Question about multi-tracked Zeppelin shows

June72

I've only been around forums like this for about a year, and I've only been a Zeppelin fan for about 2 so I'm not the most knowledgeable on stuff like this. Sorry if this is common knowledge or whatever.

My question is pretty simple: Is there any possibility there are more multi track recordings of the group than we know? For instance, how long did we know about the NA '72 multi-tracks or the Southampton '73 multi-track before they saw some type of release? Was the Zeppelin fanbase in shock when Page announced they'd be using these shows, or was it expected these shows would eventually be heard in this quality?

I believe I saw a list on this site once of all multi-tracked shows that went something like this:

10/17/69 - Carnegie Hall (Although from what I've read since it seems as if there's nothing here)

1/9/70 - Royal Albert Hall: Partially  released on the Led Zeppelin DVD

9/23/71 - Tokyo

9/24/71 - Tokyo

9/28/71 - Osaka

9/29/71 - Osaka

6/25/72 - L.A. Forum: Released on How the West Was Won

6/27/72 - Long Beach: Released on How the West Was Won

1/23/73 - Southampton: Leaked and widely available

7/23/73 - Baltimore: I've read in a few places that this one (and the following night) was rumored to have been multi-tracked. 

7/24/73 - Pittsburgh

7/27/73 - Madison Square Garden: Released on The Song remains the Same soundtrack

7/28/73 - Madison Square Garden: Released on The Song remains the Same soundtrack

7/29/73 - Madison Square Garden: Released on The Song remains the Same soundtrack

5/17/75 - Earl's Court: This and the following night people seem tentative on whether they were recorded or not. Do we have a definitive answer on this?

5/18/75 - Earl's Court

5/23/75 - Earl's Court: Partially released on the Led Zeppelin DVD (I think? I believe I've heard people hesitant on whether we've seen film from this show or not. I'm not exactly huge on the EC shows so I've never looked into it)

5/24/75 - Earl's Court: Partially released on the Led Zeppelin DVD

5/25/75 - Earl's Court: Partially released on the Led Zeppelin DVD

8/4/79 - Knebworth Festival: Partially released on the Led Zeppelin DVD

8/11/79 - Knebworth Festival: Partially released on the Led Zeppelin DVD

Have any of these gigs I listed more tentatively been proven true or false that they were multi-tracked? And how long did it take the fanbase to glean the info on these performances to determine this? Again, I'm asking this simply because I wonder if it's possible that there are multi-tracked performances we have no clue about.

Carnegie was confirmed somewhere not to be recorded and I believe photo evidence backs that up. Baltimore nor Pittsburgh were multitracked, but there is some test pro footage shot for Pittsburgh out there.

All 5 of the Earls Court shows were recorded I believe but we only have tangible evidence for the last 3 nights. Supposedly the bass drum mic wasn't working on the 23rd.

You can probably take out all of the Japan shows except for the Osaka shows and add in 6/28/1970 Bath.

The only confirmed shows are RAH, Long Beach/LA 73, Southhampton, the MSG run, the last 3 nights at Earls Court, and Knebworth.

Edited by ledzepfilm

19 minutes ago, ledzepfilm said:

You can probably take out all of the Japan shows except for the Osaka shows and add in 6/28/1970 Bath.

Why do you say the Tokyo shows weren't mt'd? And Bath was? I've only ever heard that there was a soundboard for Bath. Sorry if this sounds confrontational, that's not my intent.

56 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Page mentioned in an interview in the mid seventies that he had some 72 shows professionally recorded. He sat on those for thirty years. 

Do you know how long it took for us to figure out which shows they were? 

3 minutes ago, June72 said:

Do you know how long it took for us to figure out which shows they were? 

I believe there was a magazine article way back in 1972 that mentioned that two Los Angeles area shows were recorded but no one in the modern era really knew about it.     When “How the West was Won” was getting mixed and released there were reports of LA 1970 coming out.   It was Plant who mentioned LA 1970 I believe.    But it turned out to be the 2, 1972 Cali shows. 

Even when the Long Beach 1972 multitrack songs surfaced I don’t think anyone really knew about the two shows being completely multitracked. It was really a big surprise to learn they were both multi tracked 

12 hours ago, The Rover said:

I'd like to know if anyone knows if Zeppelin had planned to multi-track any of the cancelled '75 or '77 shows.

Were any future '75 dates ever officially planned? Or were they just ideas the band had before Percy's car crash?

I once read that Jimmy simply couldn't locate any equipment to multi-track any '77 shows. That's a huge bummer if true, imagine if they had multi-tracked the New York or LA runs... Could create one of the best official live releases ever. Alas, another in the series of missed recording opportunities for Zeppelin (Carnegie Hall, Bath, literally ANY Copenhagen show.... the list goes on).

Also I'd extend this to '80 as well. By all accounts the band seemed to be in high spirits going into preparation for the tour, I can see Jimmy having wanted to multi-track a few shows.