What was it about the LA Forum?

Mr. Mountain Hop

Just what was it about the LA Forum for Zeppelin to play some of the very best shows in their career? Was it the audience? I know the band members loved LA. I don't know, but listening to them at the Forum in '70, '72 and '77 especially is to listen to a band on fire. '71 might be the weakest of their Forum shows only because this is when Plant's voice started to decline a little bit (even he gives one of his best performances of 'Immigrant Song' ever at this show). Still a damn good show. '73 and '75 were great too.

What was it about the Forum?

Yes, I imagine it was not only the California sunshine but also the California girls and the high times they had at the Riot House. All this would be paradise for a p*ssy-hungry, young and virile rock and roll band, rampaging across America like the four horsemen, wielding the mighty Thor's hammer of rock and roll. No wonder they always killed at the Forum. I'll never not love those shows. It's like getting off on thunder. God, I wish I was born 20 years earlier so I could have seen them just once.

Edited by Mr. Mountain Hop

8 hours ago, Mr. Mountain Hop said:

Just what was it about the LA Forum for Zeppelin to play some of the very best shows in their career? Was it the audience? I know the band members loved LA. I don't know, but listening to them at the Forum in '70, '72 and '77 especially is to listen to a band on fire. '71 might be the weakest of their Forum shows only because this is when Plant's voice started to decline a little bit (even he gives one of his best performances of 'Immigrant Song' ever at this show). Still a damn good show. '73 and '75 were great too.

What was it about the Forum?

Good question, hard to pin-point, but I would go with what Plant said about California, "Great vibes" all the time. Tan blondes with open-minded attitudes, would also be my guess!

But I have to disagree about 1971 being the "weakest". I would give my left and right testicle (already done with childrearing) to have a soundboard/excellent audience recording (or video for that matter) of those two nights in August!!! I would place very few, if any at all above those shows! Even his voice on the 21st was out of this world . . . just one man's opinion.