2020 MLB Thread

Walter

My Orioles masks should arrive today.  LOL.  Hope springs eternal in a 60 game season, if it indeed happens.  Just maybe with Means pitching  well my O's can sneak in?  Probably not but I give them a far better chance under these crazy circumstances.  Boston is finished.  No Mookie.  Dodgers should roll.  My sleeper is the White Sox.  So now you will likely have baseball and the NBA going head to head with the NFL in a potential PAY PER VIEW situation?  How else are they going to make up for the lost money?

I still don't get this shit that's been going on the last few years about starting the season in the middle of the week on a Thursday? What happened to saving it for the weekend when more eyes might be glued to the tube? And with all the talk that's been raging for years about how MLB can''t appeal to the youngsters like the NFL or NBA, a full slate of baseball games on Sunday sounds a hell of a lot better than 2 games in the middle of a work week.

But, what the hell do I know...  😏

I still think the Houston Astros dealt baseball a big black eye.  They should be stripped of the title.  The Dodgers took them 7 games and they knew every pitch that was coming.  Are you kidding me? Is there any doubt that the Dodgers would have won it?  They will win it now.  Without Price.  Unless of course my Orioles upset them in the Series!!  LOLI

On 7/11/2020 at 7:59 AM, paul carruthers said:

With 16 teams in the tournament now, someone with a 30-30 could possibly win it....

I do not see that happening, BUT there should be some surprises.  You know how sometimes it takes a good team time to get moving, and no panic due to the long season.  Now there will be panic.  A team like my Orioles could sneak in?   Better shot with a 60 game schedule than a 162 game one.  If Means pitch's well and they win when he is up, who knows.  I still like the White Sox as a long shot.  We should have a contest again.  Ill wait and let someone else have the honors.  NHL wont start next year until Dec 1  Not sure about NBA yet?  But I am not sure we will see our usual time when all 4 major sports here are playing at same time which usually happens in early November

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

In a 60-game crapshoot, it's going to be really hard for me to predict a darkhorse team. All I know is I still worry about my Mets and the pitching after our 2 aces, deGrom and Syndergaard. Our lineup has the homerun champ and some other pretty good sluggers, but I would realistically be looking at a Wild Card for the Mets & the Braves to repeat as division champs.

On 7/13/2020 at 1:53 PM, paul carruthers said:

In a 60-game crapshoot, it's going to be really hard for me to predict a darkhorse team. All I know is I still worry about my Mets and the pitching after our 2 aces, deGrom and Syndergaard. Our lineup has the homerun champ and some other pretty good sluggers, but I would realistically be looking at a Wild Card for the Mets & the Braves to repeat as division champs.

And just forget the team that won it all?  The Washington Nationals? And what about the Phillies and Harper?  This division is a tough race.  Miami is the only team without much hope.  Harper is not going to want to miss out again.  As for the Mets, those  two aces might be enough.  It has to be enough.  Unless you are the Dodgers or the thieving Yankees, not many teams can put forth 4 great starters like in the old days.   Like when my Orioles had 4 20 game winners.  The Angels were mentioned as one dark horse.  I wonder how Houston is going to play?  i mean they have a big target on their back.  To me they are one of the biggest stories with them being caught cheating and all.  Stole two world series.  A black eye for the sport.  Will be booed out of Dodger stadium if any fans are allowed in.  I still say the titles should be taken down. The Dodgers took them 7 and they knew every pitch that was coming for Gods sake.  

My boys open at Fenway and I like our chances with Means pitching vs a Boston team that will not be nearly as good as they are used to

Did you get your masks yet, Rick?  I got 2 sets and love the ones with the ear elastic.  John loves the ones with the elastic that goes over the head.  They're cute and comfortable. 

Games next week.  I wish I were more excited, but maybe when they actually start, I'll get into it.  I sorta wish I could go to games.  If that were possible, I'd have to think hard about it, but I'd probably go.  Probably... 

13 hours ago, ebk said:

Did you get your masks yet, Rick?  I got 2 sets and love the ones with the ear elastic.  John loves the ones with the elastic that goes over the head.  They're cute and comfortable. 

Games next week.  I wish I were more excited, but maybe when they actually start, I'll get into it.  I sorta wish I could go to games.  If that were possible, I'd have to think hard about it, but I'd probably go.  Probably... 

Yes, I bought a 3 pack of Orioles masks from the store on CBS sports. I like the White with Os logos the best.  Have an orange with just O’s on it and a nice black w logos too.  May try to upload pics later.  Our boys open in Boston

8 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Well it  appears no pool this year?  Ill take the Redlegs to win the Central.  And the ChiSox in the AL Central

No. Are you nuts? How can anyone make an informed guess about what teams are going to win in a short season with no proper spring training and weird quarantined playing environments? It's a total crapshoot.

FYI: I won't be doing a football pool this year, no matter what the NFL decides.

18 hours ago, Strider said:

No. Are you nuts? How can anyone make an informed guess about what teams are going to win in a short season with no proper spring training and weird quarantined playing environments? It's a total crapshoot.

FYI: I won't be doing a football pool this year, no matter what the NFL decides.

Lazy!!!!!  LOL.  So 5 Wild cards in each league I believe.  16 get in. My birds might sneak in?  Or not. i do not agree.  Dodgers are loaded and will be tough.  NFL, its going to be teams that can play.  I think some fans will be allowed.  At least 25%.  If the rest of the country does what NY has done?

17 hours ago, ebk said:

No pools is good.  I'm forcing myself to tune into the games at this point.  John says he give the season 2 weeks.  We'll see. 

John who?

So two of our best pitchers not ready for opener!!!!  John Means and Tate, the guy from Yankees.  Sucks

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Oh, that weasel?  LOL  Just kidding Esther.  Your all lazy and kill joys.  NO contest?  Paul?  Step up to the plate pal

Yeah - you remember that weasel, right?  :D   He doesn't want the short season to be even shorter, he just thinks that's what will happen.  I hope he's wrong. 

Okay, I was just about to create the MLB pool thread (even if no one will partake) and the brain-fuck of all hit me: isn't the playoff pool supposed to be expanded this year???? I ask because apparently I'm not clear on just how the playoffs are getting expanded and how many more Wild cards are to be added in October.

So until I get some clear details, I have no f'n clue how to organize this pool, Rick....

:rolleyes:  :P

16 hours ago, ebk said:

Yeah - you remember that weasel, right?  :D   He doesn't want the short season to be even shorter, he just thinks that's what will happen.  I hope he's wrong. 

We all hope he is wrong. But I would not bet against him.  And I am hoping that all the sports go off without a hitch.  It wont be easy.  

2 teams I despise--but so far--a real good game. Not missing the crowd at all, however abrasive that may sound I apologize in advance, but without getting political, I'm sure we would all love fans in the seats

No rooting interest, other than I hope the game stays low scoring.... 😊

8 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Okay, I was just about to create the MLB pool thread (even if no one will partake) and the brain-fuck of all hit me: isn't the playoff pool supposed to be expanded this year???? I ask because apparently I'm not clear on just how the playoffs are getting expanded and how many more Wild cards are to be added in October.

So until I get some clear details, I have no f'n clue how to organize this pool, Rick....

:rolleyes:  :P

Thanks for the thought Paul, but I think we can skip it this year. If the season actually happens, we can do a post-season pool.  How does that sound?