Nirvana

zeppelinfan13

He reportedly had so much heroin in his system that it would've been impossible for him to do anything let alone pull a trigger. That's just from what I remember. There was more. Not to mention the fact that he had a daughter which meant the world to him.

He wouldn't be the first parent to commit suicide.

I respected Nirvana up until Kurt's suicide.

Here's a picture of one man who had it all then thrown it away for no good apparent reason. To this day I believe that he didn't wish Nirvana to have gotten as big and commercial as it was and when he did he just couldn't see the path he was on anymore. Maybe if he had come down from the drugs he could have just taken a few steps back and said "That's it. I'm out." Perhaps it could have been different.

What really sickens me is that alot of people in Seattle, not to mention in the rest of the world...treat Kurt's death like he was a martyr. No one will let the man rest in peace and just be thankful for the music he provided us during his time on earth.

Ugh, Give me Queensryche and Pearl Jam anyday. :blink:

He reportedly had so much heroin in his system that it would've been impossible for him to do anything let alone pull a trigger. That's just from what I remember. There was more. Not to mention the fact that he had a daughter which meant the world to him.

You know...Tom Grant is so full of shit. He's just in it for the money. Anyway, it has been proved that junkies who've been using as much as Kurt can survive huuuuge doses of heroin in their system. I mean, don't believe everything you read.

And well...a lot of parents kill themselves. My uncle committed suicide 2 years ago and he had 3 children and loved them very much.

i love all their songs. but am not a worshiper. their real magic? they opened a breathing hole in the canvas of that periods increasingly smothering popular scene. in the hairspray motorcycle fume smogged atmosphere they were a breath of fresh air. have to give much credit to the talent scout that signed them to geffen and to dave grohl for solidifying the band's sound and direction. and to all the weak boring poser bands that made the hunting so easy for a band with an once of integrity and rawness to come in for a kill.

as to his suicide, i respect him in his decision. there's worse things that can happen to

a person, such as your thirties.

I hated them when they came out and hate them still. I'll never forget hearing the Nevermind album and say "the singing sucks and the guitar playing sucks, why would anybody listen to this?" and going back to my Zeppelin Destroyer boot (on cassette!). Also as I've become older I've seen this myth build up with kids who were weren't around then that they were the epitome of alternative and it just isn't true. While they were a something totally new they were as heavily marketed and promoted as Fallout Boy and all those other disposable bands of today are. Every girl in the 7th grade knew all the words to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and they played that on top 40 radio constantly. It was the Soundgardens and Mudhoneys that were the alternative back then. College radio was really, really cool in the early 90's. Even if you didn't like what they were playing it was always new and different. End of an era.

Another funny thing is I didn't know that Teen Spirit was a deodorant for years after!

• 4 years later...

Kurt Cobain would have been 45 today so here's a video of Nirvana doing an in-store in support of Nevermind at Off the Record in San Diego, CA on October 24th, 1991.

http://youtu.be/9SxQSwD8Az0

"This was supposed to be an acoustic show, with instruments supplied by the record store, but since they didn't have any left-handed guitars, the band ended up using their own instruments and playing an electric set"__NLG

0:19

Dumb (cuts in)

3:19

Here She Comes Now

6:31

About A Girl

9:32

Polly

13:20

On A Plain

16:40

Been A Son

19:05

Band signing autograph

• 10 months later...

I've only recently gotten back into listening to them and I think they were/are a great band. Cobain's lyrics about living in drab Aberdeen (my nephew lives in Hoquiam) are pretty spot on. Of course his words describe scenes that go on all across the country and the world which is still full of assholes. I've said many times that I'm waiting for evolution to weed out all the assholes/jerks of the world, but it will be a long wait for that to happen. I've recently bought 5 of their albums and one book on them.

• 1 month later...

Nice timeline Sue!

<finds Nirvana thread
<psyched to talk with others about fav band outside of Zep
<sees nothing but people shit talking and dumb conspiracy crap
<leaves disappointed.

What makes them your 2nd fav group? For me, Nirvana and Pearl Jam were too overplayed back in the early mid-90's and I never regained my enthusiasm for their music. Their "Unplugged" disc is my favorite. I do still enjoy listening to "Frances Farmer...", "Breed", "About A Girl", "Scentless Apprentice" and many more - just don't come to mind when deciding to throw something into the car and drive around to.

:)

I can't really describe why, it's just they're the only other band besides Zep that actually clicks with me in personal (although very different) way. I love all their songs, and the fact Kurt's voice isn't perfect lets me know it's his real talent, and I love him even more for it. He was an excellent guitarist, and he definitely knew how to compose a good song. Dave Grohl's drumming is just soo badass, and Krist's bassplaying is very funky, especially for an Aberdeen (not Seattle!) grunge band.

My favourite songs are:
01)Big Long Now
02)You Know You're Right
03)School
04)Sliver
05)Milk It

06)Dive
07)Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
08)Come As You Are
09)Aneurysm
10)Scentless Apprentice
11)Rape Me

Nice timeline Sue!

What makes them your 2nd fav group? For me, Nirvana and Pearl Jam were too overplayed back in the early mid-90's and I never regained my enthusiasm for their music. Their "Unplugged" disc is my favorite. I do still enjoy listening to "Frances Farmer...", "Breed", "About A Girl", "Scentless Apprentice" and many more - just don't come to mind when deciding to throw something into the car and drive around to.

:)

Edited by Sue Dounim

Dave Grohl reveals he asked PJ Harvey to front Nirvana reunion

Frontman says there's a "good reason" why Foo Fighters don't play Nirvana songs

Dave Grohl has revealed that he asked PJ Harvey to join the remaining Nirvana members on stage to replace Kurt Cobain.

Speaking in this week's NME, which is on newsstands from today or available digitally, the Foo Fighters frontman said that he approached Harvey to play with his Sound City players – the band featured in his documentary about the California studio where Nirvana recorded 'Nevermind'.

When asked if he would ever cover a Nirvana track live, he said: "Every once in a while we talk about it. For the Sound City gig here in London we were thinking about musicians that we could invite because Stevie Nicks and John Fogerty couldn't make it. Someone came up with the idea of doing a Nirvana song with PJ Harvey. Kurt loved her and we love her and we thought, 'Yeah, what would we do?' I said: 'God, what if we were to do 'Milk It' from 'In Utero' with Polly singing?' We all looked at each other like, 'Woah, that would be amazing…' and then she couldn't do it!"

He continued: "The thing is, it's sacred ground. If we were ever to do something like that it would have to be right because you want to pay tribute. There's a reason Foo Fighters don't do Nirvana songs, and it's a good reason."

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/dave-grohl/69312#Q6RP2kdrcW13TPlS.99

• 3 weeks later...

Do you guys think that maybe if Cobain hadn't of committed suicide, that maybe Pat Smear would of been invited as a full time member? Judging from his friendship with Kurt, playing in the last set of tours as a touring guitarist and his appearance at 12/12/12, I think it could of been possible. Then again, Nirvana almost seemed like they were on there way out, and that Cobain would of probably elected to of gone solo. I don't know, it's just too hard to tell :/

I'm a major Nirvana fan. Sometimes less is more. Kurt wrote simple music that really just hit me deep. He didn't do everything by the book. I personally love that. Also I would have loved solo Kurt actually. Just Kurt with an acoustic guitar and singing, man... just beautiful. My opinion.

Edited by JLee93

• 1 month later...