If you were able to obtain a new recording from any show we haven't heard yet, which would it be?

June72

14 minutes ago, June72 said:

Buffalo and Denver '72 are at the top of my list, as both are rumored to have additional '72 versions of The Ocean, and Denver is said to have another Louie Louie.

Great choices.    Denver has to be top 3.   A May 1971 show with breakouts from the Zoso album.   The other set from Central Park July 1969 would be sweet.  

Lots of other could be mentioned too!

Anything from Scandinavia 1968.

Anything from the UK shows 1968, to see how the set & improvisations were evolving by then.

Any or all of the missing '77 shows. I refuse to believe any of those shows had not a single bootlegger in the audience as they were so huge by then.

Boston 1969, either May or the full 4 hour January show (if it happened!)

4 hours ago, 76229 said:

Any or all of the missing '77 shows. I refuse to believe any of those shows had not a single bootlegger in the audience as they were so huge by then.

Love all of your picks. As for '77 specifically, one can only assume that a bootlegger might think "ah this tape is shit," and had re-recorded over it or just never bothered to do anything with it. Maybe they don't know there are people out here fiending for these tapes. Maybe they;re hoarding assholes. Who knows? The '77 tapes are still probably the most likely to pop-up.

7 hours ago, June72 said:

Love all of your picks. As for '77 specifically, one can only assume that a bootlegger might think "ah this tape is shit," and had re-recorded over it or just never bothered to do anything with it. Maybe they don't know there are people out here fiending for these tapes. Maybe they;re hoarding assholes. Who knows? The '77 tapes are still probably the most likely to pop-up.

Cheers. Surely someone prepared to go to the trouble (and physical danger with Grant & Cole around!) wouldn't be unaware there are people who'd kill for these tapes. I just find it so frustrating, the '77 gaps, especially the absence of the opening show in Dallas. The biggest band in the world start their first tour for two years and NOBODY RECORDED IT??!!

Sorry, I don't believe it. There must have been at least one audience recording just, as you say, it came out badly so got recorded over or whatever.

Speaking of hoarders, ever heard the rumour there's a bloke hoarding Denver 1968? There's a tape I'd add to my original list...

9 minutes ago, 76229 said:

Speaking of hoarders, ever heard the rumour there's a bloke hoarding Denver 1968? There's a tape I'd add to my original list...

I'm sorry, you're telling me there's a rumor that Zeppelin's first ever United States Concert is being hoarded? Hm.. I almost want it to be true. It could be total fabrication (considering it's their FIRST US CONCERT EVER), but that'd be amazing if that existed. If it's true, I hope it surfaces one day... that'd be a historic tape to say the very least.

Speaking of first shows of a tour, I'll throw out one most won't...Minneapolis '75.  Didn't Plant get the flu after that show?  Would be cool to hear "When The Levee Breaks" & "The Wanton Song" with him in good voice...

Atlanta '73 is missing too...there really is something about first shows lol

2 hours ago, jabe said:

Tuscaloosa, May 1973. 
To complete Zeppelin's Alabama trilogy, i.e., 
"How The (Deep) South Was Won"

I would love for this one to come out as well!  Read the accounts and reports on the official timeline, and it sounds like it was a killer show!  Plus, I've been there for a Tide football game, so it's special because of that--same reason I want Baton Rouge '77 especially (been to an LSU game).

I'll nominate two dark horses that I've never seen mentioned here, but they're on the official timeline:

March 31, 1969 at Cooks Ferry Inn in London, and;

March 31, 1970 at The Spectrum in Philadelphia.

March 31 is my birthday, so it would be cool to have those.  Both are part of strings of shows seven days in a row (London is the fifth of seven and Philly is the seventh of seven)!  Just crazy scheduling, especially the 1970 run since it was in the States, with much longer distances between shows: Denver, Salt Lake City, Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, Pittsburgh & Philadelphia all in one week!  Not to mention, they didn't have their own jet at that point, right?

Edited by Bonzo_fan

Denver 72 is a damn good choice, but my personal preference would be Vancouver 8/19/71. First off, this is before Plant strained his voice in LA two days later and consequently ended up singing with a bit of a crack for the rest of the tour. Hearing him still in his true prime would be incredible. Secondly, given how it was the first show of the tour, they may very well have thrown in some oddities. Someone who commented on the show claimed this was the setlist:

Immigrant Song
Heartbreaker
Since I've Been Loving You
Black Dog
Gallows Pole
Celebration Day
Tangerine...Electric Version with the Les Paul
That's The Way
Going To California
Friends
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
WIAWSNB
Dazed And Confused
Stairway To Heaven...North American debut
Whole Lotta Love....Medley

Two encores Communication Breakdown, Thank You

I personally think it sounds too good to be true (especially since the order is completely different than a typical show from this era), but even if this were just a standard 1971 setlist, it would still mark the debut of Stairway to Heaven on North American soil! I'd love for anything to surface from it!