Top Performances of 1977? (EXCLUDING NY & LA)

Spesh531

Other than the 6 shows from NY and the 6 shows from LA, what dates are considered "peak performance" on this tour?

I've been meaning to listen to more of 1977, other than NY and LA (and also excluding Landover, which I attempted to combine into a single better show).

There are A LOT of shows on this tour, so I'm curious.

My question is only based on the performance of the band, not the sound quality (I can listen to rough audience recordings).

I think for me my overall favorite show of 77 is the 4/28/77 show a lot of other people also rave about it being one of the best shows from the tour.

Some other shows worth checking out are 06/03/77 even though it got rained out after three songs and if you can stomach the recording definitely the show from Pontiac 4/30/77 which has my favorite Kashmir with Robert going as high as he did back in 71 with the scream he does.

On 12/6/2019 at 6:36 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

I don't like '77 but I agree with this, what can be discerned sounds rather fluid.  Ghastly recording, however.

Atlanta's probably the worst sounding circulating '77 show, which is a shame because beneath all that distortion lurks a damn good performance (I think I made it through the entire fucking recording twice in all these years😆). Even the Chicago tapes sound better...the guy in Atlanta put his tape deck on the floor under his seat. Oops. The sound improves when he picks it up to check the tape...compare the Zeppelin Atlanta recording to the Pink Floyd recording made three days later. Too bad the Floyd tapers didn't tape Zeppelin as well (or if they did those tapes haven't appeared.)

Anyway, April 28 in Cleveland STILL gets my vote as the top performance of the tour. I'll also give a shout out to Birmingham, Fort Worth and the April 10 Chicago show as good non-coastal gigs. 

On 12/6/2019 at 3:52 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

I listened to 4/28 again recently and seems like it didn't impress me as much this time. I noticed some flubs I didn't before. Still a solid show.

Strange, I just listened to this show again just a week ago and was completely amazed by the performance, show was excellent, not just for 77' but for any touring year IMO. Now the 27th...no bueno.

3 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Strange, I just listened to this show again just a week ago and was completely amazed by the performance, show was excellent, not just for 77' but for any touring year IMO. Now the 27th...no bueno.

I agree this show is definitely one of my favorites from the latter years just listen to Achilles and you'll think it's Jimmy from 73 playing it.

To me this show is up there with 7/24/79 Copenhagen.

10 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

My guess is Jimmy partied a little too hard on the off day, April 26, and was still a little out of it on the 27th. The difference between the first and second Cleveland '77 shows is night and day. Is the April 28 show 100% perfection? Nope, but it's about as close as Zeppelin got in '77.

On 12/6/2019 at 5:52 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

I listened to 4/28 again recently and seems like it didn't impress me as much this time. I noticed some flubs I didn't before. Still a solid show.

I will say that's the best Kashmir ever. I don't think any of the NY or LA versions stand up to it.

13 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I will say that's the best Kashmir ever. I don't think any of the NY or LA versions stand up to it.

I dunno, LTTE Kashmir has the title for mine. Bonzo was possibly better on the 28th, but it is so hard to judge given the obvious audio differences. I think Pagey nails the outrro on the 21st better than any other performance. Again, the recording could be giving it quite a substantial rating "bonus". If only a slew of soundboards would drop....

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 7:45 PM, ZepHead315 said:

Off the top of my head:

Cleveland 4/28

Pontiac 4/30

Birmingham 5/18

Fort Worth 5/22

These are all pretty solid shows. And the recordings really aren't that bad if you have "bootleg ears".

I was at the Dallas, Houston & Ft. Worth shows.

The Ft. Worth show was the best of the three, particularly Kashmir.

The highlight in Houston was TSRTS and Ten Years Gone.

Dallas, the first date of the tour was like a rehearsal. A unmemorable show, for a Led Zeppelin concert.