The Guns N' Roses/Velvet Revolver Thread

Hand_Of_Omega_91

ce-oztqwiaaknxg.jpg.94df27f5ea4ee8976aa5

April Fools indeed.

For reasons I have already made clear, I am bypassing this circus. Went by earlier today and it was already a zoo.

I love the "Sometime after 11pm" part. Haha...it will probably be closer to dawn before Axl shows up.

Edited by Strider

I noticed a "Gn f'n R" billboard was just put up yesterday in downtown.  Today, I see they're playing the Citrus Bowl in July.  Pre sale tickets begin tomorrow.  It'll be interesting to see what they are listed for.  The Cult is opening for them on some dates, I've heard.  Looking forward to hearing some clips from tonight's show....  If they are allowed to be posted on YouTube.

Gum's and Noses never really were appealing to me, although they had some nice songs (a band that changes members after just one album and then comes with two double albums with 65% of album filler material is just not my piece of cake).

Fine if they do a reunion with their umpteenth line up, but not really a great progression in rock music.

Lol, I once played this record from 1979 to some friends claiming it was the newest GNR album.

Edited by reswati

56 minutes ago, reswati said:

Gum's and Noses never really were appealing to me, although they had some nice songs (a band that changes members after just one album and then comes with two double albums with 65% of album filler material is just not my piece of cake).

Fine if they do a reunion with their umpteenth line up, but not really a great progression in rock music.

Lol, I once played this record from 1979 to some friends claiming it was the newest GNR album.

Respect res.  They did put out two albums worth of material as the original line up.  Appetite and 2 EPs that were later  released under "GnR Lies".  Anyway, there is just magic between Slash and Axl, not unlike other duos in rock history.  Some musicians just mesh better.  Love Scott Weiland but he and Slash never meshed, IMO.  I plan on getting the cheapest seats possible with the best view of the entire stage, from far away, when they hit the Citrus Bowl in July.  Walter Jr has shown some interest in the show as he is a fan of "Welcome To The Jungle" and has perked up to Axl since he's been linked to AC/DC (his current favorite band). Mrs Walter is always up for it.  Every Guns show has had a story/memory associated with it, so why not? 

:peace: 

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Respect res.  They did put out two albums worth of material as the original line up.  Appetite and 2 EPs that were later  released under "GnR Lies".  Anyway, there is just magic between Slash and Axl, not unlike other duos in rock history.  Some musicians just mesh better.  Love Scott Weiland but he and Slash never meshed, IMO.  I plan on getting the cheapest seats possible with the best view of the entire stage, from far away, when they hit the Citrus Bowl in July.  Walter Jr has shown some interest in the show as he is a fan of "Welcome To The Jungle" and has perked up to Axl since he's been linked to AC/DC (his current favorite band). Mrs Walter is always up for it.  Every Guns show has had a story/memory associated with it, so why not? 

:peace: 

As long as the vibe makes sense, just go for it...nothing wrong with following your instincts. I mean I'm also just a complete sucker for Orchid who also just recycle Sabbath on steroids.

As far as Junior goes....feel free to feed him some Bon Scott.

Edited by reswati

1 hour ago, reswati said:

As long as the vibe makes sense, just go for it...nothing wrong with following your instincts. I mean I'm also just a complete sucker for Orchid who also just recycle Sabbath on steroids.

As far as Junior goes....feel free to feed him some Bon Scott.

I do.  He prefers the Brian Johnson era.  I still mix in Bon though... ;) 

It'll be interesting to see if Axl does fill in for the remaining AC/DC dates.

Well from what I heard Axl sounds better than I thought, not excited about going to Soldier Field in July w/ about 70,000 other people, that's too bad.

Reswati, I think you should give them another chance, millions of people can't be wrong. AFD & UYI 1&2 have some outstanding tracks on them.

1 hour ago, The Rover 75 said:

Well from what I heard Axl sounds better than I thought, not excited about going to Soldier Field in July w/ about 70,000 other people, that's too bad.

Reswati, I think you should give them another chance, millions of people can't be wrong. AFD & UYI 1&2 have some outstanding tracks on them.

As demonstrated by the likes of Pitbull, Coldplay, Ariana Grande, Train, Nickelback, and too many more than I care to mention, millions of people can be wrong.

I realize I speak from the perspective of old guy who saw G n R in a club in the 80s, but nothing can get me excited about this reunion. They started sucking on the Use Your Illusion tour and the tour with Metallica was dismal. I was through with Guns 'n' Roses for good after that.

Oh sure, every once in a while I would pull out "Appetite", "GnR Lies", and a few early bootlegs. I recognize the part they played in the 1980s scene, especially being from L.A. myself.

But even in their prime, they never became beloved the way Van Halen, Jane's Addiction, Fishbone, Dream Syndicate, Thelonious Monster and a few other L.A. bands occupy my heart.

Even less interesting to me than this reunion is the idea of Axl singing with AC/DC. I shudder at the thought.

Sebastian Bach would be a better idea. Hell, Blackie Lawless would be a better fit.

But, that's another case of a band going to the well once too often. Just as G n R lost its soul when Izzy left, AC/DC ain't the same without Malcom and Phil, let alone Bon.

Edited by Strider

6 hours ago, The Rover 75 said:

I had the pleasure of hearing their complete discography being played to death at the local coffeeshops here. To me they are a clone child of early Aerosmith mixed with Nazareth vocals.

In my opinion they are overhyped, overplayed and overrated.....(Even a gimmick ridden band like Kiss were more consistent). I have the same with Nirvana btw, they depress/bore me ex-ultima, while for some people they still seem to be something like a revolution in the annals of rock music.

And just as Strider said, if millions of followers make a band great musicians, then Kanye West is Mozart and Bieber is Beethoven.

Tastes may differ, nothing wrong with that.

Edited by reswati

17 hours ago, Strider said:

Even less interesting to me than this reunion is the idea of Axl singing with AC/DC. I shudder at the thought.

Hell, Blackie Lawless would be a better fit.

AWCA/DSCP ?

Cool, I wanna hear them play "For those about to fuck like a beast".....hahahahaaaaaa.

(Sorry, I'm a very silly person).

Edited by reswati

The YT videos show great sound mixing from the shows so far.

There's no denying that this could be THE concert of the event of the Summer!

Maybe I can score some tickets from a radio promotion. :lol:

Edited by The Rover

When GnR first played a gig in Halifax back in 87 or 88? Opening for Iron Maiden, they spent the ENTIRE night at the Misty Moon, and wished that that LA had a club like it which caused everyone in the Misty Moon to start laughing because everyone in Halifax always wished they had clubs like the ones in LA

Myself, Mrs Walter and Walter Jr will be at the July 29 show at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando.  We are all pumped for it!  Still no word about an opening act?  I've heard The Cult might be doing it, which would be interesting considering Sorum drummed for both them and Guns.  Axl does sound good!  Slash is, well, Slash.  Mrs Walter loves Duff.