New Book from Japan, Led Zeppelin Live Tour 1971-1972

duckman

From Google Translate:

Numerous unused photos are also posted! 
“Japan Performance” summary mook series by legendary band. The latest issue is a thorough special feature of “Red Zeppelin” two visits to Japan! The

date of the first visit to Red Zeppelin (September 1971) and the return date of the following year (October 1972) Uncovered black-and-white and negative files taken in the past, including unused cuts with no traces printed on them, and the freshness of different shots lined up before and after cuts that are already around and familiar It will be exciting. In addition to these rare black-and-white photographs, we will release the ZEP version of the “Live Tour in Japan” series, which we have carefully put out and compiled color photographs taken from both years! The Japanese performance of the month was a great performance in the career as a live band, and it was a tour in which all the members were the most greasy, and the strongest Led Zeppelin performed a truly legendary performance. The pattern became known to fans around the world through the bootleg, and the Japanese audience who was able to experience it at that time continues to attract envy from overseas ZEP enthusiasts. Many of these historical photographs that convey the enthusiasm to the present ... This is a must-read book for rock listeners!

On 9/1/2019 at 4:06 AM, SteveZ98 said:

From Google Translate:

Numerous unused photos are also posted! 
“Japan Performance” summary mook series by legendary band. The latest issue is a thorough special feature of “Red Zeppelin” two visits to Japan! The

date of the first visit to Red Zeppelin (September 1971) and the return date of the following year (October 1972) Uncovered black-and-white and negative files taken in the past, including unused cuts with no traces printed on them, and the freshness of different shots lined up before and after cuts that are already around and familiar It will be exciting. In addition to these rare black-and-white photographs, we will release the ZEP version of the “Live Tour in Japan” series, which we have carefully put out and compiled color photographs taken from both years! The Japanese performance of the month was a great performance in the career as a live band, and it was a tour in which all the members were the most greasy, and the strongest Led Zeppelin performed a truly legendary performance. The pattern became known to fans around the world through the bootleg, and the Japanese audience who was able to experience it at that time continues to attract envy from overseas ZEP enthusiasts. Many of these historical photographs that convey the enthusiasm to the present ... This is a must-read book for rock listeners!

Red Zeppelin? Seriously? Now that is some seriously racist shit right there. Cannot believe even Google Translate is racist. Damn

On 9/4/2019 at 4:21 AM, Tainted cheese said:

Wishing for more, Lets hope EV releases the rest of Sept 28 to coincide with it as well . . . most likely next year on its anniversary if the rest does exist. 

Fingers crossed, but I don´t think it will happen in 2019, normally there are prior announcements about two months before the release.

Maybe next year, but dead certain in 2021 to the 50 anniversary. 

Anyway, I am prepared for the complete 928 & the rest of 929. Who´s to say that there aren´t SBs for 923, 924 & 927 as well?

This topic made me do some digging.   Pretty interesting picture of Bonham manning an early portable Akai black and white video camera at the airport in Japan 1971.   

Many pictures show the band with 8mm film cameras sight seeing in Japan and Jimmy posted some of his Japan home movies on his “On This Day” feature.

But seeing Bonham with a video recorder with built-in mic brings up all sorts of possibilities of some Japan 1971 black and white video.  

We can only hope one of the roadies or Grant manned this camera for part of one of the Japan 1971 concerts. 

67368DAB-3946-43AB-9CEE-54CDD7549488.jpeg

1D86309C-D6B9-434B-A40E-51B0AC1C6982.jpeg

14EEA482-9FF1-4862-AD7A-D148C2C198BB.jpeg

Edited by Sticks of Fire

1 hour ago, Sticks of Fire said:

This topic made me do some digging.   Pretty interesting picture of Bonham manning an early portable Akai black and white video camera at the airport in Japan 1971.   

Many pictures show the band with 8mm film cameras sight seeing in Japan and Jimmy posted some of his Japan home movies on his “On This Day” feature.

But seeing Bonham with a video recorder with built-in mic brings up all sorts of possibilities of some Japan 1971 black and white video.  

We can only hope one of the roadies or Grant manned this camera for part of one of the Japan 1971 concerts. 

Would these cameras they bought in Japan 71 have been used to shoot footage in Sydney in Feb of 72? Maybe the road crew used them , or had their own. It's possible there is much more footage, although they would only be little snippets ( 2 or 3 mins)  due to the nature of 8mm reels back then. Like the clips from Japan 71. 

55 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Would these cameras they bought in Japan 71 have been used to shoot footage in Sydney in Feb of 72? Maybe the road crew used them , or had their own. It's possible there is much more footage, although they would only be little snippets ( 2 or 3 mins)  due to the nature of 8mm reels back then. Like the clips from Japan 71. 

Yes the 8mm cameras for sure.  You can see photos and 8mm film of Grant and the roadies shooting onstage at Sydney.   

You’d think they did the same in Japan.  And then the possibility of longer segments shot on black and white video.  This stuff would be a holy grail for many collectors!!

Edited by Sticks of Fire

5 hours ago, porgie66 said:

It's possible there is much more footage, although they would only be little snippets ( 2 or 3 mins)  due to the nature of 8mm reels back then.

Difference being the Akai is on video tape so the footage maybe a lot longer. The Sydney footage mentioned appears to be shot on 16MM black and white film rather than video tape. Hopeful Bonzo and others shot a ton of footage on that new machine. 

Also the Italian gig from July 1971 - Look at all those cameras behind the stage. Someone back there had to have a Super 8MM or 16MM camera rolling.  

milan71-pic2_0.jpg

7 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Very interesting. Odd that there's no other photos through the years of Bonzo with this video camera. How great would that be, if this video exists.

So all of newly-discovered photos in this upcoming Japan book are available now on Getty?  Saved me from having to buy it.

6 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

Very interesting. Odd that there's no other photos through the years of Bonzo with this video camera. How great would that be, if this video exists.

So all of newly-discovered photos in this upcoming Japan book are available now on Getty?  Saved me from having to buy it.

Agreed we haven’t seen this video camera before.  But maybe it was used this one tour and felt to be cumbersome because of the video deck that needed to be hauled around with the camera or just average quality so they just went with the hand held 8mm cameras as seen in the onstage Sydney 1972 films.  And also because of ease of use with the 8mm cameras.

(I believe the 1972 Sydney onstage films came from the Bonham estate and Peter Grants films are still unseen).

18 hours ago, porgie66 said:

George, I suspect the footage you posted on your You Tube channel of Australia '72 was shot with one of these cameras, by a roadie. Given the long focus on Bonzo for Moby Dick, I wouldn't mind betting the film shooter was Mick Hinton.

Here are the two 8mm film cameras seen in the Japan sight seeing photos.   The one both Jimmy and Peter Grant are using looks to be the same camera and looks like a high quality camera.  Grant can also be seen on stage at the Sydney 1972 concert with the same camera.   The other camera was probably John Bonham’s and where the Sydney footage originates.

Surely someone in the band’s outfit shot some concert footage of at least part of one of the Japan concerts with these 2, 8mm cameras.  

Lets hope the video machine was used too!!

4DE369DD-BCE5-4C0C-88B3-08FC21DF2254.jpeg

00C9FF2A-FE09-4D1F-96BA-A12BDE202EC3.jpeg

35EBC53C-8482-411B-B4C2-0096C0146A71.jpeg

Edited by Sticks of Fire

37 minutes ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Here are the two 8mm film cameras seen in the Japan sight seeing photos.   The one both Jimmy and Peter Grant are using looks to be the same camera and looks like a high quality camera.  Grant can also be seen on stage at the Sydney 1972 concert with the same camera.   The other camera was probably John Bonham’s and where the Sydney footage originates.

Surely someone in the band’s outfit shot some concert footage of at least part of one of the Japan concerts with these 2, 8mm cameras.  

Lets hope the video machine was used too!!

4DE369DD-BCE5-4C0C-88B3-08FC21DF2254.jpeg

00C9FF2A-FE09-4D1F-96BA-A12BDE202EC3.jpeg

35EBC53C-8482-411B-B4C2-0096C0146A71.jpeg

Undoubtedly they must have raided the tax free shops in Tokyo on arrival, September 21. The band, Peter Grant and Cole bought all  bought expensive Nikon gear (Nikon F single lens reflex, Nikkormat, Nikon R8 ciné camera's). Since the early sixties until the new millenium Nikon was King in high end photography. The Akai video cam was consumer grade equipment. Quite expensive as well, but home video technology was still at its infancy. I think the B&W footage from those reels- if they survived !- will be a tough ride to view, let alone restore. 

1 hour ago, duckman said:

Undoubtedly they must have raided the tax free shops in Tokyo on arrival, September 21. The band, Peter Grant and Cole bought all  bought expensive Nikon gear (Nikon F single lens reflex, Nikkormat, Nikon R8 ciné camera's). Since the early sixties until the new millenium Nikon was King in high end photography. The Akai video cam was consumer grade equipment. Quite expensive as well, but home video technology was still at its infancy. I think the B&W footage from those reels- if they survived !- will be a tough ride to view, let alone restore. 

I agree.   I grew up with my dad using those exact same Nikons every day so I have almost noticed the camera and 8mm cameras in the pictures.   So cool to see.    Plant may have use the same Nikon for the Wings concert he attended in 1974 in London.   

No doubt if black and white video exists it wouldn’t be the best quality.  Much like the Fillmore East video of the Dead or Hendrix done by Bill Graham’s peolple. 

On 9/9/2019 at 2:32 PM, 76229 said:

George, I suspect the footage you posted on your You Tube channel of Australia '72 was shot with one of these cameras, by a roadie. Given the long focus on Bonzo for Moby Dick, I wouldn't mind betting the film shooter was Mick Hinton.

That's a good bet. It makes sense that it could be Bonzo's Akai that was used , per his instruction. The camera does focus on him a good amount of the time and there is a lot of footage of the drum solo.  While it would be nice to see some more clips, the prospect of more surfacing isn't madly exciting. First of all it would need to be synced up with whatever audio is available (unless these machines recorded audio as well?) , and after all these years I'm sure the condition has degraded. My post on YouTube actually got complaints from some morons. Someone asked me to take it down, that's it's worthless ...LOL. Some people, I tell ya! 🙄

On 9/8/2019 at 12:02 PM, Autumn Moon said:

Fingers crossed, but I don´t think it will happen in 2019, normally there are prior announcements about two months before the release.

Maybe next year, but dead certain in 2021 to the 50 anniversary. 

Anyway, I am prepared for the complete 928 & the rest of 929. Who´s to say that there aren´t SBs for 923, 924 & 927 as well?

Probably right, but we've been surprised before, but who the hell knows what they'll do, having the patience to sit on these for so long is beyond my comprehension. I couldn't do it.

10 hours ago, porgie66 said:

That's a good bet. It makes sense that it could be Bonzo's Akai that was used , per his instruction. The camera does focus on him a good amount of the time and there is a lot of footage of the drum solo.  While it would be nice to see some more clips, the prospect of more surfacing isn't madly exciting. First of all it would need to be synced up with whatever audio is available (unless these machines recorded audio as well?) , and after all these years I'm sure the condition has degraded. My post on YouTube actually got complaints from some morons. Someone asked me to take it down, that's it's worthless ...LOL. Some people, I tell ya! 🙄

Worthless?! At one point you see Bonzo's foot technique. Actual film of it! I'd have paid for that on its own, lol