50th anniversary of Royal Albert Hall

porgie66

A little something in honor of the occasion. 

The video footage of this concert is such a treasure. It's a shame that Zep didn't do anything to commemorate the 50th of this legendary show...at the very least, an audio release on vinyl/CD with a nice booklet with pics and some some background on the gig. 

25 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

The video footage of this concert is such a treasure. It's a shame that Zep didn't do anything to commemorate the 50th of this legendary show...at the very least, an audio release on vinyl/CD with a nice booklet with pics and some some background on the gig. 

Well done, George. These encores are great fun!

Agreed, a vinyl/cd release would be fine, of course the full concert, including Heartbreaker, Since I´ve Been Loving You. Organ Solo & Thank You. I still don´t understand why there is no footage of the missing songs. HB was the third song of the set & SIBLY was played before WIAWSNB- so these rumors about camera-batteries running out of power are plain bullshit to me.

7 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Well done, George. These encores are great fun!

Agreed, a vinyl/cd release would be fine, of course the full concert, including Heartbreaker, Since I´ve Been Loving You. Organ Solo & Thank You. I still don´t understand why there is no footage of the missing songs. HB was the third song of the set & SIBLY was played before WIAWSNB- so these rumors about camera-batteries running out of power are plain bullshit to me.

That does seem odd. I recall reading the multi track tape ran out  at that point in Heartbreaker. But what was the excuse for SIBLY, and TY?? 

I think there was an mic issue with the organ on Thank You IIRC. There was suggestion another nights organ track could have been sub'd in?

It is criminal to hold any multi-track - and especially good pro-footage on a shelf and not release it for whatever reason. Being that it is now 2020!!! Just criminal.

Queen released Hammersmith '73 and Rainbow '74 in audio and video formats. Beatles and Stones have released several 50th anniversary boxes over the past year. Springsteen released his Hammersmith '75 show on video first, then made it available on cd and vinyl.

I just don't get why Royal Albert Hall '70 has not received a full-blown release on vinyl and/or cd yet? A 50th anniversary set would have been perfect.  Golden opportunity lost.

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Queen released Hammersmith '73 and Rainbow '74 in audio and video formats. Beatles and Stones have released several 50th anniversary boxes over the past year. Springsteen released his Hammersmith '75 show on video first, then made it available on cd and vinyl.

I just don't get why Royal Albert Hall '70 has not received a full-blown release on vinyl and/or cd yet? A 50th anniversary set would have been perfect.  Golden opportunity lost.

So true, Sean... it's baffling.😒

Hope you dig our channel. 

Could there be a legit reason for it? I can't see how - unless there are issues with the physical media (deterioration, damage of some kind, or even missing reels). Legal? Why???

It is indeed baffling. It would be good to have some feedback as to what the story is from Jimmy just to know if there is any issue or it's just "running on Zeppelin time". Next interview I hope he is point blank asked about remaining live material - and then pressed on it for clarity. The only questions I recall Jimmy dealt with from the re-release program about material in "the vaults", he always carefully referenced the studio vaults were empty. I don't think this was incidental. I think it is most unlikely there is not good multi track stuff on a shelf somewhere. But who really knows.....

Edited by rm2551

It’s very easy to extract the audio from the DVD at 16 bit/44.1kHz using software like DVD Audio Extractor to create your own CD-quality soundtrack of the RAH show. You can also add the partial tracks included in the DVD menu sections. I did this about 15 years ago and have been listening to it regularly ever since...

6 hours ago, For My Life said:

It’s very easy to extract the audio from the DVD at 16 bit/44.1kHz using software like DVD Audio Extractor to create your own CD-quality soundtrack of the RAH show. You can also add the partial tracks included in the DVD menu sections. I did this about 15 years ago and have been listening to it regularly ever since...

Of course. I'm sure most members of this forum have extracted files of this show, whether on bootleg, downloaded off the internet, or done by themselves.  An official release would hopefully sound better and also could have a really nice booklet, with Jimmy's or the band's recollection of the show, and photos. It could be killer. 

We are just expressing bafflement and frustration, which I guess is sort of cathartic. I've read other comments where people say Jimmy owes us nothing, and while that's absolutely true, I wish he would stop holding a carrot out and keeping true fans hanging on, with the promises of "new material" or whatever. This show would've been the perfect opportunity. Last year was the 50th (or was it '68?) LOL... I dunno....another missed opportunity. 

Edited by porgie66

4 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Of course. I'm sure most members of this forum have extracted files of this show, whether on bootleg, downloaded off the internet, or done by themselves.  An official release would hopefully sound better and also could have a really nice booklet, with Jimmy's or the band's recollection of the show, and photos. It could be killer. 

We are just expressing bafflement and frustration, which I guess is sort of cathartic. I've read other comments where people say Jimmy owes us nothing, and while that's absolutely true, I wish he would stop holding a carrot out and keeping true fans hanging on, with the promises of "new material" or whatever. This show would've been the perfect opportunity. Last year was the 50th (or was it '68?) LOL... I dunno....another missed opportunity. 

I see your point but, I think anyone in his position who was trying to keep a legacy alive might do much the same. If Jimmy really doesn't have anything of true interest to release milking what he does have and creating a mythos of more to come could be the only way to remain relevant in an era where things are forgotten almost overnight. Let's face it he could have been forgotten years ago, even if all that's left for him is to bullshit us he and his product remain in the public eye. Of course I totally agree that He should have had the 50th in mind and saved something for it. He should have had something momentous for the 50th ani of the best band in the world.

Maybe in hindsight, Jimmy should have released DVD for the 50th. It would have been better than some hotwheels and skateboards.

Edited by hummingbird69

5 hours ago, porgie66 said:

:goodpost:

On 1/9/2020 at 3:18 PM, porgie66 said:

I suspect that if it were just up to Jimmy, a lot of things that haven’t happened would indeed have happened over the years.  iirc I’ve read that any potential Zep releases have to be signed off on by all 4 of the respective camps, including of course the R. Plant camp.

The RAH show, with of course a couple of glaring omissions, is at least out there in bootleg/download land in excellent sound quality.  And that might be all we ever get.

• 2 weeks later...

The Albert Hall show was not the first choice for “DVD”, Page’s preference was the Shepton Mallet show but he couldn’t acquire the footage at an acceptable price so went for RAH as they already owned the celluloid and multi tracks. Fingers crossed this legendary show will surface this year for its 50th anniversary or at least an audio release. 

44 minutes ago, Fat Albert 72 said:

The Albert Hall show was not the first choice for “DVD”, Page’s preference was the Shepton Mallet show but he couldn’t acquire the footage at an acceptable price so went for RAH as they already owned the celluloid and multi tracks. Fingers crossed this legendary show will surface this year for its 50th anniversary or at least an audio release. 

Hmm.  Not sure about that.   Seems like a stretch of the facts.   I highly doubt much of Bath (especially in usable and complete type footage) exists.  And quite possibly it was never multitracked.  

9 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Hmm.  Not sure about that.   Seems like a stretch of the facts.   I highly doubt much of Bath (especially in usable and complete type footage) exists.  And quite possibly it was never multitracked.  

Page revealed in a 1978 interview that it was indeed multi tracked while discussing a potential through the years live album. He referenced tapes going back to "Bath and beyond" right up to the '77 US tour. It's also well known that the Bath festival was their second attempt at a film and that the film maker still has physical and legal possession of the celluloid. In an interview around the time of "DVD" Page stated that the Albert Hall gig was plan B as he wasn't prepared to pay the asking price for the Bath footage.  

The potential 1978 triple live retrospective was itself a plan B to keep things rolling until Plant's return to the band. This of course happened resulting in In Through The Out Door so the live album never occurred.

Edited by Fat Albert 72

57 minutes ago, Fat Albert 72 said:

Page revealed in a 1978 interview that it was indeed multi tracked while discussing a potential through the years live album. He referenced tapes going back to "Bath and beyond" right up to the '77 US tour. It's also well known that the Bath festival was their second attempt at a film and that the film maker still has physical and legal possession of the celluloid. In an interview around the time of "DVD" Page stated that the Albert Hall gig was plan B as he wasn't prepared to pay the asking price for the Bath footage.  

The potential 1978 triple live retrospective was itself a plan B to keep things rolling until Plant's return to the band. This of course happened resulting in In Through The Out Door so the live album never occurred.

References and direct quotes specifically about Bath multitracks?

15 minutes ago, Sticks of Fire said:

References and direct quotes specifically about Bath multitracks?

It's been common knowledge since the 70's. If I get time I'll dig the interview out of my archive at some point and give you it verbatim or photograph the interview (I think it was in MM or NME) and the piece about "DVD"; that's if I still have that one. The '78 interview I have for sure as I was actively archiving press cuttings from 1970 through to the mid 80's, post 80's not everything went in! 

20 minutes ago, Sticks of Fire said:

And no, I highly doubt at all that more than a few minutes of Bath shot from a single camera exists.   Certainly not the complete show from beginning to end with two or three cameras.   

Doubt away my friend but it was a full film crew as far as I know. The film company held the visual rights and Zep the audio rights and there's been several fallings out over the years while trying to come to a deal.