All of Zeppelin sign guitar to be auctioned to help stroke survivor Jerry Donahue

10 hours ago, Klape said:

That's nice, there's no way this is going to sell beetween £10,000 and £20,000, at least £100,000 I'd say

£25,000 tops. It's a unique item...but it's also a hodgepodge and those normally turn collector's off. This is like having various baseball stars of the 1960s sign a baseball. Ok, fine BUT a ball signed by ONLY say the top three stars (Mantle, Mays & Aaron) would sell for same amount or more. Collector's like themes...the (fill in the blank year and team), the top five guitarists, ten living players who hit 500 or more Home Runs, and so on. In this instance, if it were signed ONLY by Page, Plant and Jones it would probably go for at least half or more of what it will go for.

Additionally, just to belabor my point, there have been (pseudo?) scientific experiments conducted on value perception. The easiest way to explain this is they found that if you tipped a waitress $7.00 her gratitude (as measured in a post-transaction scientific questionnaire) is essentially the same as if you tipped her $5.00. You don't see a noticeable spike in gratitude on a $5.00 tip unless you double it to $10.00. It's something about how our brains are hard-wired from when we were hunters and gatherers. The way this plays out as collectors is I'm willing to met you that they could erase ten to fifteen of those signatures from the guitar and it would make no noticeable difference in what it ultimately sells for.

Hey, I could be completely full of shit but I get people to think...I think.   

• 2 weeks later...

Archivist, I agree with your ideas of value perception and the overall point of your reply, but let's not forget to consider the type of person who will pony up to buy this. A person to whom perceived value is no concern, in fact, amazingly they likely feel that paying more is a mark of status in society. 

I envision a person who is in the 1%; a someone who comparatively makes Jimmy Page appear to have average wealth.  This person has a yacht with a security team on board (to fend off pirates in the Indian Ocean) and they own a $38 million dollar mansion on Cape Cod, Ma. USA, with a personal staff of 10, that they sail to to stay for only one week a year, but it sits empty the rest of the time.  They have gigantic empty homes like this around the world along with a personal museums full of cars that they never drive.

They have rooms full of items such as this they purchase on a whim, including a room much like the secret government warehouse from the Indiana Jones movies.  This is where this amazing guitar will end up along with many other fantastic items that should be in a museum so that the fans who live in the real world can enjoy it. 

A sad state of affairs and I know I am just being drunk and Vonnegut-ly pessimistic as I write this up.  Maybe someone will buy the guitar and donate it to a museum or art gallery...At least no matter what the proceeds from this will go to this great cause!

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't buy that guitar. If I had at least £25,000, I would spend them on completing my collection of numbered super deluxe boxes, and other music.

I would also travel the world to attend concerts that don't happen in Argentina, or rarely happen. Especially Japan, I love their culture, and I think they have many albums and bootlegs hard to get.

It's not that I don't value the guitar, but I like to have items signed face to face.