About Rehearsal?

weapon2010

We have all seen TSRTS as they are whisked to MSG in limos to perform.My question is in general, on tour in that era after they were beyond huge, did they ever get there early to do rehearsal and sound checks?or was that done for them?or they played so much they didn't have to rehearse? 

At that point they were based out of a handful of cities and would fly in for the show(s) on the Starship, Caesar’s Chariot, or whatever plane they were using that particular tour.  When they would begin a new leg of a tour in ‘73, for example, they would have rehearsals - ie Chicago ‘73 for the July leg. But I doubt they did that in ‘75 and ‘77.  For those tours, they would rehearse before coming over in ‘75 (warm up shows) and ‘77 (Shepperton Studios) - we know for a fact they didn’t even rehearse after the postponement to the ‘77 tour as their equipment had already been sent over here. 

4 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

We have all seen TSRTS as they are whisked to MSG in limos to perform.My question is in general, on tour in that era after they were beyond huge, did they ever get there early to do rehearsal and sound checks?or was that done for them?or they played so much they didn't have to rehearse? 

Here’s some more information to help with your question, weapon2010.

1 minute ago, gibsonfan159 said:

They rehearsed for the 1975 tour at the Metropolitan Sports Arena in Minneapolis in January. Neal Preston got quite a few famous shots here and said they were rehearsing Custard Pie while he was there.

4 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

One night of rehearsals in Minneapolis (1/17/75)….three nights of rehearsals in Dallas (3/29-31/77).

The limo ride footage in TSRTS actually shows them being transported from Greater National Airport (Pittsburgh) to Three Rivers Stadium 7/24/73.

The "return to England" departure footage at the end was filmed at Newark International Airport.

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

One night of rehearsals in Minneapolis (1/17/75)….three nights of rehearsals in Dallas (3/29-31/77).

The limo ride footage in TSRTS actually shows them being transported from Greater National Airport (Pittsburgh) to Three Rivers Stadium 7/24/73.

The "return to England" departure footage at the end was filmed at Newark International Airport.

And, according to The Rover, April 1st. ;) 

19 hours ago, Walter said:

Did he say that? Can he prove it? I don't show it. I'm skeptical. They were flying back and forth from New Orleans daily. Factor in the travel time plus the doors having to open at a certain time for a three hour CONCERT THAT NIGHT -- that's a hell of a long day if they tried to get a fourth day of rehearsals in. A sound check perhaps, such as this did at the Pontiac Silverdome before the doors opened, but a full blown rehearsal? I'm gonna have to sort of disagree with that. I could be wrong though. 

Remember that The Song Remains The Same is just a film and as such is cut to give the impression that they step out of the limo and onto the stage. Sound checks will have occurred at every show. The film is just a representation of a show. It was actually filmed over 3 nights and the backstage sequences were not even filmed at the New York shows.

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Did he say that? Can he prove it? I don't show it. I'm skeptical. They were flying back and forth from New Orleans daily. Factor in the travel time plus the doors having to open at a certain time for a three hour CONCERT THAT NIGHT -- that's a hell of a long day if they tried to get a fourth day of rehearsals in. A sound check perhaps, such as this did at the Pontiac Silverdome before the doors opened, but a full blown rehearsal? I'm gonna have to sort of disagree with that. I could be wrong though. 

No he said that based on the shows he’d seen since ‘70 or ‘71, I believe, he knew they were just getting their shit together and did say he viewed it as a rehearsal show - hence my statement referencing him and the ;)   - especially after he saw  them later on the tour in Houston and Ft Worth.  No worries SAJ, I’m not trying to rewrite history. :lol: 

Edited by Walter

3 minutes ago, weapon2010 said:

oh cool ,where were they filmed

From memory...Peter Grant's tirade? Pittsburgh. The nut chased by security? Baltimore. The security guard letting two fans in? New York.

2 minutes ago, Fat Albert 72 said:

If memory serves Philadelphia 

They didn't perform in Philadelphia in 1973.

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

From memory...Peter Grant's tirade? Pittsburgh. The nut chased by security? Baltimore. The security guard letting two fans in? New York.

They didn't perform in Philadelphia in 1973.

I meant Pittsburg; where the airstrip and motorcade scenes were shot. The backstage stuff was Baltimore. Some of the onstage footage was actually film of them miming at Shepperton, exactly how much is debatable.

3 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

They also rehearsed in England before the 75 tour, Plant tells the audience how Jimmy Broke his finger trying to grab a train on the way to rehearsals at the Feb 3rd show in New York.

I took the original post to mean rehearsals at venues on tour. Plenty of rehearsals were of course held in London for multiple tours. 

Jimmy's left-hand ring finger was crushed in a closing train door he had tried to hold open for a passenger at Victoria Station in London. A visit to a doctor that same day for x-rays confirmed he had broken the tip of his finger.

On 1/13/2020 at 5:11 PM, SteveAJones said:

Yeah he said that as a joke because they were so rusty.  

The one rehearsal, jam session reported on the most...... was the post live aid session they did with tony thompson. This is where robert plant  says that jimmy page was not into the project, showing up late to the jam sessions and dropping his batteries for the fuzz box on the floor and picking them up etc. Then tony thompson had a car accident and that ended the possible led zeppelin sessions. 

On 1/12/2020 at 6:29 PM, Walter said:

On 1/13/2020 at 2:11 PM, SteveAJones said:

It was a joke by The Rover, SAJ. He was alluding to how rusty the band sounded on April 1, 1977.

21 minutes ago, Strider said:

It was a joke by The Rover, SAJ. He was alluding to how rusty the band sounded on April 1, 1977.

Oh, ok and now as we have seen in the Zeppelin Photo Mysteries thread it seems they went to Mother Blue's on Lemmon Avenue afterward. THAT is a long day!

On 1/14/2020 at 2:20 PM, hummingbird69 said:

They also rehearsed in England before the 75 tour, Plant tells the audience how Jimmy Broke his finger trying to grab a train on the way to rehearsals at the Feb 3rd show in New York.

I was looking at pics of Zeps 75 warm up show in Rotterdam.  Pages finger looks okay.  

so what day did he smash finger in train ? 

3 hours ago, bluecongo said:

I was looking at pics of Zeps 75 warm up show in Rotterdam.  Pages finger looks okay.  

He doesn't mention what day it was.  Plant says,  "Were gonna do something that we haven't done, You see Jimmy had a bit of an accident on the way to rehearsals in london. Ah our train services aren't to good and Jimmy tried to catch a train that was goin without him and he caught his finger in the door and he broke a bone in the end of his finger which has given him quite a bit of a problem . It's meant that he couldn't get married on this tour and it's restricted his playing ability to only two fingers but tonight because were gonna try something because were back in New York which we and because if we don't work out all that's off were only gonna end up at the 82 club all night. were gonna try something that we haven't done since we were actually on this stage last, a year last August. we lost a few shows out of our pockets this is a song that speaks for itself... If we can remember it".

Edited by hummingbird69

5 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Otto Masson said:
'I'm having to develop a three-finger technique. But it's a drag. It happened when I was on a train in England - on my way to rehearsal.

"I'm having to develop a three-finger technique, but it's a drag. It happened when I was on a train in England, on my way to rehearsal". -- Jimmy Page (1975)

That remark in addition to no Dazed and Confused in Brussels or Rotterdam leads me to believe it is an undetermined date sometime between December 22nd 1974 and January 10th 1975.