SNL ~ Saturday Night Live

The Rover

I saw the show originally when it began in the 70's. That's my favorite SNL memories.

There was a 2-hour Special on tonight that featured highlights and cast comments on the SNL of the 90's. There were many funny bits with the very talented cast.

They also showed some excerpts from musical guests in the 90's.....

All I have to say.... is what a dearth of musical talent that SNL chose to feature in the 90's !

But then, SNL's Musical Guests mostly sucked, only occasionaly being something special.

Hell, tonight, I thought 5 of the bands ALL SOUNDED THE SAME !!!

The only thing that Rocked, was Aerosmith ---- doing a song --- from the 70's !!!!

Edited by The Rover

I saw the show originally when it began in the 70's. That's my favorite SNL memories.

There was a 2-hour Special on tonight that featured highlights and cast comments on the SNL of the 90's. There were many funny bits with the very talented cast.

They also showed some excerpts from musical guests in the 90's.....

All I have to say.... is what a dearth of musical talent that SNL chose to feature in the 90's !

But then, SNL's Musical Guests mostly sucked, only occasionaly being something special.

Hell, tonight, I thought 5 of the bands ALL SOUNDED THE SAME !!!

The only thing that Rovked, was Aerosmith ---- doing a song --- from the 70's !!!!

Sorry I missed it! My husband and I were big fans of the original show. We loved Belushi. There's a classic clip of him doing an imitation of Joe Cocker. We still laugh about it b/c we'd seen Joe Cocker in concert back in the day and Belushi did a great imitation of him. Speaking of the old SNL, back in the early days of the show, they'd sometimes make reference to or mention Zep in the context of a skit.

Sorry I missed it! My husband and I were big fans of the original show. We loved Belushi. There's a classic clip of him doing an imitation of Joe Cocker. We still laugh about it b/c we'd seen Joe Cocker in concert back in the day and Belushi did a great imitation of him. Speaking of the old SNL, back in the early days of the show, they'd sometimes make reference to or mention Zep in the context of a skit.

Bill Murray referenced Zep frequently. Several times in the Lounge Singer act.

Now that the entire first season is out, people can see what we saw in our "youth"... B)

I remember a skit where a radio DJ did a on air commercial for a place called "Stairway To Headphones" :)

Bill Murray referenced Zep frequently. Several times in the Lounge Singer act.

Now that the entire first season is out, people can see what we saw in our "youth"... B)

Yes! I loved the show for that! It was perfect for its time and for the many Zep fans who watched it. My husband and I were talking about this tonight and he reminded me that I had met Bill Murray in the late '70s. I couldn't even remember that. :bagoverhead:

I remember a skit where a radio DJ did a on air commercial for a place called "Stairway To Headphones" :)

:lol: I loved when they did the Zep references! We were all Zep fans watching that show back then so we got everyone of those references too.

About the Belushi/Joe Cocker skit: my husband remembered that Belushi first imitated Joe Cocker on the show by himself and Joe Cocker was so cool about it that he came on the show at a later date and then did the duet with Belushi.

I've always been an SNL fan, and I've loved several casts/eras:

The early 80's cast: Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscopo, Tim Kazurinsky, Robin Duke, etc

The 1984/85 cast: Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, etc

The 1986-early 90's cast: core of Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Kevin Nealon, etc, then the addition of the young guys who came to dominate the show like Mike Myers, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley

The late 90's into the 2000's: Will Ferrell, Darrell Hammond, Chris Parnell, Jimmy Fallon, etc.

I think it's kind of a hip thing to say that only the original cast was any good, but it's just not true. If I had to sit in a room and watch every episode from a particular season back-to-back, and could pick the season, any season from the 70's would be WAY down on my list. But that's just me.

I'll never forget Chris Farley's faux interview with Paul Mccartney. Sometimes, when I do or say stupid things and I get frustrated, I remember that skit and laugh.
Loved that one.

I met him once on the street very briefly. He was so approachable. I said something like "Hey Chris Farley" and we shook hands. He was like "Hey wanna go get a beer?" I was late for work, so I passed. Very cool though.

I'll never forget Chris Farley's faux interview with Paul Mccartney. Sometimes, when I do or say stupid things and I get frustrated, I remember that skit and laugh.

That's because that's how anyone of us would act if we got to interview Paul McCartney. I'd probably forget my name.

Anyone else bought the first two seasons on DVD? I did - great stuff. I remember staying up real late to watch when I was like 5, 6, 7 watching the end of the original cast and rebirth with Murphy and those guys.

A lot of people have a fondness for the original 70's SNL cast,

but as shown in that special, the 90's were a strong decade.

The Chris Farley Chippendales sketch was one of the all-time best.

Yes, indeed, the 90's were a strong decade for SNL.

More consistency than in the 70's.

But, I think that the most memorable individual skits...were done in the 70's.

I say "most" memorable. I love the best of the 90's also. I was already 20 when SNL debuted. So, I guess if I had seen some of the more juvenille and sophpomoric stuff when I was a teen, or pre-teen, then that would make a difference in how I perceived the show.

Edited by The Rover

• 11 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tried watching SNL a few weeks back when Will Farrrell was the host and there was not one laugh in the monologue.

When the fuck are these assholes going to get over Trump winning the election 3 years ago?  Alec Baldwin who is talented has basically

ruined his career continuing to do these lame Trump skits that aren't funny. 

• 2 weeks later...