If you were able to obtain a new recording from any show we haven't heard yet, which would it be?

June72

46 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

Denver 72 is a damn good choice, but my personal preference would be Vancouver 8/19/71. First off, this is before Plant strained his voice in LA two days later and consequently ended up singing with a bit of a crack for the rest of the tour. Hearing him still in his true prime would be incredible. Secondly, given how it was the first show of the tour, they may very well have thrown in some oddities. Someone who commented on the show claimed this was the setlist...

Damn, that set sounds awesome. Wayyyyy too good to be true probably, but awesome nonetheless. That being said, opening nights often can have experimental setlists. It definitely would be great to have another prime era Plant show, because he certainly took a turn for the worse not too soon after. 

On 9/11/2019 at 8:38 AM, June72 said:

Love all of your picks. As for '77 specifically, one can only assume that a bootlegger might think "ah this tape is shit," and had re-recorded over it or just never bothered to do anything with it. Maybe they don't know there are people out here fiending for these tapes. Maybe they;re hoarding assholes. Who knows? The '77 tapes are still probably the most likely to pop-up.

Well, seven '77 shows are missing commonly circulating recordings. Over the years, in addition to Freezer's infamous Baton Rouge tape, I've been told Indianapolis was taped as well (a story I've told here before). Fakes of Dallas and St Louis have also been passed off utilizing the crappy May 25 Landover audience tapes.

On 9/11/2019 at 1:45 PM, hercoflex said:

For me it would be New Orleans 29 August 1971.

Freezer taped that one as well, and gave it to the head of the traders den site along with his Baton Rouge '77 recording to be uploaded back in 2008. Of course neither show ended up being uploaded when representatives from the now defunct TCOLZ label found out and leaked the news they were about to come out. I was the guy who tipped Freezer and Lynne off about the leak and they did NOT want another "Freezers Revenge" brouhaha to break out on the site...

On 9/11/2019 at 4:43 PM, 76229 said:

Cheers. Surely someone prepared to go to the trouble (and physical danger with Grant & Cole around!) wouldn't be unaware there are people who'd kill for these tapes. I just find it so frustrating, the '77 gaps, especially the absence of the opening show in Dallas. The biggest band in the world start their first tour for two years and NOBODY RECORDED IT??!!

Sorry, I don't believe it. There must have been at least one audience recording just, as you say, it came out badly so got recorded over or whatever.

Speaking of hoarders, ever heard the rumour there's a bloke hoarding Denver 1968? There's a tape I'd add to my original list...

I find it hard to believe nobody taped Dallas '77 either. I likewise have a hard time swallowing that there was only ONE FUCKING TAPER in the Pontiac Silverdome on April 30 out of 76000 punters (and, no, let's not get tripped off on the goddamn mythical Pontiac video...😂)

On 9/12/2019 at 8:17 PM, Bonzo_fan said:

I would love for this one to come out as well!  Read the accounts and reports on the official timeline, and it sounds like it was a killer show!  Plus, I've been there for a Tide football game, so it's special because of that--same reason I want Baton Rouge '77 especially (been to an LSU game).

See above about the fate of the Baton Route recording. And I KNOW Freezer gave a few copies out, dammit. And, no, I wasn't one of the lucky few...

On 9/10/2019 at 7:07 PM, June72 said:

Buffalo and Denver '72 are at the top of my list, as both are rumored to have additional '72 versions of The Ocean, and Denver is said to have another Louie Louie.

The thread about the man Jeff returning Jimmy’s guitar case made me read the reviews of the Nassau 1972 shows.  

Made me realize the 6/15/72 Nassau show must have had a long set of encores too similar to Seattle and Denver.  The review says JPJ sat alone and played a medley of songs which included Amazing Grace.  That clearly shows another monster medley similar to Seattle. It also says they did a rock medley containing Peggy Sue.   So add the last hour of 6/15/72 to this list!  😜

Edited by Sticks of Fire

Early club shows from 69ish

Back To The Clubs tour 1971 - we only have the first two shows and the BBC Paris Theatre one, but it was a pretty legendary tour. More shows would be amazing.

Salisbury City Hall 1971 - last show of the year I think, rescheduled from earlier on in the British winter tour. Apparently a very good show, interesting venue and city choice.

Aberystwyth King's Hall 16/01/1973 - this show was played the night after the good Stoke performance, so there's a chance it was pretty decent. Apparently a thank-you show to the local area (Aber is only about 15 miles or so from Bron-Yr-Aur) which had inspired them. Spent a year at uni in Aber recently therefore this show has a personal connection for me. The King's Hall is now demolished (the original plan had been to play the Great Hall at the University) but there's just no recording, film or video of this performance at all - only personal accounts. (For some time a few tracks circulated purporting to be from this show but they have since been proven to be from the Preston date). Fascinating because even back then few big bands played Aber, and the contrast of Zeppelin playing there and at MSG in the same year seems wild to me.

Agree with the shout for the shows of 1975 where WTLB and TWS are apparently in the set but which haven't made it to release.

Definitely agree with the remaining missing shows from the 1977 tour too, Baton Rouge being the obvious one.

On 9/24/2019 at 10:07 AM, EthanG said:

August 14, 1969 would be cool to hear since the Led Zeppelin website says Your Time Is Gonna Come was played in full cause JPJ borrowed the organ from the opening act. Would be cool to know if this is true.

That's a good one. I've read about that concert before but I forgot about this, thanks for mentioning it.

On 9/23/2019 at 10:12 PM, goldenretreiver157 said:

Its a bit late, but im almost certain someone has a recording of buffalo 72’. Hope it one day circulates

sighs...

Is hoarding things fun? It must be if all these likely fantastic shows still haven't seen the light of day.

• 3 months later...
On 9/11/2019 at 10:38 AM, June72 said:

Love all of your picks. As for '77 specifically, one can only assume that a bootlegger might think "ah this tape is shit," and had re-recorded over it or just never bothered to do anything with it. Maybe they don't know there are people out here fiending for these tapes. Maybe they;re hoarding assholes. Who knows? The '77 tapes are still probably the most likely to pop-up.

Trying to find information on a thrift store purchase I got today.  It's a cassette tape labelled "Led Zepplin - Seattle, Wa Aug, 1977 (I)"

As I understand it the show was in July 77.  And this person appears to not know how to spell the name of the band. No idea what the sound quality is and in fact I haven't yet had a chance to listen to it.  Would love more information. Thanks

On 1/9/2020 at 3:41 PM, Kendahlia said:

Trying to find information on a thrift store purchase I got today.  It's a cassette tape labelled "Led Zepplin - Seattle, Wa Aug, 1977 (I)"

As I understand it the show was in July 77.  And this person appears to not know how to spell the name of the band. No idea what the sound quality is and in fact I haven't yet had a chance to listen to it.  Would love more information. Thanks

I want to say early vinyl versions of the Destroyer bootleg (the April 27 '77 Cleveland show) were attributed to "Seattle, August 1977". You found a taped copy of the old bootleg LP's perhaps...

• 2 weeks later...