In defense of Four Sticks. Yes, it can hang with Zeppelin IV

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 12:19 AM, Fat Albert 72 said:

For me it’s zeppelin at their best, maximum energy. Four Sticks and When The Levee Breaks are the two best songs on the album.

At last! .... I just read this thread completely bemused, glad I saw this last comment. For me 4 sticks is not just one of the best pieces that Zep wrote but one of the best pieces anybody on this planet wrote. Its not as epic as Kashmir, Stairway, Achilles etc. but it has an incredible evocative intensity. Especially the 'chorus' or whetever you want to call it, 'when the owls fly in the night'. The whole band is so integrated its like the four members have ceased to exist and only one entity exists, thats the only way I can explain it and I've never heard anyone achieve that anywhere....thats what it does for me personally. I loved the Page Plant reworks but the version of 4 sticks even with all the extra musicians just didnt achieve the intensity of the original. 

On 2/2/2020 at 9:59 PM, Victor said:

At last! .... I just read this thread completely bemused, glad I saw this last comment. For me 4 sticks is not just one of the best pieces that Zep wrote but one of the best pieces anybody on this planet wrote. Its not as epic as Kashmir, Stairway, Achilles etc. but it has an incredible evocative intensity. Especially the 'chorus' or whetever you want to call it, 'when the owls fly in the night'. The whole band is so integrated its like the four members have ceased to exist and only one entity exists, thats the only way I can explain it and I've never heard anyone achieve that anywhere....thats what it does for me personally. I loved the Page Plant reworks but the version of 4 sticks even with all the extra musicians just didnt achieve the intensity of the original. 

Fantastic comment, you nailed it👍. I also love Plants vocal on the outro, it’s so evocative.

Are there really Zeppelin fans who diss 'Four Sticks'? It's a killer! I mean, imagine if 'Down By the Seaside' was in its place. I really like that song but comparatively that would be the nadir of the fourth album. And cheers to Bonzo for suggesting to play it with four sticks thereby saving the track.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:07 AM, Mr. Mountain Hop said:

Are there really Zeppelin fans who diss 'Four Sticks'? It's a killer! I mean, imagine if 'Down By the Seaside' was in its place. I really like that song but comparatively that would be the nadir of the fourth album. And cheers to Bonzo for suggesting to play it with four sticks thereby saving the track.

The track never needed saving. It is quintessential Zeppelin

• 2 months later...