Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
William Austin

Plant's Best Show

Plant's Best Show  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What in your opinion was Robert Plant's best live performance?

• October 10, 1969 - Paris
    • June 28, 1970 - Bath Festival
    • August 31, 1970 - Milwaukee
    • September 19, 1970 - New York
    • March 5, 1971 - Belfast
    • May 3, 1971 - Copenhagen
    • Other (specify)

I don't believe Plant gave a bad performance prior to 1973, but these choices are what is generally considered to be his best shows. 

My choice, hands down, is Belfast.

Choosing just one is so difficult... I think I'll go with Copenhagen. That version of Four Sticks blows me away every time I hear it. I'd probably round out the Top 3 with Belfast and MSG Evening show.

14 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

How about his best performance post-1973??? I would say 6-13-77.

I would switch that discussion to post-72. Baltimore and LA were fantastic, but other than that I can't think of many overall great shows.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:34 PM, June72 said:

I would switch that discussion to post-72. Baltimore and LA were fantastic, but other than that I can't think of many overall great shows.

I guess you are very particular as Plant sounded great for most of 77' - 80'. He was no longer sounding like his dick was caught in a coffee grinder (thank god) as he did 68'-72' but if that is what you like, more power to ya. Sure, Plant had better range in the pre-73' days but even by his own admission he was doing less actual signing and just going for the histrionics. After his throat surgery and post-75' he sounded better IMO than he did in the early days but then again, I never went for that screaming banshee shit unless a particular passage in a tune really required it.

It's all subjective

3 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I guess you are very particular as Plant sounded great for most of 77' - 80'. He was no longer sounding like his dick was caught in a coffee grinder (thank god) as he did 68'-72' but if that is what you like, more power to ya. Sure, Plant had better range in the pre-73' days but even by his own admission he was doing less actual signing and just going for the histrionics. After his throat surgery and post-75' he sounded better IMO than he did in the early days but then again, I never went for that screaming banshee shit unless a particular passage in a tune really required it.

It's all subjective

Sorry, I was referring to specifically '73. I love his voice from '77-'80. I find 73 to generally be one of his weakest years. You think his voice was better in '77-'80? That's fine, I'd definitely disagree. I think your evaluation of '68-'72 is rather unfair, it was all about power in those days. That's what the band was.

I realize it's all subjective, I don't think I implied otherwise (?)

On 9/9/2019 at 8:15 PM, June72 said:

Sorry, I was referring to specifically '73. I love his voice from '77-'80. I find 73 to generally be one of his weakest years. You think his voice was better in '77-'80? That's fine, I'd definitely disagree. I think your evaluation of '68-'72 is rather unfair, it was all about power in those days. That's what the band was.

I realize it's all subjective, I don't think I implied otherwise (?)

It's all good, we each have our own preferences. No worries.

5 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

It's all good, we each have our own preferences. No worries.

😎👍