The Song Remains The Same 2018 remaster LP/CD differences

Having never played the CD’s for “The Song Remains The Same” 2018 remaster I was surprised to discover a couple of differences with the familiar vinyl when I gave them a spin tonight. 

The CD version of the title track has an intro by Plant and restores Page’s opening note before crashing into the track.

The CD version of Stairway To Heaven reinstates Plant’s “I think this is a...” intro as used on the 2007 LP & CD.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the LP’s and CD’s differ so? I have the deluxe box with the LP’s, CD’s and DVD’s.

4 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

If you think they butchered those songs, wait till you compare no quarter 

agreed. horrendous editing, as it is on D&C as well. how anyone in the band agreed to sign it off is beyond me

Thanks, yes I know the Garden Tapes and the whole Frankenstein edit history and would love a remaster of the original album.

My point was that I was surprised at the different edits of these two tracks within the same 2018 release, ie the LP and CD edits differ within the same release. I’ll give the DVD audio a spin later.

6 hours ago, porgie66 said:

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt.html

In case you've never read this. 

Indeed I’ve been long aware of the Garden Tapes but thanks anyway. They don’t cover the differences I’m referring to.

The Garden Tapes is essentially audio v film audio and 1976 v 2007/18. Where as I’m referencing differences between 2018 LP and CD audio. The 2007 LP and CD edits were the same but not so in 2018. 

On 1/24/2020 at 4:52 AM, Xolo1974 said:

If you think they butchered those songs, wait till you compare no quarter 

“Butchered” is somewhat OTT, the former sounds erroneous though but the latter is a remix which makes no sense.

FYI “No Quarter” is identical as are all other tracks apart from the fades but then that’s only to be expected.

1 hour ago, Fat Albert 72 said:

“Butchered” is somewhat OTT, the former sounds erroneous though but the latter is a remix which makes no sense.

FYI “No Quarter” is identical as are all other tracks apart from the fades but then that’s only to be expected.

Xolo1974 is talking about the machete job done between the 1976 "No Quarter" (sublime) and the 2007 re-release version (a crime against humanity).
Obviously your point is the differences 2007/2018.  The bitter taste left by the 2007 version runs deep.

Edited by woz70

On 1/25/2020 at 12:06 PM, woz70 said:

Xolo1974 is talking about the machete job done between the 1976 "No Quarter" (sublime) and the 2007 re-release version (a crime against humanity).
Obviously your point is the differences 2007/2018.  The bitter taste left by the 2007 version runs deep.

No! My thread is purely about the 2018 remaster and the differences therein between the CD and Vinyl versions. Absolutely nothing to do with 2007, 1976 or which edit is best. Too much speed reading me thinks.    

Edited by Fat Albert 72

On 1/26/2020 at 3:23 PM, Fat Albert 72 said:

No! My thread is purely about the 2018 remaster and the differences therein between the CD and Vinyl versions. Absolutely nothing to do with 2007, 1976 or which edit is best. Too much speed reading me thinks.    

I'm sorry folks are for some reason unable to stay on-topic. I get what you're talking about. I have no definitive answer, but I have noticed that there are small differences between the CD/digital and vinyl versions on most of the live Zep reissues from 2014 through 2018. Some of these small differences come from vinyl-side timing limitations - for example the track order of the 1969 Paris show (Zep I 2014 reissue companion material) and How the West Was Won are both different on the vinyl than on the CD and other digital versions.

The specific differences you've noticed on The Song Remains the Same might not be explainable in that way, but I've often wondered if some of these unnecessary small variations were some kind of artistic choice Page made (or John Davis made and Page signed off on or didn't notice), having to do with the different flow and feel of flipping vinyl sides vs playing an entire CD, Blu-Ray audio disc, or set of digital files through from beginning to end.