Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Strider

APOLLO 11 LUNAR MISSION 50th Anniversary

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Don't know about that, after all Buzz Aldrin is on record about this stuff.

No he is NOT. What is on the record are a lot of deceptively doctored and altered audio and video and bullshit Reddit threads. All of which have easily been proven to be false time and time again.

It is amazing to me how people will go to extreme lengths and twist themselves into pretzels to dismiss the facts and then accept the slightest whisper of wacky conspiracies as gospel. We are devolving as a human race as critical-thinking capability shrinks generation after generation.

Buzz Aldrin needs to punch a lot more people in the face.

https://www.livescience.com/62253-buzz-aldrin-aliens-a-lie.html

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/a7166/why-apollo-really-stopped-at-17/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some records that were released during July 1969

Honky Tonk Women / You Can‘t Always Get What You Want- the Stones

Yes - first album

Green River - Creedence

Space Oddity - single- Bowie

Soft Parade - The Doors

Give Peace a Chance - Lennon single

Here are the top singles in the US Billboard chart the week of the moon landing.  Very diverse:

In the Year 2525

Crystal Blue Persuasion

Spinning Wheel - Blood Sweat and Tears

My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder

What Does it Take to Win Your Love - Jr. Walker and the Allstars

Good Morning Starshine - Oliver

One - Three Dog Night

The Ballad of John and Yoko - I had forgotten it got this high in the US singles chart.  Amazing.  Such a great but off beat song.

Baby I Love You - Andy Kim

Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet - Henry Mancini

Mother Popcorn - James Brown

Here are the Billboard US Top Albums that week:

Blood Sweat and Tears

Hair

Romeo and Juliet

This is Tom Jones

Age of Aquarius - the Fifth Dimension

A Warm Shade of Ivory - Henry Mancini

Tommy

Crosby Stills and Nash

In a Gadda da Vida

Nashville Skyline - Dylan

 

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LaughingSnowman said:

I'm surprised it even launched considering how big the balls of the three participants inside had.

I've always had empathy for Michael Collins, the command module Pilot for Apollo 11, who stayed in orbit around the Moon while Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin left in the Apollo Lunar Module to make the first crewed landing on its surface. To come so far and know he was not going to get to walk on it...it must have been like making the Super Bowl then watching from the sidelines x1000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 1:40 AM, Strider said:

Real time livestream of the entire Apollo 11 Mission. Meaning that whenever you click on the link you are seeing exactly what was happening 50 years ago at that moment. You can rewind back to catch what you have missed.

 

Here's the website link. There are many listening option feeds in the real time tapes being played:
https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

I've always had empathy for Michael Collins, the command module Pilot for Apollo 11, who stayed in orbit around the Moon while Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin left in the Apollo Lunar Module to make the first crewed landing on its surface. To come so far and know he was not going to get to walk on it...it must have been like making the Super Bowl then watching from the sidelines x1000.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Badgeholder Still said:

 

Collins had a better chance of making it back to earth. If things went sideways for the other two trying to land and trying to return to the command module, then Collins would be the only one to be coming back... Space is, and will always be, a Dangerous place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember, Michael Collins was essentially the pilot...he was the one flying them to the moon and back to earth. He got to fly the baddest muthafucking machine ever built...the Saturn V rocket. Also, he would be totally ALONE while on the dark side of the moon with no contact with Houston. It takes a special kind of personality/psychological type to handle that without cracking up. Without Michael Collins, the other two don't get home.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of great insight into the mission in this video. Armstrong is an ultimate hero!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

A lot of great insight into the mission in this video. Armstrong is an ultimate hero!

Don't forget Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins and all the scientists and engineers at NASA that put in the long hours and hard work, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The actual landing on the moon happened on this day 50 years ago. The Eagle landed in the Sea of Tranquility at 4:18pm. EST/ 1:18pm. PST on July 20, 1969. It is livestreaming now...

 

Edited by Strider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Strider said:

The actual landing on the moon happened on this day 50 years ago. The Eagle landed in the Sea of Tranquility at 4:18pm. EST/ 1:18pm. PST on July 20, 1969. It is livestreaming now...

 

Oh my goodness! Thanks, Strider! I can't think of a better way to watch all what happened that day, with Walter Cronkite leading the news broadcast! WOW! :D 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just a few years old and vaguely remember watching it. But I've always had quite an interest in our space program.

I saw the Apollo 11 documentary in IMAX a few days ago and worth seeing. I think it was just in theaters now for the anniversary as already as a video release. I also saw the Muse To The Moon photo exhibition at the Met in NYC yesterday and well worth seeing. It follows man's infatuation of landing and exploring the moon from beginnings a few 100 years ago through the Apollo program.

I got to see the launch of Apollo 16 in April 1972. Not from the KSC but several miles away on Cocoa Beach. Very cool and remember it well with a good view of the Saturn V rocket throttling up into space. We were close enough to hear it as well which was equally amazing with all the thrust power.

One of the greatest moments for man in history for certain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The brains on those engineers. The balls on that crew.

Longhair MIT programmer Don Eyles saves the Apollo 14 Mission

donanddoc.jpg

 

 

Edited by The Rover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Deltron3030 said:

This is the fakest laughable bullshit ive ever read or seen in my life. Im laughing hysterically at this. Each and everyone of you is a fucking complete imbecil . wow you people are dumb . 

Oh, look a one post newbie who can't spell imbecile correctly...the last laugh is ours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SuperDave said:

I was just a few years old and vaguely remember watching it. But I've always had quite an interest in our space program.

I saw the Apollo 11 documentary in IMAX a few days ago and worth seeing. I think it was just in theaters now for the anniversary as already as a video release. I also saw the Muse To The Moon photo exhibition at the Met in NYC yesterday and well worth seeing. It follows man's infatuation of landing and exploring the moon from beginnings a few 100 years ago through the Apollo program.

I got to see the launch of Apollo 16 in April 1972. Not from the KSC but several miles away on Cocoa Beach. Very cool and remember it well with a good view of the Saturn V rocket throttling up into space. We were close enough to hear it as well which was equally amazing with all the thrust power.

One of the greatest moments for man in history for certain!

I took my nephew to see the Apollo 11 IMAX movie earlier this year when it was first released. I'll take him again this week when he gets out of summer camp.

You lucky dog. I would have loved to experience the sight and sound of that Saturn V rocket launch in person. What a beautiful machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Oh, look a one post newbie who can't spell imbecile correctly...the last laugh is ours.

Looks like he's been banned as his original post has disappeared. He's probably off smoking crack with Kyrie Irving. These idiots infest the comment sections on every NASA video on YouTube. Insanity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Strider said:

I took my nephew to see the Apollo 11 IMAX movie earlier this year when it was first released. I'll take him again this week when he gets out of summer camp.

You lucky dog. I would have loved to experience the sight and sound of that Saturn V rocket launch in person. What a beautiful machine.

The movie is great and will see it again. Either I'll get the dvd or see if available on Netflix or Prime.

I wasn't in Cape Canaveral for the launch but about five miles away on Cocoa Beach. So amazing and glad I got to experience this. Something I'll never forget. I probably got to see this for a couple of minutes before it disappeared high into the atmosphere. The thrust on the Saturn V was amazing and quite intense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My memory was one wonder and awe, seeing man on the lunar surface. I was very young at the time but that memory stuck with me.

Strider, I always wanted that Revell kit,  around 70-72 my mother must have been wondering where all the washing up liquid bottles, shower heads and tin foil disappeared to....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...