New jimmy page article

Night_flight3030

Just read the interview which I thought was good with some previews of his upcoming Anthology book.

On the subject of live Zeppelin:

Q: Is there more Led Zeppelin music in the archives?

JP: I am always collating bootlegs and comparing them with what I have. I am meticulous. If it’s already out there, then what’s the point? I want to give fans things they have never heard before.

and on "new music":

Q: You were practising this morning. Are you writing new music?

JP: There will be something next year. But before that, there’s a project that will be announced later this year; it’s not necessarily musical. I’m old school. I don’t announce anything too early.

5 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

and on "new music":

JP: There will be something next year. But before that, there’s a project that will be announced later this year; it’s not necessarily musical. I’m old school. I don’t announce anything too early.

There will be something next year.

Groan.

"Not necessarily musical"? That had me intrigued though. The streaming service maybe. (my guess is Page probably thinks of it as "not being musical" in the sense that a download isn't something you can hold in your hand)...

......or could it be something video?

Or maybe just one of his many teases. Still.....

31 minutes ago, 76229 said:

There will be something next year.

Groan.

"Not necessarily musical"? That had me intrigued though. The streaming service maybe. (my guess is Page probably thinks of it as "not being musical" in the sense that a download isn't something you can hold in your hand)...

......or could it be something video?

Or maybe just one of his many teases. Still.....

It could just be the Anthology book, as the interview was probably held earlier this year. We’ll see. Not getting hopes up. 

R😎

On 9/19/2019 at 5:12 PM, zeplz71 said:

Just read the interview which I thought was good with some previews of his upcoming Anthology book.

On the subject of live Zeppelin:

Q: Is there more Led Zeppelin music in the archives?

JP: I am always collating bootlegs and comparing them with what I have. I am meticulous. If it’s already out there, then what’s the point? I want to give fans things they have never heard before.

That’s a “no” to more live releases then. As I thought 

It sounds like whatever live release that was being planned won't happen this year.  Very sad.  I dont agree with Mr Page that only things that havent been bootlegged are worthy of release for two reasons, first not everyone collects the bootlegs and second any tape that would be in his possession should be of much better quality.

8 hours ago, mrlowry said:

any tape that would be in his possession should be of much better quality.

Exactly this. What a strange and useless position to hold "If it’s already out there, then what’s the point?" is.

I'll tell you the point chuckles, your tapes will be far superior in quality! For example, The LA Forum 1977 run. Now if Mike Millard can give us amongst the best quality AUD recordings of these incredible shows, and you have much better quality tapes that could be engineered into a killer release - it is simply ridiculous to not consider an official release just because the audience source is out there.

Imagine a LA Forum 1977 official box set release with best available re-engineered/mastered tapes.

On 9/19/2019 at 7:32 PM, jsj said:

It’s been about 10 - 15 years of Jimmy claiming there’ll be something “next year”. He’s just a bullshitter 

I wonder if the part about "you were practising this morning" was something he told the journo.

Edit: surely the "project to be announced later this year" can't be the guitar anthology book as it's already been announced?

Edited by 76229

I've always thought it was pretty unfair to blame Jimmy for his musical inactivity, because he's NOT responsible for that fact in the first place.

Jimmy originally wanted to carry on with Robert after the 02 show, as were Jason and John Paul.

It was pretty clear there would have been more LZ shows, but ALSO NEW music along the way, if they didn't broke up just after the one-shot London 2007 gig. 

You can't always blame Jimmy if he wants the best for his music vocally. And the best is Robert Plant. As simple as that. 

As long as Robert will not agree to write new musical compositions with Jimmy,  or as long as Robert will prefer to postpone his future collaboration for some reason, Jimmy Page will set aside his new music (which does already exists) for the right time to be exposed. 

Jimmy is so cautious and wise to not compromise these tenuous chances of future P&P(+) collaboration, he will NEVER drop the bucket on Robert for his forced inactivity. 

I suspect Robert perfectly knows every bit and angle of this arcane human alchemy. And he plays with it, for years and years, now.      

Edited by seaweed gate

2 hours ago, seaweed gate said:

I've always thought it was pretty unfair to blame Jimmy for his musical inactivity, because he's NOT responsible for that fact in the first place.

Jimmy originally wanted to carry on with Robert after the 02 show, as were Jason and John Paul.

It was pretty clear there would have been more LZ shows, but ALSO NEW music along the way, if they didn't broke up just after the one-shot London 2007 gig. 

You can't always blame Jimmy if he wants the best for his music vocally. And the best is Robert Plant. As simple as that. 

As long as Robert will not agree to write new musical compositions with Jimmy,  or as long as Robert will prefer to postpone his future collaboration for some reason, Jimmy Page will set aside his new music (which does already exists) for the right time to be exposed. 

Jimmy is so cautious and wise to not compromise these tenuous chances of future P&P(+) collaboration, he will NEVER drop the bucket on Robert for his forced inactivity. 

I suspect Robert perfectly knows every bit and angle of this arcane human alchemy. And he plays with it, for years and years, now.      

But Jimmy IS responsible for his own life and choices. I have no problem with his choice not to carry on if he feels he doesn't want to work with anyone apart from Robert and John Paul. It's a shame but no one is forcing him into anything one way or the other. 

6 hours ago, seaweed gate said:

No one is blaming Jimmy for his inactivity, not me anyway. I have no problem whether he does or doesn't have a new musical project. But he is responsible for fifteen years or more of promising he will release new music "next year" and not delivering it. Either do it or stop saying it will happen when he knows very well it won't. 

6 hours ago, seaweed gate said:

Jimmy Page will set aside his new music (which does already exists) for the right time to be exposed. 

How do you know it already exists? And when will be the right time to expose it do you think? 

On 9/19/2019 at 2:15 AM, zeplz71 said:

and on "new music":

:hysterical:

but seriously, if Jimmy only wants to work with Robert then he should just say so and leave it at that. His stating, "new music next year" since the early 2000's is simply insincere.

Now on to a live release. I hate to say this but unless Jimmy takes this seriously it is not going to happen, at least in his lifetime. Once Jimmy shuffles off his mortal coil the likelihood of a live release will improve 10 fold. Still no guarantee as Robert and JPJ would have a say. The best hope is if someone Jimmy respects tells him to get off his arse and release some live stuff. Short of that, we are on Jimmy's time and that could be a long wait.

What really makes me wonder is neither Robert nor JPJ have released live albums of their solo work, audio or video. This is puzzling to me as both have put on so many fantastic shows. No official live Plant, no official live Jones, no official live Page & Plant, no official live Coverdale / Page. I simply do not understand why this is. Especially an official live Page & Plant when those shows, especially late 95' - 98' were just amazing.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

Meanwhile Clapton and Jeff Beck (both ex-Yardbirds) performed this weekend in Dallas, Texas at Crossroads Festival. I’m sure if JP wanted to perform, they’d give him a spotlight and an all-star backing band. Another missed opportunity. 

https://www.crossroadsguitarfestival.com/

R😎

Edited by reids

Robert did release the  More Roar Live EP for record stare day 2015. There are  three DVD 's of concerts (SSS or BOJ) or other appearances at least, but whether they are fully official is up for discussion (the David Lynch gig is definitely an official release)

Not much for 35 + years of post LZ work though.

21 hours ago, seaweed gate said:

:hysterical:

19 hours ago, jsj said:

How do you know it already exists? And when will be the right time to expose it do you think? 

Well, we have some clues.

There's the song "Save Me" which is featured on the second Black Country Communion album. If I remember it well, Jason has said this composition has been originally written with Jones and Page during the aborted post-O2 sessions. Hearing the song's strong leaning towards Led Zeppelin's style, it's very plausible.

There's also the Jimmy Page acoustic sequence at the end of It Might Get Loud. Or more accurately, the sequence belongs to the film's bonus scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQCv6jmv-EU

The right time to expose new music is when Robert agrees on singing on it, I guess. 

Edited by seaweed gate

20 hours ago, jsj said:

No one is blaming Jimmy for his inactivity, not me anyway. I have no problem whether he does or doesn't have a new musical project. But he is responsible for fifteen years or more of promising he will release new music "next year" and not delivering it. Either do it or stop saying it will happen when he knows very well it won't. 

I see things this way: Jimmy doesn't know if it will happen or not.

Because he is dependent on Robert's will of recording new music with him to see it happen. So he's only able to hope for Robert's future change of view. That's why he's ever playing for time. 

22 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

What really makes me wonder is neither Robert nor JPJ have released live albums of their solo work, audio or video. This is puzzling to me as both have put on so many fantastic shows. No official live Plant, no official live Jones, no official live Page & Plant, no official live Coverdale / Page. I simply do not understand why this is. Especially an official live Page & Plant when those shows, especially late 95' - 98' were just amazing.

Good point. 

Not completely accurate though:

Universal Japan has released a John Paul Jones live set, Guitar Wars, in 2004. Even if it's a short set and the bill is a collective one, the show is amazing.

tp62.jpg 

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Steve-Hackett-John-Paul-Jones-Paul-Gilbert-Nuno-Bettencourt-With-Roger-King-Pat-Mastelotto-Mike-Szut/release/7081323

There's also the Page & Plant DVD from Paris Amnesty show in 1998 which has been officially released. Short set, but superb playing.

e467.jpg

Edited by seaweed gate

On 9/21/2019 at 10:31 AM, seaweed gate said:

Well Jimmy could release something instrumental like John Paul Jones. You don't need vocals over music. Personally I prefer instrumentals. In fact I'm sure JPJ and Jason would work with Jimmy on something with a name other than Led Zeppelin on instrumental music. John Paul Jones certainly would have in the past.

Jimmy could also (if he really wanted to) release an album of acoustic instrumentals like Bert Jansch or Roy Harper.

He could also not say there's going to be new music next year, year after year. It's more so that which gets to people.