The Guns N' Roses/Velvet Revolver Thread

Hand_Of_Omega_91

I liked G'n'R first album alot, but after that they didn't do anything really for me, I saw them at Donington 1988 and they were good, a fan died in the middle of their set due to a crowd surge at the front and the speaker tower or something collapsed !!

Velvet revolver on the otherhand I like alot,, From what I have heard it really rocks.

Stone temple pilots was a fave band of mine so having their singer with Slash works well me thinks !!!!

Edited by leddy

Just thought I'd make a thread for all of us GN'R/VR lovers as I haven't seen one on here :D.

I love Guns N' Roses or rather what used to be Guns N' Roses..... they were the last great hard/classic rock band IMO. Appetite for Destruction is one of my favorite albums of all time. The Use Your Illusion albums I haven't listened to as much but they have some good songs off that. I'd like to get my hands on their live album sometime. I think Axl should change the name now cause he's the only original member left

I only have a few Velvet Revolver songs but they really rock from what I've heard. One of my best friends got to see them play a couple years ago and he thought they were great

I love Guns N' Roses or rather what used to be Guns N' Roses..... they were the last great hard/classic rock band IMO.

My thoughts exactly.

Where have all the good bands gone?

But anyway, Appetite for Destruction was my favorite album, they have my all time favorites songs from GNR on that album, apart from November Rain of course.

Great band.

In the January edition of Classic Rock Magazine the best album of 2007 is named as....

CHINESE DEMOCRACY :o

The journos said that the seven leaked tracks floating around at the moment (Better, There Was A Time, Catcher In The Rye, IRS, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, The Blues) are the best theyve heard all year.

I'd hardly call it reforming.

I'm a fan of both, but GNR much more. Every second of Appetite for Destruction is well worth it. Use Your Illusion II has some good material on there too. I've heard a couple of the songs from Chinese Democracy (Better and There Was A Time), I can tell you that it certainly sounds different... but there is something about it I like :) .

Velvet Revolver on the other hand. They're good and all but have never done anything really outstanding. I know I can go and see them live next month, but I'm still not 100% sure. Songs like Slither are something I would want to see live.

I agree there, the Chinese Democracy songs I've heard (Better, The Blues, Catcher In The Rye, There Was a Time, Chinese Democracy, Madagascar, IRS) sound much better than the Velvet Revolver songs in my opinion and are truly spectacular absolutley amazing. BUT with Guns N'Roses you dont know if Chinese Democracy is ever actually going to be released and with the amount of time Axl has had making that album something would be wrong if they werent great, you also have to go to a gig expecting to be there till the early hours because Axl cant be bothered to go onstage. When they do eventually go on stage from the footage and recordings I've heard it is more than worth the wait. They are a really tight band and work really well together.

Velvet Revolver hasnt done anything amazing but at least they are reliable, come on stage on time and release albums on a regular basis, but the 7 leaked tracks of the new GnR stuff is 10000000 times better than the two Velvet Revolver albums. The weak part of VR for me is Scott Weiland, hes a good singer and frontman but hes not even close to how great a frontman and singer Axl is, I saw the Download festival on TV and Slash, Duff etc were AMAZING but Scott's voice doesnt add the icing to the cake. Don't get me wrong VR agre good but no way near how good the original GnR lineup used to be and the potential the new GnR album may be.

Guns N Roses also play bigger venues and people flock to see them, tickets sell out really quickly but then Axl does have the name on his side but by now everybody knows theyre going to see Axl Rose's solo band.

Really, Axl needs his head checked and get all the old members back - trouble is that would delay Chinese Democracy even more...

Still love both bands though - GnR is great because of Axl and VR is great because of Slash.

Edited by Hand_Of_Omega_91

• 2 months later...

When Slash left, half of the band was gone, IMO. I'm not a very big fan, but I often listen to the Greatest Hits album (and sometimes Appetite for Destruction). One of my favorite songs are Don't cry, Sweet Child O' Mine, Knocking on Heaven's Door and Patience.

When Slash left, half of the band was gone, IMO. I'm not a very big fan, but I often listen to the Greatest Hits album (and sometimes Appetite for Destruction). One of my favorite songs are Don't cry, Sweet Child O' Mine, Knocking on Heaven's Door and Patience.

good choices...

Half? Slash is the heart of Guns & Roses.

So now the Stone Temple Pilots are getting back together and touring. What is the deal with the future of Velvet Revolver? Does anyone have the word on that?

The STP reunion will be short lived, just for the sake of a short tour. VR isn't going anywhere, there will be more. :)

Got that info from a Slash interview, so it's most likely reliable.

So now the Stone Temple Pilots are getting back together and touring. What is the deal with the future of Velvet Revolver? Does anyone have the word on that?

The STP reunion will be short lived, just for the sake of a short tour. VR isn't going anywhere, there will be more. :)

Got that info from a Slash interview, so it's most likely reliable.

Ahh, that's good to hear... err, I mean that's good to know... and will be good to hear. B)

Edited by Lake of Shadows

I hate when people say that. If it weren't for Axl Rose, none of us would know Slash's name.

Axl is Guns n Roses.

You think?... im don't think so.

I don't hate Axl Rose, but most people think the same way you think. And don't care about that, but is wrong.

Edited by eagle87

I hate when people say that. If it weren't for Axl Rose, none of us would know Slash's name.

Axl is Guns n Roses.

You're a fool. Axl Rose was part of Guns. Slash would have found something sooner or later, had he not stumbled upon Izzy and Axl.

They were all part of what made Gn'R so great. Shit, even Steven Adler added a large part, just with Drumming alone.

The current incarnation is not Guns N Roses. It's Axl Rose going out on a solo tour, with backing musicians, and calling it GNR. It's one thing to lose one member of a band, and carry on, but for just the lead singer to carry on and keep the band name is ridiculous. It would be like Ozzy going out on his own but calling it Black Sabbath, or Vince Neil going out alone and calling it Motley Crue, or David Lee Roth going out and pretending he's Van Halen. Not the same.