New Book from Japan, Led Zeppelin Live Tour 1971-1972

duckman

7 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Any idea where to buy this book? I visited amazon japan just to find out that the english version doesn´t work proper. No clue if they ship to Europe......

Does anyone have experience with book orders from Japan?

I ordered through Amazon.jp...no problem

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4401648102/ref=pe_492632_159100282_TE_item

With normal priority shipping and a deposit for import duties, the price tag becomes pretty steep though😡

• 3 weeks later...

DHL delivered the Live Tour in Japan 71-72 book today (ordered from amazon Jp, shipped on 30 sept.!!!!, economy air mail).

What to say?..the 'usual suspects' are included. The Teriyaki and sushi meal, the band visiting Hiroshima, ceremony at town hall, press conference and rehearsal plus in concert stuff...all filed chronologically . Strangely enough the pub jam session is not included (and no 929 shots either:-( Thankfully there's a lot more to enjoy, however most concert pics from 71 are severely under exposed, blurred and not always sharp. A pleasant surprise are the 1972 pictures. Superior to most 71 pictures...and IMHO more appealing. The text? Japanese only but that was to be expected. Disappointed?  no, but be sure to set your expectations not too high. Kinda visual warts and all documentary. Not an award winning coffee table photo book.

Edited by duckman

20 minutes ago, June72 said:

I'm sorry, what's this? Never heard of it.

you surely must have seen this picture of Bonzo jamming' with Jimmy (using a Greco Gibson ES copy?), Jonesy (sporting a Yamaha Samurai bass), playing seated in a Japanese club/pub. Always wondered what they were playing that night

5a76373ec75b9_Zepbackstage1.thumb.jpg.e207445b9d7758e0d827da65aa784b17.jpg

On 9/11/2019 at 2:11 AM, duckman said:

Undoubtedly they must have raided the tax free shops in Tokyo on arrival, September 21. The band, Peter Grant and Cole bought all  bought expensive Nikon gear (Nikon F single lens reflex, Nikkormat, Nikon R8 ciné camera's). Since the early sixties until the new millenium Nikon was King in high end photography. The Akai video cam was consumer grade equipment. Quite expensive as well, but home video technology was still at its infancy. I think the B&W footage from those reels- if they survived !- will be a tough ride to view, let alone restore. 

New toys to play with, which would also explain why the footage release so far is so...unremarkable.

Edited by SteveAJones

On 10/2/2019 at 7:11 PM, duckman said:

DHL delivered the Live Tour in Japan 71-72 book today (ordered from amazon Jp, shipped on 30 sept.!!!!, economy air mail).

What to say?..the 'usual suspects' are included. The Teriyaki and sushi meal, the band visiting Hiroshima, ceremony at town hall, press conference and rehearsal plus in concert stuff...all filed chronologically . Strangely enough the pub jam session is not included (and no 929 shots either:-( Thankfully there's a lot more to enjoy, however most concert pics from 71 are severely under exposed, blurred and not always sharp. A pleasant surprise are the 1972 pictures. Superior to most 71 pictures...and IMHO more appealing. The text? Japanese only but that was to be expected. Disappointed?  no, but be sure to set your expectations not too high. Kinda visual warts and all documentary. Not an award winning coffee table photo book.

Hi Eric, got my copy last friday, thanks again for your guidance.

Agreed, more pro shots would have been nice, but on the whole I really like this book. I have noticed there is no 924 concert photo either. I always have tried to distinguish the different 71 photos/dates via Jimmy´s clothes.

No doubt about 923: Jimmy wears the dark T-shirt with the nice sun image (purchased in Montreux, I guess) and the brown suit jacket for the first songs.

924: The dark blue T-shirt with the red lines at neck & sleeve ends. 

927: Small stage, white shirt with small knitted pullunder (indeed very small, could have been a present for his 15th birthday).

928: Revelation, thanks to this new book-   almost same clothes as in Hiroshima, but this time a white shirt with very thin blue lines. Teeny pullunder in action once again!

929, still a mistery to me: I think most of the bootleg releases (including the recent 929 SB) got it wrong, presenting photos of the actual 924 Budokan gig, with Jimy wearing the blue T-shirt with red lines. Some boots have photos with Jimmy wearing a red shirt, but I think they are from Hampton or the Berkeley gigs. In my opinion he wore the brown suit trousers and a bright shirt with much thinner fabric than the shirts he wore 927 & 928. Also, I think Robert wears a sun image T-shirt, same as Jimmy on 923.

What do you think?

1 hour ago, Autumn Moon said:

I always have tried to distinguish the different 71 photos/dates via Jimmy´s clothes.

No doubt about 923: Jimmy wears the dark T-shirt with the nice sun image (purchased in Montreux, I guess) and the brown suit jacket for the first songs.

924: The dark blue T-shirt with the red lines at neck & sleeve ends. 

927: Small stage, white shirt with small knitted pullunder (indeed very small, could have been a present for his 15th birthday).

928: Revelation, thanks to this new book-   almost same clothes as in Hiroshima, but this time a white shirt with very thin blue lines. Teeny pullunder in action once again!

929, still a mistery to me: I think most of the bootleg releases (including the recent 929 SB) got it wrong, presenting photos of the actual 924 Budokan gig, with Jimy wearing the blue T-shirt with red lines. Some boots have photos with Jimmy wearing a red shirt, but I think they are from Hampton or the Berkeley gigs. In my opinion he wore the brown suit trousers and a bright shirt with much thinner fabric than the shirts he wore 927 & 928. Also, I think Robert wears a sun image T-shirt, same as Jimmy on 923.

What do you think?

I just spent a long time comparing photos from various websites and this is what I came up with...

Plant didn't wear the sun shirt on 9/29. This photo shows Plant wearing the same shirt he did on 9/23 and 9/27... and it's definitely from 9/29 as the song being played is Friends.

It would appear that Plant wore the sun shirt on 9/24... the banner showing the bands name that stretches behind the stage matches the one on 9/23. Other photos of Page and Jones that are labeled as Osaka on the official website, are in fact also 9/24. Also this one of all three of them.

As for the photos of Page wearing the blue shirt with red lines, these are not from Tokyo or Hiroshima, as the stage does not match. That leaves only 9/29 as the possible match.

1 hour ago, William Austin said:

I just spent a long time comparing photos from various websites and this is what I came up with...

Plant didn't wear the sun shirt on 9/29. This photo shows Plant wearing the same shirt he did on 9/23 and 9/27... and it's definitely from 9/29 as the song being played is Friends.

It would appear that Plant wore the sun shirt on 9/24... the banner showing the bands name that stretches behind the stage matches the one on 9/23. Other photos of Page and Jones that are labeled as Osaka on the official website, are in fact also 9/24. Also this one of all three of them.

As for the photos of Page wearing the blue shirt with red lines, these are not from Tokyo or Hiroshima, as the stage does not match. That leaves only 9/29 as the possible match.

Great job, William and Robert👍.

@Robert, I'm afraid William is right,  that photo depicting Plant in blue open shirt and Bonzo shows them playing Friends, so 929 it is. 

By the way, are we the only three punters here at the forum who acquired the Live 71-72 Japan book? I would love to read other opinions here (@Pluribus, Steve A Jones... where are you guys???)

Almost there. Page in the pink shirt and Plant in the sun shirt are from 9/24. You can see the Tokyo stage sign behind Page. Page only wore the sun shirt at Tokyo 9/23.

9/28 photos look nearly identical to 9/27, except for Jones’ shirt - which is white shirt sleeve at Hiroshima and a longer sleeve shirt at 9/28 and 9/29. Osaka 9/29 is Page in the blue/red shirt.

9 hours ago, duckman said:

By the way, are we the only three punters here at the forum who acquired the Live 71-72 Japan book? I would love to read other opinions here (@Pluribus, Steve A Jones... where are you guys???)

I purchased my copy at a bookstore in Tokyo the day of release and I flipped through it that night. It's a solid effort, and definitely a must for people just getting into the history of the group. Personally, I was hoping for clearer live shots and more unseen offstage shots but all in all it's about what I expected. The cover price here is 3,200 yen (about $31.00 USD). 

16 hours ago, duckman said:

@Robert, I'm afraid William is right,  that photo depicting Plant in blue open shirt and Bonzo shows them playing Friends, so 929 it is. 

Haha, yes, of course William is right. I was much too focused on Jimmy´s clothes, couldn´t see the forest for the trees.

Many thanks to pluribus, William Austin and sam webmaster for their contribution to solve the mystery.

16 hours ago, duckman said:

By the way, are we the only three punters here at the forum who acquired the Live 71-72 Japan book?

Sure, what do you expect? New book: 3 to 5 folks. New boot: 3 to 10 folks.........an endangered species, indeed.

18 hours ago, duckman said:

Great job, William and Robert👍.

Im waiting for mine to arrive from Nippon. 😊

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, lapepalz said:

Could someone tell me if you have new photos and is this book worth buying?

Yes there are new photo's on top of the familiar ones (e.g. the Hiroshima visit, the Japanese dinner, some concert pics). The additional 1971 concert photos are by no means masterpieces in the same league as Chuck Boyd, Neil Preston, Bob Gruen or Jorgen Angel. As I mentioned earlier the editors preferred a warts'n all approach -especially for September 71. Sharpness (or the lack of),  excess grain, underexposure,... were no objections. Judging the overall lightning during the 71 performances , me thinks the stages were not lit as well as U.S or European shows. Especially since Japanese camera manufacturers such as Nikon were already in pole postion for producing high speed telephoto lenses such as the 180 and 300mm ones, the results are a bit frustrating. 

The 1972 pics are a pleasant surprise.

Bottom line: It's a soft cover publication and has more the feel of a deluxe magazine than a coffee table book. I love Japan and am a huge Zeppelin Live in Japan aficionado ...so acquiring this book was a must.

• 3 years later...

Does this book have a gear list page ?, i.e. " equipment list"?, is there a '71 UK tour book available?,

As i was watching a video on Youtube on the making of LZ IV &it listed/mentioned on the UK tour that "Bonzo" Bonhma played/used 2X Paiste 20" crashes?,

Can anyone confirm this as being correct,right&true?.

On 12/13/2023 at 2:38 AM, AussieOzzieZeppfan said:

Does this book have a gear list page ?, i.e. " equipment list"?

This particular book has no equipment lists. The publisher did a dedicated book on Bonzo (and Jonesy as well). I ordered the Jonesy book from amazon.jp and this one has an exhaustive overview of his basses, keyboards and amps. I assume the Bonzo book is conceived the same way. So if you're interested in the kind of Ludwig kits cymbals and gongs Bonzo was using, this might be a very good reference. Language is Japanese though.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/4401649834/ref=pd_sim_d_sccl_3_2/357-4713468-8849968?pd_rd_w=I0hFz&content-id=amzn1.sym.983431a6-9909-47ee-97a9-8c450a751337&pf_rd_p=983431a6-9909-47ee-97a9-8c450a751337&pf_rd_r=1YMBQGYRSYM3KKWGRJ6J&pd_rd_wg=pI4e4&pd_rd_r=a308ef9f-ccff-40bb-bec6-b09bc6e57132&pd_rd_i=4401649834&psc=1