Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, gcczep said:

@JTM... Yes, it appears to be the new Millard release of a week ago. I have much older releases of the show on silvers.

With this new batch of "Millard Masters" coming out lately, you just know these bootlegging bastards are going insane waiting for the MASTER copies of Millard's Zep recordings to appear online. The Long Beach Millard Master indeed appeared on Dime last weekend and one of these Moonchild motherfuckers was probably first in the queue over there downloading it gratis. And now selling it at thirty bucks a pop.

The guys who are putting out these Millard masters (the good people at JEMS, I believe) should save Mike's Zep tapes for last...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

I haven't sort out which ones are the SB's but these are the Moonchild '77 and '80' releases:

image.png.fb9ce2e759d3db89dd160659579d7cdb.png

My blood is boiling, all the great work Winston does for free, then these gobshite scumbags come along to steal his work for profit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JTM said:

My blood is boiling, all the great work Winston does for free, then these gobshite scumbags come along to steal his work for profit.

Completely agree. I have little understanding and absolutely no empathy for people who buy bootlegs that are available to download for free. The slight exception being those who for whatever reason buy the new releases from EV that come out every year or 2 and liberate them to the community. And I kind of understand the hardcore mega collector's mentality but still think they have more money than sense. If you absolutely must have the physical CD anyone can burn it and print artwork in 10 minutes for next to no money.

----Edit: JTM, we are literally members #39 and #46 of this site. Out of boredom I went through the preceding members and aside from the admin we are the first ever regular posters here. That's kinda cool and kinda sad, hahaha.----

Like the poster above asking about Moonchild releases because he can't afford EV. Dude, most of these releases are remasters made by a fan for the community for free. Winston's work is often the definitive version of each show, he specifically requests his remasters are only shared freely, not for sale. And instead of participating in that spirit, you want to give your money to some scummy company who has directly ripped off his work and is profiting from burning it onto a CD with some crap artwork? It's shameful.

Edited by SilverVishnu
Link to post
Share on other sites

you guys are being way to tough on bootleggers.   I would never have heard any of the shows I did back in the mid eighties had it not been for bootleggers.  My hobby is not trading for masters or low gen copies, my hobby was to search out vinyl bootlegs then silvers and buy them so that I could not only listen too but also have a physical representation for my money.  I have now downloaded everything I could never have bought and it has ruined my hobby. I used to love my boots because I had to search them out and handle them to listen, now they sit packed away in a box because I have every show and 20 variations to boot right at my fingertips in my comp..

There is something to be said for collecting boots because without them most of the people here and around the country would never have had a window into live Zeppelin. I mean how many people in this country really know anything about bootlegs? I'd say it's not that many.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

you guys are being way to tough on bootleggers.   I would never have heard any of the shows I did back in the mid eighties had it not been for bootleggers.  My hobby is not trading for masters or low gen copies, my hobby was to search out vinyl bootlegs then silvers and buy them so that I could not only listen too but also have a physical representation for my money.  I have now downloaded everything I could never have bought and it has ruined my hobby. I used to love my boots because I had to search them out and handle them to listen, now they sit packed away in a box because I have every show and 20 variations to boot right at my fingertips in my comp..

There is something to be said for collecting boots because without them most of the people here and around the country would never have had a window into live Zeppelin. I mean how many people in this country really know anything about bootlegs? I'd say it's not that many.

Yep...same here. I still have my Zeppelin bootleg LP's and subsequent CD's from the local record swap meets that are decades old. Good bless and cheers Robert Godwin wherever you are. I've since downloaded versions that are supposed to be off low gen tapes so out of curiosity thanks to the kind souls here who were gracious to give me access. A long way from trading cassettes, then CD-R's and now digital copies off the 'net.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

you guys are being way to tough on bootleggers.   I would never have heard any of the shows I did back in the mid eighties had it not been for bootleggers.  My hobby is not trading for masters or low gen copies, my hobby was to search out vinyl bootlegs then silvers and buy them so that I could not only listen too but also have a physical representation for my money.  I have now downloaded everything I could never have bought and it has ruined my hobby. I used to love my boots because I had to search them out and handle them to listen, now they sit packed away in a box because I have every show and 20 variations to boot right at my fingertips in my comp..

There is something to be said for collecting boots because without them most of the people here and around the country would never have had a window into live Zeppelin. I mean how many people in this country really know anything about bootlegs? I'd say it's not that many.

5 hours ago, gcczep said:

Yep...same here. I still have my Zeppelin bootleg LP's and subsequent CD's from the local record swap meets that are decades old. Good bless and cheers Robert Godwin wherever you are. I've since downloaded versions that are supposed to be off low gen tapes so out of curiosity thanks to the kind souls here who were gracious to give me access. A long way from trading cassettes, then CD-R's and now digital copies off the 'net.

Just the same, live music torrent sites such as The Traders Den or Dimeadozen are free to join and those places are where all the action is. Fuck buying a Moonchild boot when you can log onto Dime or the Den and download the goddamn show for free in about three minutes. Yes, I'm well aware that in some cases in order for the show to appear online somebody has to pony up the dough for the fucking Silver boot CD and upload it, but these days, the best source recordings for a given performance are being circulated online for free exclusively and bypassing the bootleggers altogether. 

The hell of it is, the JEMS guys who are putting out these Millard Masters know goddamn well the recordings are going to be bootlegged, and are putting them out anyway. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nutrocker said:

Fuck buying a Moonchild boot when you can log onto Dime or the Den and download the goddamn show for free in about three minutes. Yes, I'm well aware that in some cases in order for the show to appear online somebody has to pony up the dough for the fucking Silver boot CD and upload it, but these days, the best source recordings for a given performance are being circulated online for free exclusively and bypassing the bootleggers altogether. 

The hell of it is, the JEMS guys who are putting out these Millard Masters know goddamn well the recordings are going to be bootlegged, and are putting them out anyway. 

 

This. I have nothing against people buying boots when they had to be bought because the Internet didn't exist in the form it does today. I would have been one of them had I got into this stuff before about 2004. But the only new sources that come out now are the occasional EV release every year or 2, and stuff like Glasgow and Detroit 1972 which are shared freely from the beginning. So in this day and age I think it's pretty scummy to buy a bootlegged version of a fan remaster designed to be shared freely. Especially when you're not getting anything for your money that you couldn't do yourself for the price of a blank CD and some printer paper.

Edited by SilverVishnu
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, keep in mind that all of those great Winston and Dadgad remasters of the Empress Valley Soundboards wouldn't be possible without Empress Valley releasing those soundboards in the first place. Given that Empress Valley is Moonchild, it's hard to find much to complain about in any area here. Nowadays there are about 50 remasters out there for any one new show that comes out.

Anyone familiar with the Mike Millard story knows that he would probably be livid if he knew his recordings were being shared out at all. On top of which, they are being EQ'd before they are released, which would also not make Millard very happy. So, add that to the pile.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pluribus said:

Anyone familiar with the Mike Millard story knows that he would probably be livid if he knew his recordings were being shared out at all. On top of which, they are being EQ'd before they are released, which would also not make Millard very happy. So, add that to the pile.

Yep, Millard's antipathy for the bootleggers rivalled Freezer's. Two peas in a pod...fortunately their tapes are good enough to transcend whatever paranoias they might have had about their recordings getting out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 7/14/2020 at 3:45 PM, pluribus said:

Anyone familiar with the Mike Millard story knows that he would probably be livid if he knew his recordings were being shared out at all. On top of which, they are being EQ'd before they are released, which would also not make Millard very happy. So, add that to the pile.

I always think about how he became a huge part of the Zep lore. Without him we wouldn't have 10 amazing recordings and even JP honored him in 2003 for his efforts. .  Legend. . And I like others have all shows but it is fun to own a packaged silvers or vinyl.  If he only knew what he did for the fans and his stature in the history of live LZ. . 

 

Edited by Bozoso73
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 9/18/2020 at 8:19 PM, Bozoso73 said:

I always think about how he became a huge part of the Zep lore. Without him we wouldn't have 10 amazing recordings and even JP honored him in 2003 for his efforts. .  Legend. . And I like others have all shows but it is fun to own a packaged silvers or vinyl.  If he only knew what he did for the fans and his stature in the history of live LZ. . 

 

I would imagine Mike Millard was well aware of his stature among the fans and collectors, and from what I understand about the guy his reaction was decidedly Freezeresque- those guys hated seeing other people making money off their recordings...not just Zeppelin, but the umpteen Stones, Yes, Dylan etc shows they taped as well. We may kiss Millard's ass posthumously, but I bet it'd be different story if the guy was still around and active within the online live music trading community in 2020...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 12:25 PM, SteveZ98 said:

New message on AirRaid:

The AirRaid web site will end at the end of January 2021.
Thank you for 20 years.
Future new one information and stock status will be notified by email to those who have purchased so far.

This makes me very sad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

The AirRaid site is gone. Looks like their their hosting service shut down. A translation of the text on the page that now shows up when you try to go to their site says:

Thank you for using So-net.

We are pleased to inform you that we will end the provision of the "U-page +" service on January 28, 2021 (Thursday).

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused to our customers who use the service, and we would like to express our sincere gratitude for their patronage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...