New Orleans 73 Freezers Revenge

Xolo1974

Hi Zepheads.

I’ve got the SBD of this show and recently acquired the Freezers Revenge boot (AUD). 

The FR boot is decent, quite hissy. I was just wondering if there was a better audience source for this gig, or if anyone has done a decent remaster of the Freezer tape? 

Appreciate any help. 

Cheers

Neil

Bootledz choice is "Bourbon Street Renegades" from Empress Valley: http://www.bootledz.com/mypicks.htm. It also got a thumbs up on Collector's Music Review. They discuss the source of the audience tape, but conclude "The Witch Queen" from Tarantura is better.

"This was produced by the same taper responsible for Led Zeppelin’s February 28th, 1975 Baton Rouge tape along with several others (Sirene used his tapes for the ELP From Benny To Baton Rouge and King Crimson Heritage releases).  There was quite a lot of discussion on The Taper’s Den about this tape and it was finally posted as Freezer’s Revenge.  Some problems with this transfer regarding speed issues and tape stretches exist. 

Empress Valley claim to use a transfer of the master different than the internet source and this is accurate.  They use a previous transfer made for a select few collectors.  Once Freezer’s Revengewas posted one of the few made their copy available to recoup their loss.  None of the problems with the internet source are noticeable on this release.  It does sound very smudgy with a high pitched whine.  The Tarantua release of this tape on The Witch Queen is superior to this set in every way. "

https://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/empress-valley-label/led-zeppelin-bourbon-street-renegades-empress-valley-evsd-180181182-sbc-456/

Yeah, but the rest of the New Orleans show is sooooo overrated. The best part is the solo in Celebration Day and some of the banter. Otherwise, Page is obviously suffering from injury and Plant’s voice is more wrecked than usual. That whole May stretch is really uneven. Wrecked vocals, Page’s tendonitis, Bonham’s sluggish drumming. Mobile’s saving grace is the sound quality of the board, but the playing isn’t really that much better.  As mentioned in a different thread, that Denver sbd fragment from 5/25/73 suggests that show was fire. Heartbreaker is phenomenal. Everything else from May is just meh. 5/31 and 6/3 have the LA thing going for them. 6/2 is a good “event” but Page’s injury shows up throughout the show.

The fact that there was soooo much b.s. attached to that New Orleans audience tape (and the equally uneven Baton Rouge 75 tape) is more sad than anything else. 

The Winston remaster is the one to get imho, specifically the one where he used Freezer's audience tape as the main source and patched it with the soundboard. I uploaded it to my YouTube channel (minus the beginning of Stairway, which had to be edited out due to copyright problems). You can find it here:

3 hours ago, pluribus said:

Yeah, but the rest of the New Orleans show is sooooo overrated. The best part is the solo in Celebration Day and some of the banter. Otherwise, Page is obviously suffering from injury and Plant’s voice is more wrecked than usual. That whole May stretch is really uneven. Wrecked vocals, Page’s tendonitis, Bonham’s sluggish drumming. Mobile’s saving grace is the sound quality of the board, but the playing isn’t really that much better.  As mentioned in a different thread, that Denver sbd fragment from 5/25/73 suggests that show was fire. Heartbreaker is phenomenal. Everything else from May is just meh. 5/31 and 6/3 have the LA thing going for them. 6/2 is a good “event” but Page’s injury shows up throughout the show.

The fact that there was soooo much b.s. attached to that New Orleans audience tape (and the equally uneven Baton Rouge 75 tape) is more sad than anything else. 

I agree with you , as much as I love US '73 overall, the points you illustrate about this time are pretty spot on. Plant is cracking all over which has has been well worn out in discussions. He has some really painful clams on this show, especially SIBLY and No Quarter.   I wouldn't say Bonzo's drumming was consistently sluggish though. His playing on the NO show is really excellent IMO. Mobile is a great show for Bonzo,  with some wild adventurous playing , especially on Dazed. 

Edited by porgie66

7 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

The Winston remaster is the one to get imho, specifically the one where he used Freezer's audience tape as the main source and patched it with the soundboard. I uploaded it to my YouTube channel (minus the beginning of Stairway, which had to be edited out due to copyright problems). You can find it here:

Thanks. I always thought the WR was predominantly the SBD. Didn’t realise he used it to patch the AUD source. I’ll check it out. I’ll also check out the Tarantura version. 

I’m just getting into AUD sources a lot more lately.

Your versions of Seattle 73 and the last night at Earls Court are still my go to’s. And I love your compilations. You’re a good bloke for sharing and doing such great work. Thanks bud 

Incredibly, twelve and a half years later, the original "Freezer's Revenge" torrent at the trader's den -with all the drama it entailed- is still available 😄 A transfer from the man's own master tape, like his "12th Gen" version of '75 Baton Rouge show, can't beat that.

It is a sloppy show kinda, but just the story behind how these tapes got out is a fucking classic.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:44 AM, Sticks of Fire said:

It’ll be ten minutes of your life you’ll wish you had back 👍

Unless, of course, you want to know just how sleazy and underhanded some Zep tape collectors can be. Then those "Freezer" threads at the Den are very educational!

Why so disparaging, Sticks? Were you one of the guilty parties involved in this NOLA '73 tape saga back in 2006? 

2 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Unless, of course, you want to know just how sleazy and underhanded some Zep tape collectors can be. Then those "Freezer" threads at the Den are very educational!

Why so disparaging, Sticks? Were you one of the guilty parties involved in this NOLA '73 tape saga back in 2006? 

Nah, have at it if you wish and don’t let me stop you.  There are what like 500 live tapes and many more exciting ones.   And isn’t Mr Freezer dead?   And he has children so let the man live in peace.  I never thought his tapes were anything special.  I heard that Les Astray album years ago with part of Baton Rouge and compared to the Millard 3/11/75 tape I had that Led Astray sounded like a turd. 

Id rather learn about tons of other live Zep tapes and how they surfaced than those.

Edited by Sticks of Fire

2 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Nah, have at it if you wish and don’t let me stop you.  There are what like 500 live tapes and many more exciting ones.   And isn’t Mr Freezer dead?   And he has children so let the man live in peace.  I never thought his tapes were anything special.  I heard that Les Astray album years ago with part of Baton Rouge and compared to the Millard 3/11/75 tape I had that Led Astray sounded like a turd. 

Id rather learn about tons of other live Zep tapes and how they surfaced than those.

Forget about his other tapes. The Baton Rouge 1977 tape itself is not only special, it's legendary. And it remains in the hands of a selected few (if not totally lost) because of some selfish assholes and bootlegers. Freezer got angry and refused to share his tape with the general public. 

Edited by confounded_bridge

30 minutes ago, confounded_bridge said:

Forget about his other tapes. The Baton Rouge 1977 tape itself is not only special, it's legendary.

Could be, but the dates around that Baton Rouge show all highlight how on/off the performances were. It’s those New York and LA shows in June that were the truly special ones. 

18 hours ago, pluribus said:

Could be, but the dates around that Baton Rouge show all highlight how on/off the performances were. It’s those New York and LA shows in June that were the truly special ones. 

If the Baton Rouge show was anywhere near as good as the show in Birmingham the night before, the Red Stickers got lucky in 1977.

• 11 months later...
4 hours ago, geauxlden eagle said:

I grew up in BR, and begged like hell to go to this.  Unfortunately, I was only 11 at the time. 

I know the feeling- my aunt and uncle were going to take me to see Zeppelin in Seattle in '77 but my folks put the kibosh on the idea, I was only nine at the time😆

When I put up all those Freezer recordings on Dime and at Trader's Den earlier this summer I actually listened to this '73 NOLA gig (Freezer's audience tape, of course) for maybe the second or third time ever in its entirety (I've never heard the board tape). Yeah...it's pretty fuckin' bad in places😆 but as you can tell from the audience tape they were playing with the houselights on for whatever reason. It seems like one of those shows like Louisville '77 where the band were distracted by whatever was going on in the audience etc, on top of how out of it Robert and Jimmy were on the night😆 The fuss surrounding Freezer's recording of this show vastly outweighs its significance as a performance. 

And the original "Freezer's Revenge" torrent is still up and running, and I skimmed through that whole fucking dialogue -and others- to glean what information I could find Freezer actually gave out amongst all the trolling and taunting regarding his recordings. There are some funny comments in those Den threads but I still sorta felt like I needed to take a shower when I was done reading all that crap.

11 hours ago, geauxlden eagle said:

Art had some pretty good rants on G101 back in the day too.  Very interesting reading.

Oh, Freezer could rant it up with the best of 'em, obviously, he liked that Bobby Heenan persona😅 In private conversation though, totally different species. Especially when I made it clear that I respected his work (and him), he'd already given more than his share to the live music trading community and he in fact was the taper of the first bootleg I ever bought (Stones Baton Rouge '75, double LP). I miss the guy, and Trader's Den sure as hell hasn't been the same since he passed on. 

Shit, inadvertedly Freezer is the reason I became a member both here and at Royal Orleans. He asked me privately to try and find out who told the old TCOLZ label his LZ Baton Rouge '77 recording was coming out, which of course led me here and the Hotel. It took some digging but the culprits were eventually uncovered...