1975 Stairway Solos are Jimmys best ...because ...

Blaize86

I have always been a huge fan of the Montreal 1975 show. The STH solo is simply astounding and when it hits its peak , it’s Bonzo who just plays off Jimmy that sends chills through my body every time I hear it. I have also come across an  HD version of STH Earls Court , solo only, with video and with incredible audience sound. It really gives the band the due they deserve.  To hear Bonzo’s drums sounding so powerful and clear with awesome tone against Jimmy’s solo is something that old timers like me will never ever see again with the future of rock n roll.  I love Jimmy’s tone in 1975 on STH,  especially the solo. I feel the difference from 1973 lies with the solo going into areas of more melody and with John’s added tom tom work and off beat ( he’s playing with Jimmy) playing, it’s just incredible. Jimmy’s face buried in his long hair just adds to the mystic. 
Do me a favor. Get on You Tube and get the Montreal snow in 1975 ... go to 2:18 ( hrs)....just freakin blast it. Just when you think he’s gonna pack in the solo, he pushes it even more with  melodic note bending creating an  emotional solo that sends shivers up the spine and John doing magic behind him.  My favorite. 

Any other recommendations ? 

9 hours ago, 1998giventofly said:

The 3/21 solo is pretty awesome. It's a little long but the play style is reminiscent of 1973.

Agreed, one of the reasons that show is an all-time great.  The version from the earlier Seattle show (the 17th) gets overlooked, it's outstanding.

• 5 months later...

I agree the Montreal STH solo is his best. I think May 24 at Earls Court is 2nd best. Detroit January 31 is also very good. Chicago January 20 is a very sweet, melodic solo. Also, the solo in the May 17th show has moments of beautiful phrasing.

The speed and intensity of Page's playing peaked in 1973, but I think his playing in 1975 is better. He's more creative and melodic and I think there's alot of "beauty" in his music. It's hard to put it in words, but there are alot of beautiful songs Page has composed - Rain Song, Going to California, Bron-Yr-Aur, Stairway, Ramble On, Ten Years Gone etc.

On 5/26/2020 at 8:13 AM, Rich Holt said:

I agree the Montreal STH solo is his best. I think May 24 at Earls Court is 2nd best. Detroit January 31 is also very good. Chicago January 20 is a very sweet, melodic solo. Also, the solo in the May 17th show has moments of beautiful phrasing.

The speed and intensity of Page's playing peaked in 1973, but I think his playing in 1975 is better. He's more creative and melodic and I think there's alot of "beauty" in his music. It's hard to put it in words, but there are alot of beautiful songs Page has composed - Rain Song, Going to California, Bron-Yr-Aur, Stairway, Ramble On, Ten Years Gone etc.

Considering Page was playing with a broken finger which was healing (or trying to heal) during the 1975 NA tour, the fact he even played is astounding, much less how damn good many of his performances were that year.

14 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

Page's playing in Montreal 1975 was just fucking vicious. For me, Seattle '73, Montreal '75, L.A. Forum 6/2377 and Copenhagen 7/24/79 would be my first 4 stops in a Led Zeppelin time machine. 

You got that right Amigo

Nothing tops the solos from 1973. C'mon now. 1975 and on were more dramatic because they were capitalizing on the legend of the song, and Page compensated for his diminished fluency. The better solos from 73 are absolute masterclass in phrasing and technique. The one used in The Song Remains The Same stands out as an obvious example.

On 5/30/2020 at 1:15 AM, pluribus said:

Nothing tops the solos from 1973. C'mon now. 1975 and on were more dramatic because they were capitalizing on the legend of the song, and Page compensated for his diminished fluency. The better solos from 73 are absolute masterclass in phrasing and technique. The one used in The Song Remains The Same stands out as an obvious example.

Totally agree. What's with the rose colored ears and '75..seriously?  Not even close to 71-73.