Ultra rare Zeppelin song (JPJ song). PLEASE HELP

Hi All,

Firstly, sorry if my first post comes across as a lazy effort to track down a very rare Zep tune.  I first downloaded this song back in 1998/99 when Napster was king, but was lost many years ago after many house moves and many hard drives crashes.  I've tried Youtube and many other Zep forums over the years, but no luck.

I distinctly remember the song - it was ~3 min in length and extremely unique, beautiful, haunting.  If I could describe it, it was like a wedding waltz, no singing, with Plant wailing in the background, echoing in and out.  Bonham's drums were heavy, prominent and drove the song, drove the waltz feeling....there was also a distinct piano to the melody, obvioulsy JPJ......not sure if Jimmy contributed guitar - possibly.  But without doubt, it had a wedding waltz feel......it was gorgeous.  These guys could really play anything, so much talent, creativity.

I may be wrong, but I read somewhere once upon a time it was a pre-Zep instrumental written by JPJ.  If I had to guess the Zep era it was recorded (and I have no way of substantiating this),  I would say somewhere between 71-75.

Thank you so much in advance to any kind soul who can assist.

GG

On 8/12/2019 at 7:41 PM, Mr. Snrub said:

No such song exists. Closest thing I can think of is the early demo of "No Quarter" which has a bit of a waltz feel to it.

The only pre-Zep recordings with Plant are by P.J. Proby, but Plant didn't do any vocals. He only played tambourine and harmonica.

Bonzo on that track ; 😱 Wow is that killer. 

On 8/9/2019 at 2:43 AM, MusicForTheSoul said:

Hi All,

Firstly, sorry if my first post comes across as a lazy effort to track down a very rare Zep tune.  I first downloaded this song back in 1998/99 when Napster was king, but was lost many years ago after many house moves and many hard drives crashes.  I've tried Youtube and many other Zep forums over the years, but no luck.

I distinctly remember the song - it was ~3 min in length and extremely unique, beautiful, haunting.  If I could describe it, it was like a wedding waltz, no singing, with Plant wailing in the background, echoing in and out.  Bonham's drums were heavy, prominent and drove the song, drove the waltz feeling....there was also a distinct piano to the melody, obvioulsy JPJ......not sure if Jimmy contributed guitar - possibly.  But without doubt, it had a wedding waltz feel......it was gorgeous.  These guys could really play anything, so much talent, creativity.

I may be wrong, but I read somewhere once upon a time it was a pre-Zep instrumental written by JPJ.  If I had to guess the Zep era it was recorded (and I have no way of substantiating this),  I would say somewhere between 71-75.

Thank you so much in advance to any kind soul who can assist.

GG

Napster is your first problem. Napster was notorious for mislabeled and fake songs. So I have doubts as to whether the song you downloaded was even Led Zeppelin at all.

8 hours ago, Strider said:

Napster is your first problem. Napster was notorious for mislabeled and fake songs. So I have doubts as to whether the song you downloaded was even Led Zeppelin at all.

I remember that mislabelling, "Horse With No Name" by Neil Young !!!!. There was a Hendrix "god save the queen", no idea who it was, it defo wasn't Jimi.

I got "Blueberry Hill" from Napster (1996/97 ?) track by track on an ultra slow dial up connection, took about two days, longer maybe.

Edited by JTM

13 minutes ago, JTM said:

I remember that mislabelling, "Horse With No Name" by Neil Young !!!!. There was a Hendrix "god save the queen", no idea who it was, it defo wasn't Jimi.

I got "Blueberry Hill" from Napster (1996/97 ?) track by track on an ultra slow dial up connection, took about two days, longer maybe.

Horse w no name - America 

God save the Queen - Sex Pistols 

blueberry hill - I remember dial up days (lol)  😝 

R😎

On 8/12/2019 at 7:41 PM, Mr. Snrub said:

No such song exists. Closest thing I can think of is the early demo of "No Quarter" which has a bit of a waltz feel to it.

The only pre-Zep recordings with Plant are by P.J. Proby, but Plant didn't do any vocals. He only played tambourine and harmonica.

Thanks for sharing! I love hearing different or "working" versions of songs. Makes you wonder how / why they came up with the version they ultimately went with. If I had the honor of meeting any of my favorite artists, my # 1 question would be around the songwriting / arranging process. Fascinating!

4 hours ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

Thanks for sharing! I love hearing different or "working" versions of songs. Makes you wonder how / why they came up with the version they ultimately went with. If I had the honor of meeting any of my favorite artists, my # 1 question would be around the songwriting / arranging process. Fascinating!

Yes. Agreed. I’d like to hear (especially) JPJ speak on arranging, JP on recording, RP on songwriting (Lyrics). Hopefully, we’ll get that on the upcoming documentary (other forum thread topic). 

A Complete Master Studio Works box set of alternate mixes, takes, demos, warts and all would be great if JP ever decided one day to make that avail with all original master tracks from source tapes where we could take sessions off hard / multiple flash drives into a computer to make our own mixes, etc. 

R😎

19 hours ago, reids said:

Yes. Agreed. I’d like to hear (especially) JPJ speak on arranging, JP on recording, RP on songwriting (Lyrics). Hopefully, we’ll get that on the upcoming documentary (other forum thread topic). 

A Complete Master Studio Works box set of alternate mixes, takes, demos, warts and all would be great if JP ever decided one day to make that avail with all original master tracks from source tapes where we could take sessions off hard / multiple flash drives into a computer to make our own mixes, etc. 

R😎

100%, couldn't agree with you more!

• 1 year later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAlzuT_uSz4

On 8/17/2019 at 12:01 PM, Strider said:

So my search continues.....I think you may be closest to the mark.....I found early recordings of Baby. Come on Home....that is 100% the background waltz....absolutely. But Plant's voice over the top was something added.  Whoever did this fake version did an amazing job....I think I still have the old faulty IDE hard drive somewhere.....I'll try to recover it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAlzuT_uSz4

Edited by MusicForTheSoul
fix

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Y’all remember the song REMEMBER??

It’s a very rare tune by Zeppelin I’m looking for it can someone tell me how to find it?? You won’t find it here on Google I’ve tried but trust me I used to listen to it allot back in 1982 it was kind of old then.. 

Baja is a cover of the 1963 version by The Astronauts. JPJ admitted much later that he didn't play on A Foggy Day In Vietnam at all, and the backing vocals are rumored to be by Darlene Love and The Blossoms. I first encountered these tracks on a bootleg LP in the early 1980's, along with Jimmy Page's She Just Satisfies / Keep Movin' and the Robert Plant singles. The U.S. white label promo of the JPJ 45 is fairly common, but I've never seen a stock copy. The U.K. stock copy is rather scarce. Fun and interesting stuff to listen to!