https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54AVNQK2vYo&t=2s&fbclid=IwAR06ldko6TNItIIpS2603c91CWRXL8Lp4-VGdTfUn5rmM1vZ73hxhL3HPHM

Any hardcore Led Zeppelin fan knows a bit about the story of Mike (the Mike) Millard and the famous LA Forum recordings of Led Zeppelin (among many others). But very few people really know much about the real Millard and much has been made of his "eccentricities". But at the end of the day, Mike the Mike is a legend and this trailer for an upcoming short documentary not only reveals a bit about the person but also delves into how he was able to get such incredible sound using 70's recording equipment.  Current technology used by today's tapers still can't quite capture the quality that Millard was able to capture.  Equipment similar to Mike the Mike's was used to record a show at the Greek Theater in Berkeley by The National.  Even Matt Berninger of The National is blow away by the sound achieved calling it "Juicy Sonic Magic" .  It's an amazing project and a great look at the man, the myth, and the legend (and legendary way he taped shows). The film also features the only know available photo of Mike Millard.  I'll forever be linked to Mike the Mike by my own recording made the same night as the famous Listen to This Eddie Led Zeppelin show at the Forum in 1977.  It's really cool to see how he did it and learn a bit more about him.  Please check out this trailer and look for the full release. It's really cool!

Edited by gbauer10

Wish we knew exactly the mics and how he configured the mics and capsules.   That the most important part.   The NAK was important because us was above cheaper gear but the mic capsules are the reason for the type of sound. 

His LA ‘75 tapes sound quite different than his ‘77 tapes.  His Long Beach 3/11/75 sounds more like the LA ‘77 recordings.   I wish we knew.  

I wish there was more to his story too; like someone from his family coming forward.

On 9/27/2019 at 9:55 AM, badgeholder said:

He certainly didn't have his microphones up on a big tree in front of everybody, like these guys are doing. I mean, if you want to do it why not DO IT RIGHT? 

I chalk that up to practicality on the part of the documentarians as, in my opinion, Millard is used as a running theme as opposed to the actual focus. Some of Millard's actual techniques are alluded to in the animated segment.

Is this really what it has come to? A documentary about a guy who taped concerts? Would be great if we had a documentary about the band he taped? Oh we do or don't we?

Every Friday evening on BBC4 there is a documentary or a story of groups or artists. Every genre is covered from say Cilla Black to Motorhead from Acker Bilk to Nirvana. Never, ever has there been one about Led Zeppelin. Can't get my head round it. A highly regarded and influential band like that has never been covered. Strange eh?

46 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Is this really what it has come to? A documentary about a guy who taped concerts? Would be great if we had a documentary about the band he taped? Oh we do or don't we?

Every Friday evening on BBC4 there is a documentary or a story of groups or artists. Every genre is covered from say Cilla Black to Motorhead from Acker Bilk to Nirvana. Never, ever has there been one about Led Zeppelin. Can't get my head round it. A highly regarded and influential band like that has never been covered. Strange eh?

You must mean a UK doc as there have been several US ones. There is the excellent Peter Grant documentary, Mr. Rock & Roll, produced by the BBC which aired 9/25/99. Easily on of my Top 5 favorites of all time!

That's a great tribute documentary. It would have been nice to acknowledge his error of indulgence with the band and how that helped unravel things - but by no means does that detract from the great job the producers of this work did. A great piece about a great larger than life character, and just a tough, no nonsense bloke doing the best he can for his band.

Thanks for the post Steve.

On 9/29/2019 at 3:42 AM, SteveAJones said:

I prefer he remain a little shrouded in mystery, because that fuels imagination. To learn he was an only child who ultimately killed himself...too tragic.  

Mike was not an only child. He had a brother and a sister. The Internet version of Mike's life gets a lot of things wrong. He wasn't a janitor. He didn't die in 1990 (he died in 1994). He was not an only child. The AKG mics were in his hat, the power packs in his boots, the deck in a bag under the seat. And I do believe that's the first photo of him ever seen. 

20 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Yes I have seen this before and it views like the book "The man who Led Zeppelin" . I never thought about it at the time but it sure was gracious of Page and Plant to add a little to the story. Do you know why, or suppose why, they didn't?

Unfortunately, at the time the BBC was preparing that documentary (Late Summer 1999) things were at an all time low between Page & Plant. Robert of course having left Page/Plant in the Spring. Additionally, each seems to have conflicted emotions about Peter post 1980. Hell, it was Bill Curbishley who cajoled them into inviting Peter to the last gig on the 1995 UK tour. Neither Page nor Plant stayed long at the funeral reception a few months later. I'm not judging, I'm just saying. 

12 hours ago, LA Drone said:

Mike was not an only child. He had a brother and a sister. The Internet version of Mike's life gets a lot of things wrong. He wasn't a janitor. He didn't die in 1990 (he died in 1994). He was not an only child. The AKG mics were in his hat, the power packs in his boots, the deck in a bag under the seat. And I do believe that's the first photo of him ever seen. 

Can you substantiate any of that which you claim in your post? It would help to affirm it is correct. I vaguely recall some of his "friends" sharing some insights in a few online posts elsewhere but that was years ago.

Edited by SteveAJones

8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Unfortunately, at the time the BBC was preparing that documentary (Late Summer 1999) things were at an all time low between Page & Plant. Robert of course having left Page/Plant in the Spring. Additionally, each seems to have conflicted emotions about Peter post 1980. Hell, it was Bill Curbishley who cajoled them into inviting Peter to the last gig on the 1995 UK tour. Neither Page nor Plant stayed long at the funeral reception a few months later. I'm not judging, I'm just saying. 

Could I hear some more context on the "all time low" in their relationship? Not trying to hop on you or anything, but I'm very curious considering the quality of their most recent tour. Also, what's the cause of these conflicted feelings on Grant? If you could direct me to any sources that delve more into either of those things it'd be much appreciated.

3 hours ago, June72 said:

Could I hear some more context on the "all time low" in their relationship? Not trying to hop on you or anything, but I'm very curious considering the quality of their most recent tour. Also, what's the cause of these conflicted feelings on Grant? If you could direct me to any sources that delve more into either of those things it'd be much appreciated.

Seconded. Really interested in this Steve

6 hours ago, June72 said:

2 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Seconded. Really interested in this Steve

There's a misunderstanding here. I said was things were at an all-time low between Page/Plant in Summer 1999, not during Peter's memorial in Nov '95.

Their conflicted feelings about Peter Grant are theirs to explain further or not. I wasn't thinking of this event when I brought it up, but it does allude to what I'm suggesting. Back in the '70s Peter was considered their "fifth member", but on this night he is merely mentioned for a moment by JPJ. After which, Robert goes right back to the podium to praise Page/Plant's manager Bill Curbishley instead. It was already awkward onstage and that didn't help.

Edited by SteveAJones

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

There's a misunderstanding here. I said was things were at an all-time low between Page/Plant in Summer 1999, not during Peter's memorial in Nov '95

I don't believe I implied the two things were related, I understand that Summer 1999 was the all time low and the conflicted feelings on Grant are separate. That being said, do you have anything to support the Summer of 99 as an all time low?

On 10/2/2019 at 2:46 AM, SteveAJones said:

Can you substantiate any of that which you claim in your post? It would help to affirm it is correct. I vaguely recall some of his "friends" sharing some insights in a few online posts elsewhere but that was years ago.

New Mike tapes have been popping up on DIME (not LZ but other artists) in the last couple of months. One of his friends has been contributing to the process and made a couple of these points (not a janitor and his death year) in the posts. The family detail I know privately. It does seem this doc is going to include new information, considering the trailer contains the first confirmed photo of him. They had to get that somewhere.

On 10/1/2019 at 2:18 PM, LA Drone said:

The AKG mics were in his hat, the power packs in his boots,

I remain extremely skeptical of this claim. This was the 70's, not the 90's. I believe someone who wasn't around in the 70's is saying this. Because there were no little mics of good quality you could hide in your hat back then, there were no battery packs, and you would hear on the tapes every time he moved his head (which you never hear). No, I'm thinking quality mics likely concealed in the handles of his wheelchair, plugged directly into the recorder. IMO. Would love some kind of definitive proof one way or the other