SNL ~ Saturday Night Live

The Rover

On 1/2/2020 at 10:24 PM, kipper said:

Tried watching SNL a few weeks back when Will Farrrell was the host and there was not one laugh in the monologue.

When the fuck are these assholes going to get over Trump winning the election 3 years ago?  Alec Baldwin who is talented has basically

ruined his career continuing to do these lame Trump skits that aren't funny. 

Why is mocking Trump different than SNL mocking every other president since Ford? It's pretty much an SNL tradition. Dan Aykroyd did a hilarious Carter, Carvey an amazing Bush sr., Hammond constantly mocked the hell out of Clinton, and Pharoah was hilarious as Obama.

No President is above being mocked, not even Dictator Wannabe Trump

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2020 at 8:16 PM, PeaceFrogYum said:

Why is mocking Trump different than SNL mocking every other president since Ford? It's pretty much an SNL tradition. Dan Aykroyd did a hilarious Carter, Carvey an amazing Bush sr., Hammond constantly mocked the hell out of Clinton, and Pharoah was hilarious as Obama.

No President is above being mocked, not even Dictator Wannabe Trump

One my favorite SNL players and probably one of the most intelligent comics I have ever seen is Norm MacDonald---- probably why SNL/NBC fired him.  But MacDonald was talking about the manner in which SNL is currently covering Trump and Norm explains why he doesn't think it is funny. Norm as you know spoofed Bob Dole for years on the show, but Norm said it was funny because he actually admired the Dole--- so as Norm says, it gives some humanity to the character and makes it funnier.

Alec Baldwin hates Donald Trump, so his derision of the man it too much--- it is actually polarizing and not funny.

Dan Aykoyd clearly didn't hate Carter.  Same with Chevy Chase and Gerald Ford; Chase didn't hate the man--- and that made it funny.  And in terms of Dana Carvey's impersonaton of the Bush I---- also funny and brilliant. So much that the President himself was a fan of Carvey.

One you make it mean, then it isn't going to be very funny anymore. If the idea is getting more viewers; why go out and turn off half the country?  SNL is clearly in the hate Trump category-- so not funny. Just proof of how out of step SNL is today with most of America. It is the failure of the big liberal coastal cities to not appreciate that theirs in not the only viewpoint.

For Example:

This was funny

4 hours ago, kipper said:

One my favorite SNL players and probably one of the most intelligent comics I have ever seen is Norm MacDonald---- probably why SNL/NBC fired him.  But MacDonald was talking about the manner in which SNL is currently covering Trump and Norm explains why he doesn't think it is funny. Norm as you know spoofed Bob Dole for years on the show, but Norm said it was funny because he actually admired the Dole--- so as Norm says, it gives some humanity to the character and makes it funnier.

Alec Baldwin hates Donald Trump, so his derision of the man it too much--- it is actually polarizing and not funny.

Dan Aykoyd clearly didn't hate Carter.  Same with Chevy Chase and Gerald Ford; Chase didn't hate the man--- and that made it funny.  And in terms of Dana Carvey's impersonaton of the Bush I---- also funny and brilliant. So much that the President himself was a fan of Carvey.

One you make it mean, then it isn't going to be very funny anymore. If the idea is getting more viewers; why go out and turn off half the country?  SNL is clearly in the hate Trump category-- so not funny. Just proof of how out of step SNL is today with most of America. It is the failure of the big liberal coastal cities to not appreciate that theirs in not the only viewpoint.

For Example:

This was funny

So by your metric The Great Dictator was not funny, or do you think Chaplin secretly admired Hitler?

BTW, most of America voted Clinton, not Trump...over 3 million in fact. The majority of Americans do not like Trump so if anything, SNL is playing to the masses. Whether Baldwin is funny or not as Trump is up to them to decide. Personally, I agree with you that Baldwin stinks as Trump. Not because Baldwin hates Trump, but because Baldwin is a narcissistic jackass who thinks he is being funny when in fact he is being self-indulgent and absurd.

IMO Trump is very difficult to play because Trump's own personality is already so way over the top it is in itself a sick parody of humanity at its worse. So where can you go from there?

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

9 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

So by your metric The Great Dictator was not funny, or do you think Chaplin secretly admired Hitler?

BTW, most of America voted Clinton, not Trump...over 3 million in fact. The majority of Americans do not like Trump so if anything, SNL is playing to the masses. Whether Baldwin is funny or not as Trump is up to them to decide. Personally, I agree with you that Baldwin stinks as Trump. Not because Baldwin hates Trump, but because Baldwin is a narcissistic jackass who thinks he is being funny when in fact he is being self-indulgent and absurd.

IMO Trump is very difficult to play because Trump's own personality is already so way over the top it is in itself a sick parody of humanity at its worse. So where can you go from there?

For the record, Alec Baldwin doesn't like to play Trump at all but Lorne Michaels begs him to continue to do it.  He won't do it more than once a month and thinks it hurts the show when he is in the opening scene. He spoke about it during his latest appearance on the Stern show.  I do find it ironic Trump supporters get so butt hurt over him being mocked or made fun of - at the same time whine about everybody being too "pc", easily offended or thin skinned.  Snowflakes.

Edited by Walter

Ok, I never intended this to degrade into a bash Alec Baldwin rant. Everyone has bad moments and even the best of parents go off the wall at times and to be honest, both my mother and father said much, much worse to me as a child. Of course its not right but we are all human and we all make mistakes.

Regarding his SNL Trump impersonation: if Lorne Michaels is the impetus behind the parody then I can see why Baldwin is playing it so over the top as he does not want to do it in the first place.

The rest though holds true. I don't know of anyone who can parody Trump as he is already a walking parody. The guy is so over the top he is one line of adderal away from going full Vince McMahon on live TV.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...