Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Birghton

John Paul Jones Song Remains the Same - Filming Locations in 2020

Posted (edited)

Took a trip today to the locations used in the John Paul Jones Fantasy scene from the Song Remains the Same. First is the Windmill that John Paul Jones rides past in the night scene. This is the Nutley Windmill in the Ashdown Forest near to John Paul Jones' home Warren House in Crowborough. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutley_Windmill). The windmill dates back to the 1500s

Windmill.png

Edited by Chris Birghton
Change Topic

Posted (edited)

Many thanks to Steve Jones for suggesting I visit these sites, I doubt many have been to these historic Led Zeppelin Locations out of an interest in the band since 1976!

Edited by Chris Birghton

Thank you very much for uploading those wonderful pics.  Very cool! B) 

6 hours ago, Chris Birghton said:

Many thanks to Steve Jones for suggesting I visit these sites, I doubt many have been to these historic Led Zeppelin Locations out of an interest in the band since 1976!

I am beyond thrilled to see these images! If awards can be won here they are all yours. These film locations are something I have been interested in and researching for years. When I discovered the cross was a Baldwin burial plot, I felt compelled to get there. I fully intended to do so during my last visit to the UK in 2018 but time simply did not permit. When I saw your posts on Horselunges Manor I knew you were the right man for the job! I'll get to the church yard one day (I hope), ideally on horseback but until then you have fueled my imagination of JPJ's night ride with this photos.

5 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Great work!

TWELVE YEARS IN THE MAKING! Thank YOU, Sam Rapallo:

JPJ said he did in fact perform with Herman's Hermits in Germany on the 

"Yardley Tour", playing hammond organ for the string arrangements he 
did for those songs. He recalled playing in Hamburg, but wasn't sure 
about any other dates.

Regarding the church in The Song Remains the Same - He recalls it 
being in Withyham, East Sussex, probably St. Michael's.

Nice job. Thx for sharing 

😎👍

What about the pipe organ? I want to see the pipe organ!!!!

Hey, no shit, great job. Those pictures are amazing and I am sure you had a good time as well.

Thank you Sir

Posted (edited)

Beautiful, pictures, love the graveyard pictures especially!

Edited by RainbowElf

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

What about the pipe organ? I want to see the pipe organ!!!!

If I recall correctly, the pipe organ is in the Alexandra Palace in London, which opened to the public in 1873. It is a grand concert organ built by 'Father' Henry Willis, one of the most famous Victorian organ builders.

colour70ssm.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I am beyond thrilled to see these images! If awards can be won here they are all yours. These film locations are something I have been interested in and researching for years. When I discovered the cross was a Baldwin burial plot, I felt compelled to get there. I fully intended to do so during my last visit to the UK in 2018 but time simply did not permit. When I saw your posts on Horselunges Manor I knew you were the right man for the job! I'll get to the church yard one day (I hope), ideally on horseback but until then you have fueled my imagination of JPJ's night ride with this photos.

TWELVE YEARS IN THE MAKING! Thank YOU, Sam Rapallo:

JPJ said he did in fact perform with Herman's Hermits in Germany on the 

"Yardley Tour", playing hammond organ for the string arrangements he 
did for those songs. He recalled playing in Hamburg, but wasn't sure 
about any other dates.

Regarding the church in The Song Remains the Same - He recalls it 
being in Withyham, East Sussex, probably St. Michael's.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Church, it was a great day out. I felt like I was helping to uncover some Rock History. I told the rector of the Church and he is going to put the Led Zeppelin link in their News letter. The group who look after Windmill (some of who have been involved since the 1970s) also had no idea about the Led Zeppelin link and I am going to send them some links to the video. They seemed quite excited about the idea and hoped it might increase some interest in the Windmill. These things might have simply been lost in time. Living in Sussex is ideal for exploring these historical Led Zeppelin locations, and hopefully some other fans will visit these locations in future!

How did you find out which grave it was? The church itself has an interesting history and is linked to the family of the Duke of Dorset, who have their family home near by and were Catholic (hence the number of Celtic Cross Graves in the Church Yard). A number of members of the family (dating back to the 1500s) have some very elaborate graves within the church itself.

20200108_140649.jpg

Edited by Chris Birghton

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Chris Birghton said:

How did you find out which grave it was? 

Countless hours of online research, culminating with this site: 

https://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/cemeterylist.php?cemetery=1491&limit=1

If you scroll down to Charles & Mary Baldwin and click on the GPR link for it you'll see the image. Of course, when I was researching this I had no idea it was a Baldwin, I was comparing and contrasting every stone and marker in the church yard against those that are depicted in the film.

Edited by SteveAJones