The Guns N' Roses/Velvet Revolver Thread

Hand_Of_Omega_91

Good Morning Steve:

A brief passage of silence is called a dramatic pause..a device used in both dramatic and comic works...in music it is usually called a "rest"

I really don't care about the song starting with the letter "P"...... the other work called Chinese Democracy has more imagination...

Last week Sweet Child of Mine was played on the show MUCH MORE RETRO on the MUCH MORE MUSIC station..

Juliet

Edited by Juliet

• 2 weeks later...

Sebastian Bach `tackles knife-wielding fan` at Guns `N` Roses NYC gig

By Lee Brown Feb 20, 2010, 20:20 GMT

Rocker Sebastian Bach reportedly tackled a knife-wielding fan in the crowd at a secret Guns 'N' Roses show.

The ex-Skid Row frontman reportedly saw someone casually pull out a switchblade knife as he walked into the exclusive Valentine's Day show at New York's Gramercy Park Hotel.

Bach, who was standing near the door, immediately got the stranger thrown out of the gig, which was attended by a host of stars including Mickey Rourke, Josh Lucas and Ryan Phillippe.

An onlooker told the New York Post: 'The man walked in while Guns 'N' Roses were onstage and pulled out a knife and flicked the blade out. Sebastian, who was standing on a banquette said: 'Nobody is getting anywhere near my man Axl Rose with a knife,' and went after him. Security then immediately threw him out.'

A spokesperson for the venue declined to comment.

Edited by SteveAJones

Hey G&R fans:

I saw the music video, NOVEMBER RAIN, on the Canadian music station MUCH MORE MUSIC...

What a set....and cast....

Juliet

PS Soon G&R will be on the road again..this time to South America..I hope there's no nasty fans at any of the gigs...

Edited by Juliet

Axl Rose looks to rehab the Guns N' Roses legacy in Canada

By Gilles Leblanc on January 13th, 2010

Gilles Leblanc, a longtime CoS reader and author of the Astral Media blog "'Rock Around Le Blog", has once again returned to share his unique commentary on one of music's biggest current event…

Back in the early-'90s, there weren't too many other rock bands that could incite more excitement in fans while simultaneously striking fear in the hearts of concert promoters and their security teams worldwide than Guns N' Roses!

From the moment I first heard the intoxicatingly awesome guitar riff on both "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Sweet Child O' Mine", the drum beats on "You Could Be Mine" (that feel as if they're hunting you down), or the over-the-top yet everlastingly memorable video for "November Rain", I was hooked.

Make that hopelessly addicted, actually. I knew full well that these wanton individuals from the debaucherous streets of Los Angeles were "bad" for me during my formative teenage years (something my mother constantly reminded me of), but it all fell on deaf ears. I'm not kidding; I don't think my hearing has ever been the same since GN'R and Metallica nearly tore down Toronto's rickety old Exhibition Stadium in September of 1992!

I literally wore out the ribbon on my cassette copies of Appetite for Destruction and Use Your Illusion (both I and II). Yes kids, I used to listen to Guns N' Roses over and over on my bright yellow Sony Sports Walkman… GN'R are that old!

I also thought at the time that they would be a group to be reckoned with for years to come… as long as they kept their $#!& together… which they didn't, to no one's surprise. Drugs, booze, infighting, erratic behavior (not to mention more than a few riots at concerts), and the rise of Nirvana and alternative rock in general all combined to bring the Gunners down, except in one person's eyes.

I can't even begin to imagine what lead singer Axl Rose's life has been like over the last 15 years or so. He's seen every "classic lineup" member who had played a note with the band from 1985 to 1994 leave under less-than-friendly circumstances, most notably the incomparable, top hat-wearing Slash, yet that hasn't seemed to faze him. I honestly think that in his mind, "Guns N' Roses", whatever the incarnation, are still at the top of the rock pile, even though it's painfully obvious that hasn't been the case in a long time. New members have been rotated in and out ever since, with Axl at the helm, all leading up to the recording and release of his own "Mr. Rose's Opus", Chinese Democracy, the follow-up album to end all follow-up albums, which finally saw the light of day in November of 2008, long after I had stopped caring about GN'R.

I didn't pay much attention as the record failed to impress, both sales-wise and critically. It underwhelmed, to say the least. And for all the work he put in to it, Axl himself didn't seem all that interested either, as he promptly went into hiding for close to a year instead of oh, I dunno, helping recoup even a fraction of Geffen Records' reported $13 million investment in him and his band of "hired guns."

That is until now. Team GN'R broke their silence this past October with the surprising announcement that they would be going on tour in 2010 in support of Chinese Democracy, beginning January 13th in Winnipeg, Manitoba, of all places, followed by an additional 12 dates across Canada, making stops in pretty much every major city in the country you can think of apart from Vancouver. I guess there are still some hard feelings in "Vansterdam" due to Axl not appearing for a concert in 2002, causing yet another infamous GN'R riot. And don't get me wrong about The 'Peg; the city has a great rock history, but there aren't many more colder places in the Western Hemisphere they could have chosen from to kick off their first North American shows in over three years. Fans may start to riot just to keep warm!

While it's been ages since they've even been a blip on my rock radar, Canada has always been there to welcome Axl with open arms as he's tried to keep the GN'R brand name top of mind with people. Take my younger brother Mike for example. He took our other brother Robbie to go see Axl & Company the last time they passed through town on November 15, 2006 as a 26th birthday present. But Axl, as only Axl can seem to get away with, decided to wait until almost midnight before hitting the Air Canada Centre stage! Fed up and having to work the next day, Robbie stormed out, leaving Mike to have his frigging socks rocked off until well past two in the morning!

When properly motivated, Axl can still enthrall a crowd. Am I potentially missing out on something earth-shattering when he returns to T.O. on January 28th? I had been clean and sober from GN'R for so many years, I had almost forgot how dangerously thrilling their music can be. I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but one night just before Christmas, I fell off the proverbial wagon by looking up some info on the four shows recently played in Asia as part of the latest Chinese Democracy tour leg (an appropriate place for them to start given the album's "oxymoronic" title).

Axl may be crazy, he may even be bipolar as has been rumored, but he's not stupid, that's for sure. He's smart enough to realize that if he's going to get people en masse behind the "new" GN'R, he needs to pull out all the stops in terms of a live show, to give people an experience they won't soon forget. And I'll be darned, if YouTube is any indication, Axl may be on his way to doing it! After coming out more than an hour late at their last gig, Axl and his Guns proceeded to rock the Tokyo Dome for three and a half freaking hours, featuring extended band jams, instrumental solos from all seven touring members (including Axl on piano), and a setlist filled with every "hit" a GN'R fan could hope for, topped off with every headbanger's favorite closer, "Paradise City"!

Axl's once skin-tight leather pants have been let out a bit, and he's breathing heavier between lyrics, but the intensity is there, the conviction that GN'R can still be an important band in today's rock landscape. Speaking of "the band," they don't sound half bad either. They're not Slash, Izzy Stradlin, and Duff McKagan, but "Chinese Democracy" does have a devil horns-worthy riff to it (Axl's howling is also in good form), songs like "Shackler's Revenge" and "Better" move in an industrial strength, Nine Inch Nails-like direction while paying homage to the never die GN'R spirit, and the piano-heavy "Street of Dreams" (formerly called "The Blues" when last played live in Canada) is just plain awesome!

Not awesome in a "15 years in the making"-kind of way, mind you, but it would definitely be one of the tunes I'd be looking forward to hearing on January 28th at the ACC! I wonder what my brother Robbie is doing that night?

Guns N' Roses 2009/2010 Tour Dates:

01/13 - Winnipeg, MB @ MTS Centre

01/16 - Calgary, AB @ Pengrowth Saddledome

01/17 - Edmonton, AB @ Rexall Place

01/19 - Saskatoon, SK @ Credit Union Centre

01/20 - Regina, SK @ Brandt Centre

01/24 - Hamilton, ON @ Copps Coliseum

01/25 - London, ON @ John Labatt Centre

01/27 - Montreal, QB @ Bell Centre

01/28 - Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre

01/31 - Ottawa, ON @ Scotiabank Palace

02/01 - Quebec City, QB @ Colisee Pepsi

02/03 - Moncton, NB @ Moncton Coliseum

02/04 - Halifax, NS @ Metro Centre

03/07 - Brasilia, Brazil @ Nilson Nelson Gym

03/10 - Belo Horizonte, Brazil @ Mineirinho Arena

03/13 - São Paulo, Brazil @ Morumbi Stadium

03/14 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil @ Apoteose Park

03/16 - Porto Alegre, Brazil @ Zequinha Stadium

03/18 - Montevidéu, Uruguai - Centenario Stadium

03/20 - Buenos Aires, Argentina @ River Plate Stadium

03/21 - Buenos Aires, Argentina @ River Plate Stadium

03/25 - Lima, Peru @ San Marcos Stadium

03/28 - Caracas, Venezuela @ Poliedro Space

http://consequenceof...gacy-in-canada/

Steve:

Considering the earthquake in Chile, I wonder if the tour will be postponed..if the band members and crew have young families I wonder if Axl will reschedule the tour so family members won't have to worry..

I have checked Axl's twitter and Facebook pages but no comment thus far..

Juliet :wave:

PS Thanks for story about the masssge therapist...I see alot of ads in the paper for jobs in that field now..lower back pain is a major problem and not just for aging rock stars.... :)

Steve:

Considering the earthquake in Chile, I wonder if the tour will be postponed..if the band members and crew have young families I wonder if Axl will reschedule the tour so family members won't have to worry..

The potential for a postponement of the March 22nd Chile date, among others is a possibility. It's simply too soon to know the full extent of the damage and aftershocks could of course complicate matters.

As a resident of Malibu, Axl is no stranger to the hazards of living on earth:

Edited by SteveAJones

Guns N' Roses to arrive with largest technical staff ever in Lima

Lima, Feb. 24 (ANDINA) - U.S. hard rock band Guns N' Roses will arrive in Lima with the largest technical staff ever in the Andean country to offer a concert on March 25. The staff includes sound, lights, video and fireworks technicians, who usually accompany musicians during their presentations in the most important capitals of the world.

As far as security measures, the legendary band led by Axl Rose requested organizers have a large number of officers for 24 hours.

Frontman Axl Rose also asked for wines, beers, vodka, red and white roses, and a "square melon". As well as in other countries where they will play at, he has requested this exotic fruit that he cannot miss by any means.

GNR is visiting Peru as part of their Chinese Democracy South American Tour and will perform on March 25 at the Monumental Stadium Esplanade. Tickets can be purchased at Tu Entrada of Plaza Vea and Vivanda supermarkets.

SquareMelon.jpg

Square melons originated in Japan and Tesco supermarkets are making them available worldwide.

Square watermelons are grown in Brazil by using wooden boxes around the growing fruit which slowly form to the shape of the box.

Edited by SteveAJones

Steve:

Oh...those square melons are funny... :lol:

I assume the red and white roses are in honour of his time on tour in Canada...

Juliet

PS sounds like the tour is a go.... :cheer:

PSS Re his house in Malibu...looks lonely...on a hill....must have been scary during that fire...glad Axl and his home are ok....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CONFIRMED DATES SO FAR:

08.27 - Reading, England

08.29 - Leeds, England

08.31 - Belfast, Ireland @ The Odyssey Arena

09.01 - Dublin, Ireland @ The O2

09.04 - Rome, Italy @ Palalottomatica

09.05 - Milan, Italy @ Mediolanum Forum

09.10 - Amneville, France @ Le Galaxie Arena

09.13 - Paris, France @ Bercy Arena

09.18 - Vienna, Austria @ Wiener Stadthalle

09.23 - Belgrade, Serbia @ Belgrade Arena

09.24 - Zagreb, Crotia @ Arena Hall

09.30 - Antwerp,Belgium @ Sportpaleis

10.02 - Zenith, France @ Grand Paladis

03.10 - Arnhem, Netherlands @ GelreDome XS

10.09 - Madrid, Spain @ Palacio de Vistalegre

10.10 - San Sebastian, Spain @ Velódromo de Anoeta

10.13 - Zaragoza, Spain @ Pabellón Príncipe Felipe

10.14 - Barcelona, Spain @ Palau Olímpic de Badalona

Edited by SteveAJones

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd add this news. A UK Tour has been announced for October.

O2 Arena in London: October 13,

Birmingham LG Arena: October 17

Manchester MEN Arena: October 18.

Presale is tomorrow (planetrock.com)

General on sale through Ticketmaster Friday.

A bit annoyed at the lack of the Cardiff date and the fact that London is mid week so it looks as if I'll be going to the Birmingham one and staying in a hostel overnight and an early train back to get back to university on Monday.

• 5 weeks later...

Guns n Roses O2 Dublin Sept 1st 2010 - Welcome to The Jungle - Axl Gets Bottled Off Stage

It's been a few days and I still don't understand the mentality of the Dublin audience. Yes, the show started about 45 minutes late but with Axl that's to be expected. Welcoming them with a chorus of boos doesn't change anything, and throwing bottles at them is simply unacceptable. Although Axl was eventually persuaded to return to the stage, he was pissed off for the rest of the night and it showed. He made no effort to connect with or engage the audience and deliberately performed devoid of showmanship. What could have been a great show became a contractually obligated job to do and the bottle throwers are to blame.

Edited by SteveAJones

Statement issued by Promoters MCD & the management of The O2 regarding the Guns N' Roses concert at The 02, Dublin, Wednesday 1st September 2010.

Despite every effort being made by promoters to ensure Guns N' Roses would go on stage on time, they went on at 22.26hrs having been due to be on stage at 21.45hrs, support artist finished at 21:00hrs.

During the second song Axl requested members of crowd who were throwing plastic glass's containing unknown substances to immediately stop or he would have no option but to leave the stage. He confirmed band's wish to perform stating "we want to stay..one more bottle and we go home". Despite his continued appeals, having tried to continue performing for 22 minutes,

people continued throwing unknown substances leaving artist with no choice but to leave the stage.

From the stage MCD Promoter Denis Desmond again appealed to audience to refrain from throwing items and stated that the band would be back on stage shortly.

The artist was prevented from leaving the venue by the Promoter and following backstage discussions Guns N' Roses went back on stage at 23.20 hrs and performed their full set until 00.53 hrs.

While the artist has a long history for being late on stage (Slane 1992 - crowd waiting 2 hours and last weekend's UK Reading festival), NO artist should be subjected to missiles and unknown substances being thrown at them. However, despite this the band went back on stage after people stopped throwing items performing their full set of songs in full.

MCD and The 02 wish to apologise for any inconvenience caused due to late running of the show.

The artist was prevented from leaving the venue by the Promoter and following backstage discussions Guns N' Roses went back on stage at 23.20 hrs and performed their full set until 00.53 hrs.

Good on the promoter, and the cup-throwers.

Much as I used to love Gnus n Orses, Axl has been pulling this shit for way too long. Who TF does he think he is? He's not the Soupe du Jour anymore. After the Chijnese Democracy debacle (the literally insane delay, and the massively disappointing outcome), he should be grateful he can still pull a crowd. What about the punters' travel arrangements?

Never mind three guitarists - he needs three shrinks.

Lose Your Illusion: Axl Rose And The End Of Guns N' Roses?

James Gill // September 3, 2010

In the aftermath of Reading, Leeds, and Dublin shows, Mick Wall weighs in on Axl Rose and the future of Guns N' Roses:

Axl Rose goes on stage so late it causes the show to be curtailed. Axl Rose blames everybody except himself. Axl Rose fans go home angry and bitterly disappointed.

Um, is it just me or do those last three sentences induce a feeling of déjà vu? I mean, we really have all been here before, right? So many times, in fact, you begin to wonder if Axl isn't just enjoying some sort of cosmic joke no one else is weird enough to get.

Even the most ardent Axl fans (a rapidly swindling band of naysayers) must surely admit after these latest episodes in Reading and Leeds that the whole sorry saga went way beyond the realms of 'boring' centuries ago, passed through the nebula of 'unacceptable' even before Slash and co walked out, and now resides inside a file marked 'mental'.

And yet I can't be the only one either that finds the continuing war Axl seems to be waging against himself – and make no mistake, he's the one that suffers ultimately, as he sits up all night furiously surfing the internet for mentions of his name, as insiders tell me he does – utterly compelling.

Me and Axl are about the same age. We grew up in a world where rock wasn't just some pre-packaged item on a virtual shelf you could instantly download and try on for size. We came of age in a time and place called the 1970s when rock really was considered the last refuge of the outlaw. You didn't join a band to make a million bucks. You did so to shake things up. Freak out the straights. Fight the man. Fuck all the rules until they bent so far backwards they broke in two.

It could be argued that when Axl refuses to come onstage until he's good and ready, tells anyone who tries to impose their will on him to fuck off – including his own band, record company, managers, whoever – that it's a simple manifestation of the philosophy he and I and a whole generation of others like us grew up believing in. That rock was something you needed to have the right juju to conjure up. Some found it through drugs, sex, black magic, or combos thereof. Whatever gets you through the night, as we used to say back in the very long day and even longer night.

The trouble is, that was then and this is now. And it's one thing to want to sex-up your act, recharge the vibe, so that you can bring it to the people when you finally hit the stage. But when the magic backfires and all you do is piss off the ones that love you most – the fans – then something is very badly wrong.

There's a reason Axl didn't make it to the stage on time in Reading and Leeds and it's got nothing to do with the spirit of rock'n'roll rebellion – or taking a nap or any pre-show deal he now says he made, as reports have suggested. It's the same reason, in fact, that Chinese Democracy took 12 years to make and reportedly over $13 million. I think you know what I'm talking about.

Let's hope Axl feels better one day soon. Or better still, calls Slash.…

http://www.metalhamm...f-guns-n-roses/

Edited by SteveAJones

Lose Your Illusion: Axl Rose And The End Of Guns N' Roses?

James Gill // September 3, 2010

In the aftermath of Reading, Leeds, and Dublin shows, Mick Wall weighs in on Axl Rose and the future of Guns N' Roses:

Axl Rose goes on stage so late it causes the show to be curtailed. Axl Rose blames everybody except himself. Axl Rose fans go home angry and bitterly disappointed.

Um, is it just me or do those last three sentences induce a feeling of déjà vu? I mean, we really have all been here before, right? So many times, in fact, you begin to wonder if Axl isn't just enjoying some sort of cosmic joke no one else is weird enough to get.

Even the most ardent Axl fans (a rapidly swindling band of naysayers) must surely admit after these latest episodes in Reading and Leeds that the whole sorry saga went way beyond the realms of 'boring' centuries ago, passed through the nebula of 'unacceptable' even before Slash and co walked out, and now resides inside a file marked 'mental'.

And yet I can't be the only one either that finds the continuing war Axl seems to be waging against himself – and make no mistake, he's the one that suffers ultimately, as he sits up all night furiously surfing the internet for mentions of his name, as insiders tell me he does – utterly compelling.

Me and Axl are about the same age. We grew up in a world where rock wasn't just some pre-packaged item on a virtual shelf you could instantly download and try on for size. We came of age in a time and place called the 1970s when rock really was considered the last refuge of the outlaw. You didn't join a band to make a million bucks. You did so to shake things up. Freak out the straights. Fight the man. Fuck all the rules until they bent so far backwards they broke in two.

It could be argued that when Axl refuses to come onstage until he's good and ready, tells anyone who tries to impose their will on him to fuck off – including his own band, record company, managers, whoever – that it's a simple manifestation of the philosophy he and I and a whole generation of others like us grew up believing in. That rock was something you needed to have the right juju to conjure up. Some found it through drugs, sex, black magic, or combos thereof. Whatever gets you through the night, as we used to say back in the very long day and even longer night.

The trouble is, that was then and this is now. And it's one thing to want to sex-up your act, recharge the vibe, so that you can bring it to the people when you finally hit the stage. But when the magic backfires and all you do is piss off the ones that love you most – the fans – then something is very badly wrong.

There's a reason Axl didn't make it to the stage on time in Reading and Leeds and it's got nothing to do with the spirit of rock'n'roll rebellion – or taking a nap or any pre-show deal he now says he made, as reports have suggested. It's the same reason, in fact, that Chinese Democracy took 12 years to make and reportedly over $13 million. I think you know what I'm talking about.

Let's hope Axl feels better one day soon. Or better still, calls Slash.…

http://www.metalhamm...f-guns-n-roses/

Now there's a reunion I would love to see. But if they wanted to record a new album with any decent songs, they'd need to call Izzy too.

Well i read they were 90 minutes late. It's sort of a star attitude to do that, but if you get a response like that, you should bloody appologise, instead of getting pissed off, demand no bottle throwing and leave the stage!

I mean the crowds should be used to big bands being late, but if a band does get an aggresive response, they should forget their star egos and just appologise, so that they can play a nice show!!

I wonder if they will ever play in Dublin again? I also read a lot of people left the place, while the band was backstage. If Axl would actually say sorry, maybe they could play to a full place!

I don't understand what could be so important to be that late for your own show, especially when there are thousands of people waiting for you. And it's not like someone told him "Ok, in 10 minutes you gotta be on stage, sorry for the short notice". They are not some unknown band that no one cares for, I mean, have some responsibility. Does he not understand how annoying and out of line this is?!

Well i read they were 90 minutes late. It's sort of a star attitude to do that, but if you get a response like that, you should bloody appologise, instead of getting pissed off, demand no bottle throwing and leave the stage!

I mean the crowds should be used to big bands being late, but if a band does get an aggresive response, they should forget their star egos and just appologise, so that they can play a nice show!!

I wonder if they will ever play in Dublin again? I also read a lot of people left the place, while the band was backstage. If Axl would actually say sorry, maybe they could play to a full place!

It's a real mess right now because the local politicians are calling on the organizers to issue refunds. Apparently announcements may have been made over the venue PA that indicated the show was over or gave the impression that it was over. Regardless, I've got to side with Axl on how he handled this as no one deserves to be pelted by projectiles. He endured three or four bottling incidents in South America, among other places, earlier this year and there's just no excuse for it. Axl does not take the stage at the appointed time - he simply doesn't - and anyone attending a Guns n Roses concert over the past ten years ought to know that by now. There are worse things in life than waiting an hour or so for Axl to get onstage, but IMHO few things are better than what he delivers once he does.

Edited by SteveAJones