Mystery sound

Steve Stroot

My brother and I have been discussing "Babe, I'm gonna leave you".  I said I thought it was unusual for Led Zeppelin to finish the song with a single note from a trumpet.  My brother contends that the last note of the song is not from a trumpet but rather a "steel string".   Does anyone KNOW how that last note was produced?  You're welcome to guess but I'm really hoping for a knowledgeable, absolute answer.

4 hours ago, Steve Stroot said:

My brother and I have been discussing "Babe, I'm gonna leave you".  I said I thought it was unusual for Led Zeppelin to finish the song with a single note from a trumpet.  My brother contends that the last note of the song is not from a trumpet but rather a "steel string".   Does anyone KNOW how that last note was produced?  You're welcome to guess but I'm really hoping for a knowledgeable, absolute answer.

To my ears it sounds like an E7 chord or similar, with the last note simply allowed to ring out. Regardless, it's not a trumpet.

1 hour ago, Steve Stroot said:

I think it sounds like a trumpet.  You've asserted that there is no trumpet on the album.  OK, you've told me what the sound ISN'T.  But, can you explain to me what it IS?  Do you think it sounds like a guitar?  I don't. 

Actually he did tell you what it was when he said your brother is correct.

I know nothing about guitar or the technical aspects of recording so Pluribus, one of two things... Either 1) You are majorly jerking my chain, in which case I appreciate the humor or 2) You are serious and have honestly answered my question as to how this unique sound is produced, in which case I thank you.  Which is it?

8 hours ago, Steve Stroot said:

I know nothing about guitar or the technical aspects of recording so Pluribus, one of two things... Either 1) You are majorly jerking my chain, in which case I appreciate the humor or 2) You are serious and have honestly answered my question as to how this unique sound is produced, in which case I thank you.  Which is it?

why do you keep coming off in such a doubting way? Several people have answered your question, Plurbius in great detail but instead you doubt and think people are "jerking you chain." There are quite a few musicians on this forum, me included, with very detailed history of the band and its music. How about you accept the answer to your question for what it is, the truth. No one is trying to fool you, only answering your question honestly.

I cannot speak about other forums, maybe you had a bad experience, but around here you ask a question and you will get an honest, sincere answer.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

Thank you to everyone who responded.  As stated, I am woefully ignorant regarding electric guitars, electronic distortion effects and recording technology.  I honestly didn't understand Pluribus' explanation and wondered if his reply was an attempt at humor.  I apologize if my comments were construed as argumentative.  Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge and insight.