Anthony Fantano's LZ Tier List

blindwillie127

I hate these lists. They always boggle my mind. It's all subjective so all discussions with this seem pointless. Obviously everyone has the right to share their opinions, but I've never seen a tier list for Zeppelin that didn't make me cringe.

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

If you were to rank these objectively and not subjectively, what would the list look like?

S- IV

A- II, HOTH

B- I, III, PG

C- Presence, ITTOD, Coda

With that distinction in mind, this is something I actually enjoy discussing.

S - I, III, IV, HOTH

A - II

B - PG, ITTOD

C - Presence

D - Coda

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

If you were to rank these objectively and not subjectively, what would the list look like?

S- IV

A- II, HOTH

B- I, III, PG

C- Presence, ITTOD, Coda

I'm not sure how we would even determine a truly objective ranking, but your list does hew somewhat close to the ranking of the albums by sales figures:

IV

II

Houses

I and PG (tied)

III and ITTOD (tied)

Presence

Coda

I'd change Coda to a D. I couldn't honestly put it on the same tier as ITTOD and Presence.

It's surprising that III is tied with ITTOD considering the reemerging popularity of Immigrant Song the last couple years. But the market today obviously operates differently.

I found anthonys list to make a lot of sense and i definitely agree with his top tier, but my list would be,

S, physical graffiti, led zeppelin 4

A,  presence, in through the out door, houses of the holy

B,  led zep 1, led zep 2, led zep 3, the new coda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
16 minutes ago, JTM said:

I'll play.

A/HOTH.

B/II.

C/I.

D/III.

E/The Fourth Album.

F/PG.

G/Presence.

H/Coda.

I/ ITTOD.

that is a very interesting ranking. Noticed you're not a big fan of PG and IV, not really your style? 

53 minutes ago, LqF said:

that is a very interesting ranking. Noticed you're not a big fan of PG and IV, not really your style? 

PG is alright, but it took a while to sink in. I'd already played the first five to death when PG came out. As for the fourth album. I rank it as my fifth favourite because it is my fifth favourite, nothing to do with style. Maybe it's an age thing, younger folk who came into Zeppelin later rank PG higher because they heard it first. HOTH is special to me because I bought it the week it was released, I wasn't that into them when the fourth album came out, though I had heard first three albums via friends.

Edited by JTM

• 1 month later...

I believe any album with the song  IN THE EVENING on it aught to be closer to any1s top few. ITTOD is  progressive Zep holdin their own ! 

AHEAD OF THEIR TIME!

& THINK ABOUT IT were talkin songs composed in what 78' ? ish? 

(I had another 2cents i suppose)