Page/the producer.

Jimmy has always been pretty evasive and vague about his recording and production techniques.   I’ve analyzed lots of stuff and feel like I understand his approach, but there’s lots of blank spaces where he has never revealed his techniques publicly 

Edited by bluecongo

12 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

I have this issue of Sound on Sound from when Celebration Day came out, I'm quite sure it goes in depth about Page producing, will post later.

6e781e4715d1a3b788d73ffc9d279d82.jpg

Ok, if that's the January 2013 issue I don't have it yet BUT according to notes it contains an interview with Alan Moulder (who discusses the 02 Arena recordings) not Jimmy Page.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2019 at 12:07 PM, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

I have this issue of Sound on Sound from when Celebration Day came out, I'm quite sure it goes in depth about Page producing, will post later.

6e781e4715d1a3b788d73ffc9d279d82.jpg

That't what I mean. Sound On Sound...wow...going to get that issue.

- Thank you very much!

9 hours ago, woz70 said:

It’s an interesting article, but you’re going to be disappointed if you think it’ll give you any Page production “secrets”..

No need to dig out a copy of the magazine. The whole thing is here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/inside-track-mixing-led-zeppelin-reunion

Thanks because I can't find it for the life of me anyway

• 2 weeks later...

I think Page doesn't really talk about production matters for various reasons.One is that very quickly you are heading into

terms and lingo obscure to most of the public. Another is according to my understanding, Page usually worked with someone else, like Eddie Kramer for example, and it might get very complicated as far as Page trying to pinpoint exactly

who  was doing what at what time. Then apart from Jimmy always mentioning using recording techniques like ambient

miking, He has sometimes in the past said that he has some recording/ production techniques which he discovered and 

does not feel these "secrets" need be divulged. This stuff is interesting, some have said Page by himself could not do all the recording/mixing//producing stuff from beginning to end, this muddies the waters a bit.

Yes, Page had learned recording "techniques" that he utilized for Zeppelin but, that has nothing to do with "PRODUCING". That is something entirely different than mic placement or what kind of effect/compression/eq/ or recording secrets of any kind. Producing is about coaxing the best performance out of the band/singer possible, and then knowing when that has been achieved. Its also about song selection and placement. Its also about...the budget! Time is money.

'Jim Dickinson': "Producing is being able to place an idea in the artists mind that hadn't been there before, or one that they had been subconsciously resisting". 

Edited by blindwillie127

Well that is certainly part of the function of a producer. But actually depending on the artist and what the producer is "known" to do, there is tremendous variation. Jimmy was quite assertive in the studio, and even though he may have utilized Eddie Kramer or Glyn Johns on an album, you re not talking about many top 40 "commercial" artists where the 

record company literally insists on using a certain producer. Also, quite a few Hip/Hop and Rap producers in fact are well

known for their prowess with certain pieces of music technology. All I'm saying really is that a producer can have many functions. As far as Zep goes, yes their producer or so on was certainly used to capture a certain sound or vision, but Zep had the ultimate say over the final mix, blah, blah. Nobody was going to tell Jimmy Page that a certain song on one of their

albums would be a terrible mistake, unlike a dictated producer chosen by the record company, different situations.

On 11/17/2019 at 7:55 AM, Mithril46 said:

I think Page doesn't really talk about production matters for various reasons.One is that very quickly you are heading into

terms and lingo obscure to most of the public. Another is according to my understanding, Page usually worked with someone else, like Eddie Kramer for example, and it might get very complicated as far as Page trying to pinpoint exactly

who  was doing what at what time. Then apart from Jimmy always mentioning using recording techniques like ambient

miking, He has sometimes in the past said that he has some recording/ production techniques which he discovered and 

does not feel these "secrets" need be divulged. This stuff is interesting, some have said Page by himself could not do all the recording/mixing//producing stuff from beginning to end, this muddies the waters a bit.

Who cares about most of the public? There are any number of sound production magazines geared toward the music gear heads and aficionados that regularly feature detailed in-depth interviews with producers, engineers, recording technicians, etc.

What's Jimmy's hold-up? Preserving the mystique? Give me a break. At this point, with the band long since defunct, preserving the mystique comes across as a cop-out.

A reasonable concern might be just how much Jimmy actually remembers from all those sessions long ago? Maybe his recall isn't what it used to be?

Whatever the reason it is just another hole in the Led Zeppelin historical record that other historic bands don't have to suffer. There is no shortage of books and interviews detailing the production of the albums by the Beatles, Stones, and Pink Floyd.

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting points. As opposed to the bands you mentioned, in Zep Jimmy was really the boss of the board. Perhaps

other band members had some say or suggestions, but the buck stopped with Jimmy in the studio, practically from the start to the final mix down of ITTOD. I think this helped the band immensely, because except for a few tracks on Zep l, the 

band really never had a dated sound. Go back to the 70's, a lot of no.1 hits even , they sound dated. Jimmy made sure the production would sound as transparent as possible. Or if he wanted a dense production, it would sound unlike anything you've ever heard. Kashmir, with all the keys and Arabic instrumentation, was not like anything heard before, certainly not 

"Rock".