace Ray Vega.

When "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" opened in 2019, the wait for tables at three restaurants used in the film, Casa Vega, El Coyote, and Musso's, exploded as droves of tourists descended on the restaurants. I managed to get into El Coyote and Musso's eventually a few times before the coronavirus shut everything down. But I never got to see Ray and Casa Vega one last time before the shit hit the fan.

And now, with Ray's passing, I never will get to greet him one more time and who knows if the restaurant will survive. El Coyote was great for drinks with friends and the atmosphere and history as Sharon Tate's and friends last meal before their murder by the Manson gang. But its food was mediocre, average at best. Casa Vega had the superior food.

https://la.eater.com/2021/1/12/22227503/casa-vega-ray-vega-death-obituary-founder-mexican-food-sherman-oaks-news-los-angeles

casavega.jpg.f085a8b1ee0dcc8dee6cac58c1fd3a1c.jpg

Edited by Strider

On 1/16/2021 at 2:38 PM, Strider said:

Rest In Peace Ray Vega.

When "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" opened in 2019, the wait for tables at three restaurants used in the film, Casa Vega, El Coyote, and Musso's, exploded as droves of tourists descended on the restaurants. I managed to get into El Coyote and Musso's eventually a few times before the coronavirus shut everything down. But I never got to see Ray and Casa Vega one last time before the shit hit the fan.

And now, with Ray's passing, I never will get to greet him one more time and who knows if the restaurant will survive. El Coyote was great for drinks with friends and the atmosphere and history as Sharon Tate's and friends last meal before their murder by the Manson gang. But its food was mediocre, average at best. Casa Vega had the superior food.

https://la.eater.com/2021/1/12/22227503/casa-vega-ray-vega-death-obituary-founder-mexican-food-sherman-oaks-news-los-angeles

casavega.jpg.f085a8b1ee0dcc8dee6cac58c1fd3a1c.jpg

Sorry, to hear he passed. Hope they stay in business. And while I disagree that the food at Casa Vega was a lot better than El Coyote, (both I think are medicore Mexican food) I liked the ambience more. I've always like red leather boot places.  But El Coyote to me has been like Pink's Hot dogs, and just to many tourists there.  

Ever go to Don Cucuo's in Burbank Strider?  A similar throw back Mexican food place (albeit Americanized Mexican food) same as Casa Vega. Won't see as many Hollywood stars there, more of the hang out for a lot of studio people from Warners, NBC, and Disney.  Also El Carmen on 3rd, Ernie's in North Hollywood, and of course El Cholo on Western--- similar in age to Casa Vega and El Coyote.

Here is an article on Casa Vega.

https://www.iamnotastalker.com/2020/04/15/casa-vega-from-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood/

On 1/16/2021 at 12:23 AM, redrum said:

Yep. Pacific Heights had a lot of hills like that. Don't get stuck driving a clutch. 😄

22nd and Church St. was damned steep.

How to drive on the steep slopes of San Francisco - Quora

You learn quickly the importance of the hand brake when driving a stick on hills that steep. Hand brake, throttle, release clutch ---all 3 happen at once in the right measure or you are rolling backwards like a brick dropped into a lake.

On 1/16/2021 at 12:24 AM, redrum said:

I watched a few of 'A German In Venice' videos and he also shows the squalor in L.A.

I've seen his youtube videos too. Funny guy covering a sad subject. Sad because it doesn't have to be that way. We don't have a "homeless" problem, we have a massive drug and mental health problem coupled with stupid public policy and few court decisions along with ACLU meddling that make the result we have.  Warm SoCal weather adds to it too. Not too many living on the streets in North Dakota.

Not trying to be political here, but drug addicts will not accept shelter if there are too many rules and requirements attached, so they stay on the streets where they can get high, and sellers bring the drugs to them.

These people need help, but they need the right help.

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2021 at 1:53 AM, redrum said:

Sunset Blvd.

What a great name for a street. 

The blvd has an interesting history. Ironically, it was a much shorter street when it was first named over 100 years ago, and was not yet even connected to Pacific Coast Highway at it's western terminus... or where you might see the "sunset" best from.  Originally it was a street closer to downtown Los Angeles, and it kept being added to---and then eventually it connected to the coast.   Some decades back the eastern part of it was near downtown was renamed to Cesar Chavez blvd... a real shame.  Live long enough and I'm sure some politicians may vote to rename it after some other asshole who may come into vogue.

Best part of Sunset isn't in Hollywood or West Hollywood (the strip).  Best part is in Pacific Palisades, where the "high rent" people live.

spacer.png

On 3/7/2021 at 1:53 AM, redrum said:

Sunset Blvd.

What a great name for a street. 

A great street  just East of Los Angeles in Glendale (Montrose area) near the San Gabriel mountains is blvd called Oceanview, because on a clear day can see all the way to the coast, with the sun glimmering on the Pacific.

Another great spot is in Encino up near Mullholland where Mullholland is just a dirt road in the Santa Monica mountains. There is an old cold war Nike missile tracking station preserved as a park, and you can go up on the former radar tower (radar is removed) and you can see all the way down to the Santa Monica coast.

One of my favorite places to watch the sunset in the area.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...