Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Night_flight3030

New jimmy page article

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, jsj said:

How do you know it already exists? And when will be the right time to expose it do you think? 

When everyone is dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a quick look through the article while in the shop today. Does he say he will write an autobiography? I didn't have my gasses on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I simply do not understand why this is. Especially an official live Page & Plant when those shows, especially late 95' - 98' were just amazing.

The Page/Plant era is bootlegged beyond belief. Besides that, there's no way another official release could occur without BOTH of them promoting it -- that ain't never gonna happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, seaweed gate said:

The right time to expose new music is when Robert agrees on singing on it, I guess. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nemophilist said:

Jimmy could also (if he really wanted to) release an album of acoustic instrumentals like Bert Jansch or Roy Harper.

An acoustic collaboration with someone like Laura Marling would be interesting too. Key phrase is "if he really wanted to" and if we're honest with ourselves, he doesn't.

Incidentally, laura did a terrific cover of Bron Yr Aur, which ended up on a CD, released free with one of our music mags last year

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 76229 said:

An acoustic collaboration with someone like Laura Marling would be interesting too. Key phrase is "if he really wanted to" and if we're honest with ourselves, he doesn't.

No, but here we see Jimmy Page did record this. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

 

Ah ah ah!

:hidinginwall:

Unrealistic.  

Robert Plant doesn't drive Japanese cars, and openworks of his shirt were on the front, not on the back. :P

 

Edited by seaweed gate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jsj said:

I had a quick look through the article while in the shop today. Does he say he will write an autobiography? I didn't have my gasses on

"I will definitely do an autobiography.  Every six months brings new things for me to write about or comment about.  I have a number of ways I plan to approach it.  But I'm determined that I'll write it first and then go to a publisher, because I don't want to be held to a deadline".

I'll offer odds of ten to one against this ever happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it will be good news if he does write an autobiography

I predict it will be released "next year" !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 4:00 PM, PeaceFrogYum said:

but seriously, if Jimmy only wants to work with Robert then he should just say so and leave it at that. His stating, "new music next year" since the early 2000's is simply insincere.

+1

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok.

Who is the most insincere, then, would you tell me?

Jimmy Page, when desperately seeking to keep up appearances facing Robert's wild defection, or Robert Plant when he talks about Led Zeppelin becoming a cabaret thing?

Was ever the O2 show looking like a cabaret thing, for God's sake! 

Open your eyes, Nicholas.  

Edited by seaweed gate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reading this Uncut interview and the sitar story seems to have changed. I'm sure originally he said he was in his session career circa '64, when he bought a sitar off some Indian musicians who were playing in the studio next door, or something? And that that was the first time he'd owned one. Now the story is that the place where his old man worked had some Asian workers and one of them knew someone who had a sitar, which he bought off them. Plus this took place in 1961. There's a pic of him playing it in the back garden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 76229 said:

Just reading this Uncut interview and the sitar story seems to have changed. I'm sure originally he said he was in his session career circa '64, when he bought a sitar off some Indian musicians who were playing in the studio next door, or something? And that that was the first time he'd owned one. Now the story is that the place where his old man worked had some Asian workers and one of them knew someone who had a sitar, which he bought off them. Plus this took place in 1961. There's a pic of him playing it in the back garden.

Old age is a bitch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, seaweed gate said:

Ok.

Who is the most insincere, then, would you tell me?

Jimmy Page, when desperately seeking to keep up appearances facing Robert's wild defection, or Robert Plant when he talks about Led Zeppelin becoming a cabaret thing?

Was ever the O2 show looking like a cabaret thing, for God's sake! 

Open your eyes, Nicholas.  

Regarding Robert, two things: He wants to be in 100% control, just like at the O2; second, he wants to play Zep tunes the way HE wants to play Zep tunes. Robert is hell bent on not being viewed as a money grabbing touring jukebox. He is embarrassed by his early Zep wailing and preening and wants to be remembered not as the Viking warrior singing about Tolkien but as a "serious" musician. That is the issue with Robert. That and I don't think he trusts Jimmy to remain sober on the road. Robert runs a tight ship on the road and the last thing he wants is an "incident" this late in the game to seal his reputational fate so to speak.

Jimmy needs to realize the old girlfriend has left him for good and he needs to move on. You cannot re-create what happened in the 70's, however he can write a new chapter but that decision is up to Jimmy.

Whatever either do I wish them the best. We got the O2 which no one ever thought would happen. We got lucky with that and we should be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe they asked him about Lori Maddox, I was wincing when I read that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 10:34 PM, 76229 said:

Just reading this Uncut interview and the sitar story seems to have changed. I'm sure originally he said he was in his session career circa '64, when he bought a sitar off some Indian musicians who were playing in the studio next door, or something? And that that was the first time he'd owned one. Now the story is that the place where his old man worked had some Asian workers and one of them knew someone who had a sitar, which he bought off them. Plus this took place in 1961. There's a pic of him playing it in the back garden.

Haven't seen the interview yet, but as I recall on one occasion he did say there was an Indian who worked with his father who visited their home on Miles Road in Epsom to show him a few things on a sitar.

There is also this:

      Lets put this way; I had a sitar before George Harrison, I wouldn't say
      I played it as well as he did, though. I think George used it well.
      "Within You and Without" is extremely tasteful. He spent a lot of time
      studying with Ravi Shankar, and it showed.

      I actually went to see a Ravi Shankar concert one time, and to show you
      how far back this was, there were no young people in the audience at all
      -- just a lot of older people from the Indian embassy. This girl I knew
      was a friend of his and she took me to see him after the concert, she
      introduced him to me and I explained that I had a sitar, but did not
      know how to tune it. He was very nice to me and wrote down the tunings
      on a piece of paper. -- Jimmy Page

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2019 at 12:15 AM, PeaceFrogYum said:

I don't think he trusts Jimmy to remain sober on the road. 

I don't think sobriety is the issue here at all. Many wildly successful older musicians that have nothing left to prove seek only to be at peace with themselves, and wealth allows them to do only that which they choose to do. It can make for stunningly staid or uncontemporary musical directions, albums, and tours but their motivation to do any of it is primarily to please themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I don't think sobriety is the issue here at all. Many wildly successful older musicians that have nothing left to prove seek only to be at peace with themselves, and wealth allows them to do only that which they choose to do. It can make for stunningly staid or uncontemporary musical directions, albums, and tours but their motivation to do any of it is primarily to please themselves. 

Agreed. Priorities change with maturity. 

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...