Mobile 73 verse HTWWW

Mr_K

Hello.

I'm listening to Mobile 73 as I write. After 10 years, I'm still blown away by how crisp and well-balanced the sound is. It's as though I'm in the 5th row now watching the band to a perfect EQ through the PA system. And the Plantations - wonderful! The way a live concert should be released.

72 HTWWW. Start to finish a run through maybe twice since it's release. It's almost like high-tech engineers hired a great cover band for a digital studio day and audience noise was added. Good music but not the real Zeppelin at their peak.

Any thoughts? Hoping to get the end of Mobile some day from the same source, with the encores, and without the over producing that makes HTWWW a "who is this?" experience.

Enjoy the forum!

Mobile '73 is an outstanding show, no question.

Have you compared HTWWW with great audience bootlegs of the show like Burn Like a Candle?  It would probably put an interesting perspective on it, I think you're overstating the extent to which the official release was juiced up in the studio.

I thought the exact same thing when I first listened to HTWWW and actually didn't listen again for many years. It was just too over processed and lacking any sonic character. Not sure if you've checked out the 2018 remaster, but it's a vast improvement. Especially with the drums.

17 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I thought the exact same thing when I first listened to HTWWW and actually didn't listen again for many years. It was just too over processed and lacking any sonic character. Not sure if you've checked out the 2018 remaster, but it's a vast improvement. Especially with the drums.

Thanks Zep Heads JohnOsbourne and Gibsonfan159!

Still listening to Mobile 73 as I write.

I have not listened to the remaster HTWWW. Don't want to. I would like to hear Burn Like A Candle again if it was cleaned up. I don't have bootleg ears.

I think JP should leave producing to younger ears. Someone like Giles Martin is better able to give us a fuller, more authentic sound of a concert.

Especially after listening to a Mike Millard recording, it would be easy to replicate the magic of the band. Still can't believe that a guy in a wheel chair could hide equipment and make as good recordings as, well, Betty Cantor-Jackson for the Grateful Dead and Tom Dowd for the Allman Brothers Band. Wonder if any of the stage crew ever caught on to Millard's trick, watching him get out of the chair to adjust the tape?

This DAC is excellent from 73.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Mr_K said:

Thanks Zep Heads JohnOsbourne and Gibsonfan159!

Still listening to Mobile 73 as I write.

I have not listened to the remaster HTWWW. Don't want to. I would like to hear Burn Like A Candle again if it was cleaned up. I don't have bootleg ears.

I think JP should leave producing to younger ears. Someone like Giles Martin is better able to give us a fuller, more authentic sound of a concert.

Especially after listening to a Mike Millard recording, it would be easy to replicate the magic of the band. Still can't believe that a guy in a wheel chair could hide equipment and make as good recordings as, well, Betty Cantor-Jackson for the Grateful Dead and Tom Dowd for the Allman Brothers Band. Wonder if any of the stage crew ever caught on to Millard's trick, watching him get out of the chair to adjust the tape?

This DAC is excellent from 73.

Thanks.

Try and get the Genuine masters bootleg of Burn Like A Candle. I much prefer 72 to 73 Zeppelin

7 hours ago, bluecongo said:

I need to listen to Mobile again.  I’ve always thought they sound sluggish at that show, never understood the love for it.  

But, I’ll give it a fresh listen it’s been years since I have. 

It's got more pep than the NY shows. Page gets a little erratic in places, but when he's on he goes into shred mode. The WLL medley is absolutely smoking until it sadly cuts out. I really wanna do a nitpick of this show sometime.

5 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

It's got more pep than the NY shows. Page gets a little erratic in places, but when he's on he goes into shred mode. The WLL medley is absolutely smoking until it sadly cuts out. I really wanna do a nitpick of this show sometime.

I think you're thinking of a different show;  Mobile cuts out after the beginning of Moby Dick.

13 hours ago, bluecongo said:

I need to listen to Mobile again.  I’ve always thought they sound sluggish at that show, never understood the love for it.  

I’ve given Mobile many listens, and I always come back to the same conclusion: Sound is great, performance is just “good”. No major hiccups, but also nothing that knocks you off your feet.

The May/June leg of the 73 tour has lots of good shows but not a lot of REALLY good shows. Tampa 5/5 audience sources are good, but the band are still working out the set. New Orleans 5/14 is a good time for the band, but performance is uneven in the vocals and the sticky fingers. Houston 5/16 aud source is way too rough to appreciate, and the sbd snippet of the encores is pretty straightforward. Dallas 5/18 is so-so and Fort Worth 5/19 is better but still just “good”.  Salt lake 5/26 and San Diego 5/28 are both just “good”.  5/31-6/2-6/3 get all the attention for good reason.

IMO, the forgotten show from the first leg of the 73 US Tour is definitely Denver, 5/25. The sbd snippet of the encores is great. Great playing, great energy.  I would much rather hear the rest of that show than the rest of any of the other incomplete shows from that leg of the tour.

2 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I think you're thinking of a different show;  Mobile cuts out after the beginning of Moby Dick.

Yeah, I gave it a listen earlier and I'm thinking of WLL from another show (Orlando I believe). Mobile does have good energy and Page gets some good soloing in.

Edited by gibsonfan159