Nirvana

zeppelinfan13

Nirvana Live at the Paramount is an awesome concert. Nirvana certainly revived rock music in the early 90s away from that glam metal and stereotypical party time type stuff. A no bullshit band. Since this is a Zeppelin forum, they did cover the Immigrant Song early in their career.

I was 14 when Nirvana went mainstream and I couldn't really relate to the angst at the time - and also - I hated jumping on the bandwagon so I avoided all the music that people at school seemed to be listening to, mainly Nirvana, G 'n' R and Metallica. I do remember the day Kurt died as I was watching a show called MTV's most wanted with Ray Cokes when they broke the news.

However, as I got older and life seemed to get progressively more crap, I definitely started to appreciate Nirvana more (not that your life needs to suck to like Nirvana) and could relate more to Kurt's feelings of isolation, alienation and antipathy towards the human race on some levels. He expressed a certain type of self-loathing and a frustration in not knowing why or how to change it that I don't think many musical artists have before, or since.

Anyway, this is a fairly interesting docu if anyone hasn't seen it.

• 2 months later...

I definitely started to appreciate Nirvana more.

I can relate to some of what you said in your post Pagesbow. Sometimes I avoid things because "everyone" is reading it, watching it, wearing it, etc...but with Nirvana, I just didn't truly listen when their music was being played on the radio.

Because of this (Other Bands) forum I have found lots of new music, have become reacquainted with some, and have a new like and appreciation for some artists, namely Nirvana.

Edited by jb126

I can relate to some of what you said in your post Pagesbow. Sometimes I avoid things because "everyone" is reading it, watching it, wearing it, etc...but with Nirvana, I just didn't truly listen when their music was being played on the radio.

Because of this (Other Bands) forum I have found lots of new music, have become reacquainted with some, and have a new like and appreciation for some artists, namely Nirvana.

That's what the Other Bands/Music section is for...to help people find music they might have otherwised missed out on the first time around or ignored for whatever reason. Whether it is Nirvana, Wilco, Black Angels, Portishead, Lady Gaga, Nina Simone, Sammy Davis, Jr. or Gustave Faure, there is a world of music out there beyond the Beatles/Stones/Led Zep/Floyd/Hendrix/Dylan/Who "classic rock" axis.

Edited by Strider

Nirvana is just not my cup of tea, never has been and I simply do not dig the grunge aspects at all. Most of the songs sound like they were written on the way to and from psychotherapy sessions in Seattle. All that yah-yah bitching and whining in the lyrics about trivialities tries my patience. If you have a propensity for depressing yourself or wallowing in self-pity, Nirvana is probably the soundtrack to your life. I

I agree with SteveAJones. Most of their songs sound like whiny wallowing of self pity by a depressed "kevin" teenager. (Look up Ed Gein's Kevin sketches if you don't know who he is.) Their songs are incredibly simple, made up of three chords at most and you can learn their whole album in a week or so. Their solos are non descript and Cobain's vocals sound like a dying whale.

I heard about this 20th anniversary release of, in utero, on radio this week. I thought it was a powerful record back in 93 and it got me to a nirvana show on that tour. It was a great show, the power and emotion of the record was definately evident in a live setting. I told friends at the time, this is what it was like for fans to hear great bands in the 60s/70s. They were a very special band and talent.
In regards to, in utero, you don't have to be a junkie to appreciate it...the lyrics are creative, avante gard/abstract at times and simple at other times. Disillusionment is part of punk rock, as it is the blues....and alot of books, movies and other art.
With steve albinis recording here....and pj harveys,rid of me...and walking into clarkdale, the guy gets a powerful effect, with quiet and loud. His quiet space is as blank and null as possible. When guitars and drums clash against this blank space, the effect is very good, in my grain of salt op. For ex milk it, frances farmer, heart shaped box.
Lyrically, its interesting that some might call it weakness,or others see it as honest or real. Whatever it is, its an artist observing the world....or their view of things. Cobain was more expressive than dee dee ramone, but creatively the same....or like a john lennon.
I have to say though, after kurt cobain passed, i didnt listen to that record for about five yrs...was too depressing.
I prefer the sound of this record, over the gloss off nevermind. The sonic vibe off in utero, might have even influenced, them crooked vultures record and live shows.

Edited by middlezep

• 4 weeks later...

I hope I'm not the only one enjoying the hell out of the new In Utero 20th Anniversary Super Deluxe Box Set! The bonus material is amazing, and best of all the complete MTV Live & Loud concert is now available on DVD (my favourite part too!)

You're not the only one. What do you think of the 2013 mixes? I do believe the new mix of "Dumb" is superior to Albini and how about the "new" Nirvana song, "Forgotten Tune?" I am grateful I picked up the 20th Anniversary Double Disc edition!

Edited by Adrian Ernesto Cepeda

You're not the only one. What do you think of the 2013 mixes? I do believe the new mix of "Dumb" is superior to Albini and how about the "new" Nirvana song, "Forgotten Tune?" I am grateful I picked up the 20th Anniversary Double Disc edition!

I actually haven't given the 2013 time of day yet. I did listen to Forgotten Tune, and it was great. I've been more focused on the Live and Loud show.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Edgewater Inn...check. Bruce Lee...check. Also on my list of objectives for my day in Seattle was checking out some local Nirvana landmarks.

The Central Tavern on First Ave. where Nirvana played their fitst Seattle gig in April 1988.

post-1470-0-73482200-1412197980_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-63621000-1412198020_thumb.jp

The Paramount Theatre on Pine St. where Nirvana played a legendary Halloween show on October 31, 1991.

post-1470-0-92177500-1412198149_thumb.jp

Of course, a visit to the Kurt Cobain Memorial Bench in Viretta Park, next to the Kurt & Courtney house on Lake Washington. Appropriately it was raining most of the time.

post-1470-0-66861100-1412198347_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-29535800-1412198422_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-03595400-1412198502_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-49631300-1412198564_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-95935700-1412198630_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-17102700-1412198719_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-29119500-1412198786_thumb.jp

Nirvana is just not my cup of tea, never has been and I simply do not dig the grunge aspects at all. Most of the songs sound like they were written on the way to and from psychotherapy sessions in Seattle. All that yah-yah bitching and whining in the lyrics about trivialities tries my patience. If you have a propensity for depressing yourself or wallowing in self-pity, Nirvana is probably the soundtrack to your life. I

Could it be one man's trivialities are another man's demons? nah...

Gotta say this post really surprised me. Not the content, as this point of view is rampant under every Cobain story, Nirvana video and thread online. But when there's a post count that high, one might expect that the poster has quality information or even some wisdom to bring to the table.

Turns out i know you from somewhere else, Steve. A song called "Ballad of a Thin Man". Yeah, Mr. Jones didn't "get" Bob upon his arrival. But it's been twenty years and you still don't understand Kurt.

Consider now for a moment the value in a fan hearing a lyric which commiserates, a lyric which addresses everyday problems which are universal but make many feel alone. Here's the news, like it or not. Kurt Cobain was very talented at writing those kind of lyrics.

Consider the value when someone feels like someone else understands. Can you calculate that?

The voice of dissent in rock n roll which speaks to and for the outsiders. The nobodies. For people whose voices are never heard. It's therapeutic. It's medicinal. Can you dig that?

You make it clear he wasn't here to speak for you, but can't you muster the respect to say he was here to speak for someone? Common sense might look at the album sales and passionate fanbase and think, there is something happening here. I just don't know what it is. Sucks to be an outsider, huh Mr. Jones?

No, you're definitely an important somebody. Your post count proves that, right? Or maybe that's just compensating for...

If there hadn't been so much of this hateful rhetoric throughout the years you might not come across as such a mindless follower now. Maybe thoughtless potshots at an easy target is just your style.

This begs the questions: Why would such a positive, together guy need to use that lame Kurt Cobain as a punching bag? Since he's so talentless, what is that really proving anyway? Shit, he's been dead for over twenty years and he's still a burr under your saddle?

It's that old classic move, right? Attack what you don't understand. Personally, i don't have patience for knee-jerk reactions or foundless judgements.

Something is still happening here, and you still don't know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones?

The singer had an interesting sense of humour with the tune "Heart shaped Box" which was about vagina, but he was a hack of singer with zero character in his voice to me, and the band's production was crap. Highly over rated although they did have some intersting album covers. To me Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and Stone Temple Pilots were much better examples of "grunge". It also bothered me that Cobain was treated like the 2nd coming. And the stage show was SHIT - to walk on stage looking like you don't give a fuck and basically ignore your audience always bothered me, people are paying money to see you, so get off your ass and move around and act like you care even if you don't really give a fuck.

Edited by Charles J. White

some of your points of view I`ll go along with, the humour, covers, show and the bands Soundgarden, Pearl Jam. but is vocals suited there music he wasn't the greatest singer. the Stone Temple Pilots personnel haven't heard anything of there music so I`m unable to answer the examples of grunge sound. I`ve gotten only two albums by Nirvana. the other two named bands are within my albums racks...

This is infinitely fascinating to me. The desperate drive to invalidate not only a man's work but his character because his music isn't your style. And the pathetic need to expose yourself as ultimately one dimensional. How dare anyone think outside your box. How grateful i am i'm not imprisoned in your mindnumbingly boring wasteland of a reality.

Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and STP pass muster because they had the good sense to keep their crayons inside your lines. Because the secret to all great rock bands is playing it safe and verbatim regurgitation.

But Nirvana didn't play it safe yet they still achieved success and cast a long shadow, and you just can't deal with that.

I think that's more your problem than Kurt Cobain's.

That's one reason why i admire the guy. Because he was successful in spite of his own problems. And in spite of people like you.

Seems like people could just say good riddance or oh well and leave him in the past. Just forget about the talentless fluke. Right?

But no. He seems to become more polarizing as time goes on.

For the record, Kurt Cobain was:

A great vocalist

A talented unique guitarist

An epic songwriter

And if you can't or won't peek outside your little box of rules long enough to consider this, that's your sad fucking problem.

Now go crawl back to your comfort zone where you belong.

And for the love of Jimi stop trying to define greatness with your color by numbers bullshit. You're embarrassing yourself.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The video has been blocked, Sath.

I am going to see the new Kurt Cobain documentary "Montage of Heck" in a couple hours. I believe that Beatles cover is included in the documentary...I'll let you know, Walter, how it is.