2 hours ago, badgeholder said:

I remain extremely skeptical of this claim. This was the 70's, not the 90's. I believe someone who wasn't around in the 70's is saying this. Because there were no little mics of good quality you could hide in your hat back then, there were no battery packs, and you would hear on the tapes every time he moved his head (which you never hear). No, I'm thinking quality mics likely concealed in the handles of his wheelchair, plugged directly into the recorder. IMO. Would love some kind of definitive proof one way or the other

The AKG 451s needed a 48v power supply.  So yes he did need power supplies for his mics.  

I have wondered if he had different capsules that he used.  The 451s could be bought in sets with the Cardioid, Hyper-cardioid and Omni patterns.  These are the things I’d like to know the most of all.   How are his mics configured.   The body of the 451s also have a high pass filer.   So I wonder if he experimented with this setting as well.   Yes the deck was important but the entire mic set up was the most important factor.

Edited by Sticks of Fire

On 10/3/2019 at 11:37 AM, badgeholder said:

I remain extremely skeptical of this claim. This was the 70's, not the 90's. I believe someone who wasn't around in the 70's is saying this. Because there were no little mics of good quality you could hide in your hat back then, there were no battery packs, and you would hear on the tapes every time he moved his head (which you never hear). No, I'm thinking quality mics likely concealed in the handles of his wheelchair, plugged directly into the recorder. IMO. Would love some kind of definitive proof one way or the other

Of course there were battery packs. 

https://reverb.com/item/25469807-akg-b46e-1970s-silver?gclid=Cj0KCQjwoebsBRCHARIsAC3JP0I8jKlHIn7gVAMk3FfwnP-jSrB_i8aHd0pkrwVqXkJ9L1v3-8_UnOoaAq-ZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&merchant_id=129291271&pla=1&utm_campaign=6445914856&utm_medium=pla&utm_source=google

The detail comes directly from Jim R, who pushed Mike into many of the shows in the wheelchair. He had the mics in his hat so he wouldn't be obstructed if the crowd was stood up which it often did. Low in a wheelchair as you describe would be blocked. He was using full size mics, very likely with right angle XLR connectors so the cable went down (his neck) not back then down.

He was meticulous about staying still and steady, but I have heard movement on his tapes many times.

On 10/4/2019 at 2:08 PM, Sticks of Fire said:

The one story I dont believe about Mike was that he destroyed all his masters.  I think that was just made up to keep folks from asking about getting copies from his family. 

You're right. He did not destroy his tapes. 

• 1 month later...

Funny, I have a good friend who’s name is Mike and he started taping back in the late 1970s and early 1980s and he too used AKG 451s as well.  

He always said his best tape was the Dead at the Greek Theater in 1981 or 1984.  Same venue where the band was playing in this documentary.

Edited by Sticks of Fire