2020 NFL Thread

Walter

16 minutes ago, Strider said:

I haven't seen one Budweiser commercial...or any beer commercial, for that matter. WTF?

There was a Bud Light commercial that was mildly amusing. And one for another Bud product - I think a seltzer (I don't get the whole seltzer thing).

TOM BRADY is the GOAT. If that was still in question, it's not even a discussion anymore.

In fact, if there is a discussion, it's "Is Tom Brady the Greatest of All Time among all professional sports?"

Professional sports is about winning Championships. He's played in 10 Super Bowls and won 7, MVP in five.

Most impressively, at 43, he goes to a team that had won nothing for 18 years and takes them all the way.

So now we're talking 20+ seasons of "All I do is win, win, win".

Unprecedented!

Other Super Bowl notes: the game itself did not live up to the hype, the Halftime Show was a snooze and Tony Romo flat out sucks as a commentator.

Edited by SteveAJones

First time in a long time I did not watch any of  the Super Bowl. TBH don't know why I watch anyway, even after watching most years since 1983 I still don't get the game, too many stop starts for me, not enough flow imo..

Edited by JTM

18 minutes ago, JTM said:

First time in a long time I did not watch any of  the Super Bowl. TBH don't know why I watch anyway, even after watching most years since 1983 I still don't get the game, too many stop starts for me, not enough flow imo..

When I lived in England I watched a fair amount of rugby on television, and I did find it difficult to watch American football for quite awhile afterward.

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

When I lived in England I watched a fair amount of rugby on television, and I did find it difficult to watch American football for quite awhile afterward.

There's still a lot of Rugby on free to air TV probably because the for profit broadcasters like Sky don't see it as a cash cow like Premier League Footie, it's popularity is not as great, more a regional than a nationwide game. For example Wigan or St Helens are strong Rugby towns but the fan base of those teams doesn't really extend outside of those places.

American football, IMO, has progressed to the point of the game is the sideshow for the massive marketing around the game. Commercials, commercials, commercials. As JTM said, not enough flow. Football needs to be revamped bigtime. 90 minute clock which does not stop except for halftime or time-outs (three per team). You wanna dick around, fine, but the clock keeps running. Taunting should result in the expulsion of the player for the remainder of the game.

Brady played a good game though. I am not a big fan of Brady, never liked the Pat's so, there is that but you have to give the guy credit where credit is due. Until someone better comes along, Brady is the best at what he does and good for him.

6 hours ago, JTM said:

There's still a lot of Rugby on free to air TV probably because the for profit broadcasters like Sky don't see it as a cash cow like Premier League Footie, it's popularity is not as great, more a regional than a nationwide game. For example Wigan or St Helens are strong Rugby towns but the fan base of those teams doesn't really extend outside of those places.

Great observation! 

Premier League Footie (what we call soccer) bores the shit out of me. I find it unwatchable, and yet I always enjoyed tuning in on the radio to have it play as background noise. The roar of the crowds, the chanting, the over-excited announcers calling the games.

On 2/8/2021 at 10:04 AM, BobDobbs said:

American football, IMO, has progressed to the point of the game is the sideshow for the massive marketing around the game. Commercials, commercials, commercials. As JTM said, not enough flow. Football needs to be revamped bigtime. 90 minute clock which does not stop except for halftime or time-outs (three per team). You wanna dick around, fine, but the clock keeps running. Taunting should result in the expulsion of the player for the remainder of the game.

Brady played a good game though. I am not a big fan of Brady, never liked the Pat's so, there is that but you have to give the guy credit where credit is due. Until someone better comes along, Brady is the best at what he does and good for him.

Your right about the commercialization and the shit music I must also add.  Brady is soooooo overated.  He is NOT THET REASON THEY WON.  They won because they lost one of their key blockers in the Bills game, and could not keep the pass rush out.  I do believe what happened to Reid's son two nights before played into Andy's mindset.  How could it not?  I am going to start a new NFL thread for the upcoming season.  

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Brady is soooooo overated.  He is NOT THET REASON THEY WON.  They won because they lost one of their key blockers in the Bills game, and could not keep the pass rush out.  I do believe what happened to Reid's son two nights before played into Andy's mindset.  How could it not?  I am going to start a new NFL thread for the upcoming season.  

The first SIX TIMES he WON A SUPER BOWL all I heard was Belichick was the reason, now it's because the opponent lost one of their key blockers. Too funny! 

Tom Brady || Old Man Still Got It || Bucs Highlights Mix (2020-21 Season) - YouTube

Heh, I like all the excuses the Lamestream media have come up with to explain this...Uuuuh, it's because streaming is so popular....Errrr, it's because Covid is preventing people from having Super Bowl parties...etc.  I know DIE-HARD NFL fans here in the office that used to sign up and pay every year for the NFL package.  Now  they've stopped watching all together.  One even said "Yea, my brother got the package and asked if I wanted his password and I told him 'Nah, even free, it's not worth it anymore'"! 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 12:02 PM, kingzoso said:

Earl Campbell is the Greatest running back of all time.  

Go to YouTube and watch his highlights.  The Man was unstoppable.

I grew up in the 1970's in Houston, Texas.

I saw him play and often.  Sure he was great.  Not as good as OJ or Brown.  No way.  I cant stand Simpson but he was some player and if he had not done what he did outside of the NFL he would hav been mentioned much more often.  Him and Jim Brown get my vote if all time.  I saw Simpson run around the Steel Curtain like they were pop warner players and go 80 yards for a TD.  1st and 10, Fergy handing off.  Then on a Turkey game they knew he was getting the ball every play, but could not stop him.  I have seen them all of course except Bronko Negurski and guys that are back in the 40s

• 1 month later...